Chapala.com Webboard

San Miguel Crime rising

geeser

1 hour ago, geeser said:

Security worsening as San Miguel crime rises
Walking at night is not as safe as it used to be, says expat

Story here

I don't when "used to be" was, but I lived there from 2004 to 2008 and during my time there, there were muggings downtown, purse snatching from evening walkers, a home invasion next door to me and a serial rapist terrifying the female residents.  It was mostly hushed up in the news because of the town's dependence on tourism and real estate.  I didn't leave because of the crime problems:  it was for other reasons, but I didn't walk around alone at night, either.

Guest bennie2

the gov of that state made sure the criminal was caught. he said there were too many wealthy expats there & this would hurt business. all this was written up in the local news paper. i was there several times, it was a nice place. it seemed to change around '09. 

Were there the entire month of September.  First visited SMA in 2006; then annually 2008 through 2011.  

As with every trip there, we walked all over, all times of day and evening.  Seemed the same as ever.  Lots of people out every night on the streets, restaurants full, busy shops/stores.   

There had been a fire-bombing of a business in the wee hours the night before we arrived, however, it appeared to be a case of a business shake-down, not a target of patrons.  While it did harm to part of a building (the building reopened the next day), and a few people were slightly injured, it seemed to be a 'warning' to the business owner (probably) for extortion.  

The main difference we noted between this recent visit and previous ones was the caliber of the newer restaurants....several on par with San Francisco, NYC, DC eateries.  Two newly opened gourmet 'food courts' where a variety of new young chefs share the same buildings (not at all like a tacky US mall food court, these are pretty places to sit, eat, relax).  Amazing food, service, style.  And with the peso:USD exchange, well within our budget.  

The person quoted in the article David Bossman is now scrambling saying he was misquoted and there are numerous errors. He is working with the city Administration but unfortunately, this article has been read by thousands and likely in several counties. As to the "bombs" a more accurate description may have been over-sized fireworks as there was almost no damage done and as noted open next day. It was a shakedown for protection money but not likely from a large powerful group as the impact would have been greater. Friends with two hotels in centro have had calls for protection money but the police intervened. 

Personally, I have advised David his approach makes him a target as many business owners and several people posting on FB page San Miguel de Allende Sin Censura are threatening extreme harm to him and some saying kill him. His photo is posted several times. He was also interviewed on Televisa and hard to refute what he said. And yes he speaks enough Spanish to communicate esp since his wife is Colombian and speaks no English. 

SMA is a major tourist destination, greater than ever, reportedly generating 80% of the city's income. Majority of tourists are nationals. The city is a major wedding destination and at least 6 such weddings take place every weekend. This past weekend one groom was from Portugal. It is not uncommon to have wedding planners having a budget of hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of guests from all over Mexico. In addition, a large industrial park has several major international car part manufacturers growing rapidly employing likely a 1000 people and more plants under construction. In my 8 years the growth in the past 3 years has been the most. So when you see a person, esp. an expat, associated with an article that can affect tourism and industry they best look over their shoulder and best make sure it is accurate.

saludos

Sonia

Sonia's assertion that making comments that others would prefer not to have made bring death threats and the need to look over your shoulder is truly shocking. It is the casual acceptance by others that makes this type of intimidation not only survive, but also appear to be acceptable. If you do not agree with an opinion, speak out, but respect the right and benefits of freedom of speech.

Gerry I suggest you read SMA Sin Censura with over 100 comments by people openly posting their names threatening David Bossman and referring to crimes I am sure he has never committed. They are threatening his life several times. And that is only one of several web sites where these comments appear. Knowing the language and what others are saying I do suggest he look over his shoulder and any one else who has for 3 years criticized city officials, police etc by means including newspaper articles, YouTube and Televisa which he has never stated were misprints. Last week I suggested again to him, he best be careful.

in the past month in his article in the Atencion he accused previous mayor Mauricio Trejo of having brought into SMA his narco friends from Michoacan. This is less that a wise comment against a very wealthy, connected person. 

This time senior city officials have informed him they are not happy. One newspaper article being critical  and embellished and a person may be able to try and disown but it has been non-stop for a very long time in a very passive / aggressive manner.

4 hours ago, Gerry said:

Sonia's assertion that making comments that others would prefer not to have made bring death threats and the need to look over your shoulder is truly shocking. It is the casual acceptance by others that makes this type of intimidation not only survive, but also appear to be acceptable. If you do not agree with an opinion, speak out, but respect the right and benefits of freedom of speech.

Gerry, best to bone up on what constitutes "free speech" in Mexico. You might save yourself some problems.

Crime in general, including against expats, in SMA has been and is still rising and well known by many, but has been hidden from the public to continue to induce monied outsiders to invest or live there.

Now it is clear why. Speak publicly about it and your life is threatened. Maybe worse.

Guest bennie2

gerry, same in the US & worldwide. mexico is no different. thats the all way govermnents roll. if you think facebook or twitter are different, you have some things to learn. you cant go against big business or powerful elected officals. the artical could not be deleted (like a FB post), so they had to shut him w/a warning. this is the way the world has worked for 1000s of years.

I did not say you can not raise issues. It is in the manner. This is how one may want to proceed with issues. Today back to the Presidencia (City Hall) where my husband and I met with Gerardo a city councillor and owner of Muro Cafe. We (sometimes together, sometimes individually) have been meeting with the Director of SAPASMA several times to get city water to us and about 40 homes but process has been slow. Immediately Gerardo made a call. The meeting with the Director of SAPASMA begins in a few minutes. My husband also mentioned how happy he was with Lic Gabriela Carrera, mayor's assitant who immediately had sound system turned down at the fair when he met with her over 3 weeks ago. The fair lasted 3 weeks. We and thousands of others in half the city would hear this pounding music to 2:30 am. We live over 3 km away. At that time my husband presented the Federal noise laws encouraged by information and posts on this web site. As noted by Gerardo, now the city is revising all their noise laws to match Federal laws of which they were unaware of. Quiet diplomacy works in Mexico. Hopefully, San Miguel will be a little less noisy when it comes to loudest events. Quiet diplomacy works.

On this web board you have an advocate who works with the city on many issues. That person is not writing syndicated articles seen around the world attacking and trying to embarrass the administration and suggesting past mayor Mauricio Trejo was affiliated with Michoacan narcos nor on Televisa, YouTube, appearing in newspaper articles every few weeks for 3 plus years. Point being, Mexicans are very proud and especially the wealthy and powerful do not take kindly to these public attacks. 

Al Berca actually crime against expats is down in SMA and thanks to web boards etc it is anything but hidden. Rightfully, you can not stop expats from speaking out as we often see here. 

saludos

Sonia

• 3 weeks later...

The statistics and this article sets the record straight as to crime in SMA. The statistics for all of Mexico come from INEGI. They report what is reported to them. In Mexico, most crimes are not reported but it is a basis for comparison. Few people including expats look at INEGI. but it has many stats not found elsewhere. David Bossman was not misquoted as he has many articles etc quoting him in the same manner. 

http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/2016/10/27/safety-figures-in-san-miguel/

Sonia I can understand you being defensive of your fine city, I think that goes for most of us wherever we live. We wish the truth to be published, albeit good news or bad news.

Sadly statistics in  Mexico are woefully inadequate and questionable. Perception however is sometimes a better barometer to what is happening. For example just asking in your church, social group etc for a hands up who has been robbed will give you an accurate % of the incidents accruing.

When the Mexican government says the inflation is "X" and every time you go to buy your tin of Tuna it has increased 10%, and you have to go to the ATM machine more times, and your maid wants an increase, you know the MX statistics are incorrect. Of course this is not limited to Mexico

Because of the stronger US$, the US ex pats are living Lala Lala land and are feeling minor affects of the COL increase. I tell my friends going to the ATM machine is like playing the slots in Vegas , you are always a winner 

God forbid we were living in Venezuela our southern neighbor .

• 6 months later...

I lived in San Miguel for 6 years. Criminals follow the money. There is a lot of money there.. Mexicans and gringos alike. The infrastructure there can not support the residents and tourists and is about to burst at it's seams. To me this is a safety issue. I once watched a building burn to the ground while listening to the fire engine siren.. Probably trapped in heavy traffic.. Slowly making its way to the fire. Too late. If I had had a serious accident or heart attack in Centro there.. Probably same scenario.. And I would be dead. 

I knew many victims of crime.. First hand.. Rape.. Theft.. Burglary.. Assault. It got worse. I left..i was worried. Glad I did.. Reported murders are on a dramatic rise... God knows what the truth is with total crime. Bossman may well be risking his life. At least he is trying to get the truth across. That takes balls. Meanwhile.. Business people.. Like Sonia.. Don't like the truth.. It's bad for cash flow. Now that's pathetic. 

Speaking of which. Corruption. Corruption makes that town go around. Ugly condo complex in the once pretty Centro hillside.. Decimated for greed. One of many examples there. 

San Miguel I understand is now plagued with more crime.. Crazy high prices for locals and tourists and too many cars. Why would anyone want to stay there? Think about that. 

On 10/13/2016 at 6:02 AM, Gerry said:

You don't have to go to San Miguel to find examples of this.  They are right here and some of the participants are from the expat community who came from countries that respect free speech.  Unfortunately, that concept didn't take hold with these individuals.

Second observation is that so little crime is reported here I don't see how one can draw conclusions as to whether it is increasing or not.  Certainly the murder rate seems to be increasing but who knows about the rest?  I don't get a sense crime is increasing locally but IMO one can't draw any conclusions about the general situation based on this place.

shutting down of free speech has been happening in the US & europe for several years. people are brainwashed by politics, mainstream media, academia, hollywood. violence is now acceptable, even praised by news commenators. western nations are turning into bananna respublics. the offending posters here are just following what they absorb. there is push back now on an international level. that also includes this forum. not everyone sees things the same way. if you behave like an unhinged lunatic, than you may be warned or banned here. (there is another board for that). this is not a college campus. discussion & debate are welcome on chapala.com.  

Archived