Chapala.com Webboard

Purchasing Firearms from Mexico military outpost

6 hours ago, lcscats said:

My house came with a Colt Peacemaker (famous gun of the west) and some kind of civil war gun with both Union and CSA markings.  I worried about the legality of these so I took apart the display and found both guns barrels and bullets are filled with Lead to my surprise and quite useless as guns and bullets anymore.  I assume this makes them display legal as long as they stay in the house.  Am I correct?

Oooo, you could have had something very valuable there had they not been tampered with.  I assume they are display legal since they are non-functioning but don't know for sure.   I've been to restaurants in Mexico that have old shotguns and Mexican Mausers hanging on walls.  Assume that is the same situation.  Boy, if they were mine I'd be investigating how best to restore them.  Doesn't take too much heat to melt lead.........  Bad idea though since then they might not be legal anymore, but worth a ton of money if not damaged too much.

A few years ago I purchased a Colt .38 pistol from a Mexican citizen. The sales transaction took place at the Army base in Guad. There's a special office on base that supervises and facilitates the transaction. The Army issues the new owner ( I'm an American) with a permit and you are allowed to keep the weapon at your home. Transportation of the weapon is essentially prohibited. 

Pedro,  ATF controls exporting firearms, so they call the shots when you want to have anything exported. Mexico has similar requirements. You cannot simply take something out of the country, legally. There is a form and a procedure to export firearms out of Mexico as well. Somewhere on this post I think I posted something from ATF about exporting firearms.

And Icsscats, I am not familiar with your situation, BUT, I would check into it. Just because someone had filled the barrels with lead may not change the legal definition of that firearm. Find an attorney who can clarify your situation. You don't want a local police officer deciding your fate on what he thinks may be still a legal firearm.  

17 hours ago, pedro malo said:

Oooo, you could have had something very valuable there had they not been tampered with.  I assume they are display legal since they are non-functioning but don't know for sure.   I've been to restaurants in Mexico that have old shotguns and Mexican Mausers hanging on walls.  Assume that is the same situation.  Boy, if they were mine I'd be investigating how best to restore them.  Doesn't take too much heat to melt lead.........  Bad idea though since then they might not be legal anymore, but worth a ton of money if not damaged too much.

Come to think of it I have an old awful Trade Musket over the door I forgot.  Yes I could restore the pistols but why?  They make a wonderful display around a bunch of old badges  Including a Kansas City Brothel inspectors badge which is my favorite.  The house came with a lot of neat stuff like Tomahawks and Sioux brest plate all behind glass.  So am I legal??  I have never got a clear answer about antiques.  Guess I will ask Spenser and post answer.

Harry, What kind of "gun license" are you talking about? Unless the laws have changed, I don't think that there is any license requirement to purchase a firearm.  I think there is something similar to our license to carry, "SEDENA 02-025 Licencia de portacion de arma de fuego ", which they say is difficult, but not impossible to get. Is that what you are referring to? 

The proper terms are not being used.

A license to carry a firearm may be what he is talking about? It is complicated and if it is not done correctly, you will get denied, but this is not required to PURCHASE a firearm. 

You DO NOT need a "permit" or a "license" to purchase a firearm from another person, but you DO need to register the firearm (it is a registration and not a license). You DO need a permit (RFA-FC-009 ) to purchase a firearm from the military ( a ONE time thing, and it is not needed to make a private purchase), and you need to specify what you want to buy. You cannot just go there and go shopping. That is why you need to know what they have in stock. You can buy up to 10 firearms for hunting and target, but you can only have one handgun for home defense (proteccion de domicilio). If you already own a firearm, it will be subtracted from these numbers.  And you can also purchase ammunition there. (I am not sure what Harry is referring to about buying one firearm a year. I can't find that here.)

Whenever you buy ammunition, you must show your "registration" to the firearm that you own and are buying the ammo for. You can buy ammo in Jocotepec.

You DO need a permit to transport firearms AND/OR carry them. TWO separate animals. 

Here are a couple of sites that may be helpful, IF you are interested in buying a firearm from the military. And if you go, please let me know how you made out.!! 

Purchasing firearms from SEDENA 

Guide to buying firearms from DCAM 

Buying a firearm from a private party is different, and has been discussed elsewhere. All you need to do is register the firearm at the Guadalajara military outpost.  This site has instructions on how to do this;  Registration of firearms . In fact, there are dozens of new and used firearms posted for sale here; Firearms for sale in Mexico . 

Mexicoarmado is my favorite place to visit to get answers to many of these questions. There are people there that can help you out and guide you in the right direction.

Your BEST bet is to contact Attorney Spencer, or whomever you want, before you go out and buy anything on your own. Don't take my word on any of this.

Good luck and happy shooting.

• 1 month later...

I came across this web site from a group that will help you buy your firearm at SEDENA. They offer to pick you up at the airport and bring you back. They have posted step by step instructions and all the forms you will need, along with a catalogue of the firearms that are available for purchase. Very informative web site. I have no idea who the group is and what, if any, costs for their services. Check it out;

http://www.laarmeria.com.mx/index.html

• 3 months later...
On 21/10/2016 at 8:45 AM, thesarge7 said:

The proper terms are not being used.

A license to carry a firearm may be what he is talking about? It is complicated and if it is not done correctly, you will get denied, but this is not required to PURCHASE a firearm. 

You DO NOT need a "permit" or a "license" to purchase a firearm from another person, but you DO need to register the firearm (it is a registration and not a license). You DO need a permit (RFA-FC-009 ) to purchase a firearm from the military ( a ONE time thing, and it is not needed to make a private purchase), and you need to specify what you want to buy. You cannot just go there and go shopping. That is why you need to know what they have in stock. You can buy up to 10 firearms for hunting and target, but you can only have one handgun for home defense (proteccion de domicilio). If you already own a firearm, it will be subtracted from these numbers.  And you can also purchase ammunition there. (I am not sure what Harry is referring to about buying one firearm a year. I can't find that here.)

Whenever you buy ammunition, you must show your "registration" to the firearm that you own and are buying the ammo for. You can buy ammo in Jocotepec.

You DO need a permit to transport firearms AND/OR carry them. TWO separate animals. 

Here are a couple of sites that may be helpful, IF you are interested in buying a firearm from the military. And if you go, please let me know how you made out.!! 

Purchasing firearms from SEDENA 

Guide to buying firearms from DCAM 

Buying a firearm from a private party is different, and has been discussed elsewhere. All you need to do is register the firearm at the Guadalajara military outpost.  This site has instructions on how to do this;  Registration of firearms . In fact, there are dozens of new and used firearms posted for sale here; Firearms for sale in Mexico . 

Mexicoarmado is my favorite place to visit to get answers to many of these questions. There are people there that can help you out and guide you in the right direction.

Your BEST bet is to contact Attorney Spencer, or whomever you want, before you go out and buy anything on your own. Don't take my word on any of this.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Hello, 

I'm a Mexican national, living in the Yucatan and I stumbled upon this thread, I found it interesting. I have been to the DCAM store many times and have had to go through the very bureaucratic process of soliciting a permit to purchase the firearm from the Mexican Army Directorate of Arms and Munitions (that is, more or less what DCAM stands for). 

Here is a web page that I came across that might be more helpful in figuring and explaining the lawful procedure to purchase the gun from DCAM. As it has been stated, private sales are permitted and the purchaser needs to "register" the gun at any army post (here on this forum, the north GDL army based is referred to numerously since its a Chapala based forum, I would guess). 

In order for you to be able to get the 10 guns that have been talked about in previous posts, you need to be a member of a "Club de Tiro" which the LAW (Ley Federal de Control de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos / Federal Law for the Control of Firearms and Explosives) specifically alludes to as a "gateway" to own more that just the one gun for "home defense". In Guadalajara there are many clubs, but from its facilities and world renowned capacity to hold international shooting matches, "Club Cinegético Jaliciense" stands out as a great choice for you people in Chapala and whereabouts. 

So good luck with your TRAMITES and let us know how it all went!

SALUDOS DESDE YUCATAN

SMUNOZAM

On 7/10/2016 at 9:37 AM, thesarge7 said:

I don't know. That is the way they listed them.

The DCAM store (that is to say the Mexican Army) imports directly from many world gun manufacturers. They are both US based (dollar amounts) as well as Europe based (Euro amounts). Actual sales are carried out in pesos (you can even pay for your gun with a credit or debit card), and the purchase will reflect the official "tipo de cambio" for each of those currencies. 

Good night

SMUNOZAM

On 8/10/2016 at 10:08 AM, pedro malo said:

Thank you for this clarification El Saltos.  Do you know of a legal way to import a favorite family heirloom that would fall within the acceptable legal prerequisites for caliber, etc. that one could then take in to be registered?  So I'm to understand that if somehow my own firearm were to find it's way into Mexico, I could then legalize it with the military?

Thanks!

PEDRO MALO: 

There is a LEGAL WAY to import guns into Mexico; check out this web page by the Mexican Army.

The prerequisites are even more than to buy directly from DCAM and the amount to pay for the "DERECHO" or "right" (the sum you pay at the bank and bring the sealed ticket to pick up the import permit) is substantially larger than the $39 or so pesos it takes to register a gun that is already in Mexico (more or less 4,500 pesos).

As you say "if somehow my own firearm were to find it's way into Mexico, I could then legalize it with the military (to register)" I say: YES. NO QUESTIONS ASKED ON THE ORIGIN OF THE GUN BY THE SOLDIERS AT THE ARMY POST. They will just ask for your ID, "comprobante de domicilio" (phone or electric bill) and payment of "derecho". If you are a member of a Shooting Club, they will probably ask you for a copy of your "Club Member ID" and list the gun's use as "Tiro Deportivo / Cacería" (Sports Shooting / Hunting). If not, they will list the gun as "PROTECCION DE DOMICILIO" (home protection). 

Hope this sheds some light. 

SALUDOS DESDE MERIDA

SMUNOZAM

16 hours ago, SMUNOZAM said:

PEDRO MALO: 

There is a LEGAL WAY to import guns into Mexico; check out this web page by the Mexican Army.

The prerequisites are even more than to buy directly from DCAM and the amount to pay for the "DERECHO" or "right" (the sum you pay at the bank and bring the sealed ticket to pick up the import permit) is substantially larger than the $39 or so pesos it takes to register a gun that is already in Mexico (more or less 4,500 pesos).

As you say "if somehow my own firearm were to find it's way into Mexico, I could then legalize it with the military (to register)" I say: YES. NO QUESTIONS ASKED ON THE ORIGIN OF THE GUN BY THE SOLDIERS AT THE ARMY POST. They will just ask for your ID, "comprobante de domicilio" (phone or electric bill) and payment of "derecho". If you are a member of a Shooting Club, they will probably ask you for a copy of your "Club Member ID" and list the gun's use as "Tiro Deportivo / Cacería" (Sports Shooting / Hunting). If not, they will list the gun as "PROTECCION DE DOMICILIO" (home protection). 

Hope this sheds some light. 

SALUDOS DESDE MERIDA

SMUNOZAM

Thank you for taking the time to contribute here SMUNOZAM!  I will look into all of your suggestions.

No conosco Merida, el ultimo hogar de Pedro Infante.  Un dia quiero investigar su rumbo.  Entiendo que es una ciudad colonial muy bonita.  Gracias de nuevo y le regreso saludos del lago!

pedro malo

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

Maybe I missed something here, if you are prohibited to transport a gun then how do transport the gun from the military base where it was purchased to your home?     Do you get something like a one day pass to transport the gun?

Yes, your new registration is your permit to take the firearm to your home.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

One might conceive the idea that setting up a process to register a gun is designed to permit that person to have a gun, but also to identify primarily that person as a gun owner, a known admission, a known responsibility for that piece, and a known piece of information should a gun ever be used in self defense, that it was registered in good faith.

A serial number is not the only way to identify a particular gun.

The matchup to the gun in possession can be accomplished by other means, both photographic and verbal descriptions, not to mention post-use ballistics.

Perhaps the laughs come easy, or perhaps no question is a stupid question.

I own a machete that is sharp enough that it can take a man's head off in one swing. Perhaps taking that to be registered and admitted to be in my possession would also show good faith to law enforcement. Or maybe I should engrave a serial number on it first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2016 at 9:27 AM, thesarge7 said:

First; You can purchase a firearm from a private party. I have done it and it is legal.

Of course it's legal.  If you use it to shoot someone it becomes illegal.   

17 hours ago, southland said:

One might conceive the idea that setting up a process to register a gun is designed to permit that person to have a gun, but also to identify primarily that person as a gun owner, a known admission, a known responsibility for that piece, and a known piece of information should a gun ever be used in self defense, that it was registered in good faith.

A serial number is not the only way to identify a particular gun.

The matchup to the gun in possession can be accomplished by other means, both photographic and verbal descriptions, not to mention post-use ballistics.

Perhaps the laughs come easy, or perhaps no question is a stupid question.

I own a machete that is sharp enough that it can take a man's head off in one swing. Perhaps taking that to be registered and admitted to be in my possession would also show good faith to law enforcement. Or maybe I should engrave a serial number on it first.

That's good!  It would be really helpful if crimes were actually investigated here.  I suggest you(third person) buy a really nice one, state of the art, expensive.  That way the cop who takes it from you will be so excited over the fact he now owns it he'll forget he ever saw you.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/16/2018 at 5:11 PM, modeeper said:

Of course it's legal.  If you use it to shoot someone it becomes illegal.   

Why would it become illegal if you shoot someone? Isn't that the purpose of having a firearm at home? For self-defense? If you are in fear of death or bodily harm, you have the right to defend yourself, and if you happen to have a legally owned firearm and use it to defend yourself, then you should be off the hook, criminally. However, just like in the U.S., there are civil repercussions that one will most likely encounter. But, at least you are alive.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, thesarge7 said:

Why would it become illegal if you shoot someone? Isn't that the purpose of having a firearm at home? For self-defense? If you are in fear of death or bodily harm, you have the right to defend yourself, and if you happen to have a legally owned firearm and use it to defend yourself, then you should be off the hook, criminally. However, just like in the U.S., there are civil repercussions that one will most likely encounter. But, at least you are alive.

I don't think that the family of the person you shot in self-defense is going to let you off the hook. 

Staying alive after that is the tricky part. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2