Chapala.com Webboard

Food Lake Container

5Jacks

The Ranch is having a fund raiser at the Food Lake Container restaurant on Tues. Oct 11. Please check the poster on Furry Friends site for address of the restaurant.

The restaurant's menu is wide ranging...arrachera, hamburgers, baguettes, lots of sushi........... They also have a bar serving wine, artesenal beer, margaritas etc...

The name comes from the railroad box cars that are used for the separate parts of the restaurant.  It is unique to this area ...something out of the ordinary.

I believe there was a write up in the last Guad Reporter, although I did not see it myself.

The name is just an example of how difficult it can be to use a language that is not your own, I think. I have a good friend who's official papers had the middle name used as the last name or years, because of the Mexican style of using maternal and paternal names causing confusion in the registration office.

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

The name is just an example of how difficult it can be to use a language that is not your own, I think. I have a good friend who's official papers had the middle name used as the last name or years, because of the Mexican style of using maternal and paternal names causing confusion in the registration office.

Several of my 'official' papers are still that way.  My bank calls me by my first and middle names, not my first and last names.  Two other companies where I am a member of so-called 'preferred status' clubs do the same thing.  It's still a little disconcerting to be addressed as "Señora Elizabeth"...

16 hours ago, 5Jacks said:

Has anyone tried this place yet?

I can't get past the name of it (how much more unappetizing of a name could they come up with?), so unless someone posts a glowing review...I'm not likely to give it a try.

I was going to post your question today also.  They have a sandwich board out front advertising hamburgers and sushi plus some other items and you could see tables set up inside.  At first, due to the name, I thought it was take out only.  I'll try it this week and report. 

They are open 7 days a week from 1.00 p.m.  The seating is all under cover. Our group ordered carne asada, hamburger, baguette, peanut chicken, and lots of sushi. There were no complaints. Everyone was happy.

There is a hotel in West Ajijic named El Pescador that uses the recycled box car containers for hotel rooms  as well.  It is beautifully done. There is a restaurant on the roof with a nice view toward the lake and a swimming pool.

It is on the Carretera in Riberas on the lake side, a few businesses west of S&S Auto, Puritan Poultry, new Have Hammers location. If anyone went to the open house for the Lakeside Assistance Group a week or so ago (the fire and first responder equipment procuring group), the warehouse where that was located is just a couple of doors east of this restaurant. 

It is really four restaurants in one location, Great Margaritas, Guacamole, and spicy salsa made at our table, I had the Arrachera Shrimp Baguette with great tasty sauce, My partner had a scrumpious Hamburger with all the trimming and good fries The service was good and the decor and music comfortable, all for 255 pesos for the two dinners, this place is a keeper..

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:18 PM, vivien said:

They are open 7 days a week from 1.00 p.m.  The seating is all under cover. Our group ordered carne asada, hamburger, baguette, peanut chicken, and lots of sushi. There were no complaints. Everyone was happy.

There is a hotel in West Ajijic named El Pescador that uses the recycled box car containers for hotel rooms  as well.  It is beautifully done. There is a restaurant on the roof with a nice view toward the lake and a swimming pool.

El Pescador is nice. I've yet to hear of anyone who has tried the restaurant. 

On 10/8/2016 at 11:51 AM, ComputerGuy said:

I don't see any trash in these pictures. Some rubble, yes, from perhaps construction or the rains.

I think some of us have been here too long to see the trash..The following recent OP from some one recently here hits the nail on the head..Sorry but I think "we" oldies have become too complacent  about the trash and condition of the roads at Lakeside...

We just retired to Ajijic and have been wondering about the trash/litter problem.  We enter the Carreterra at Rio Bravo, and have been astonished by the amount of trash being dumped at the corner.  It seems like whole truckloads including furntiure and construction waste are being abandoned there.  During the last rain storm the arroyo near Rio Bravo was totally clogged by what appeared to be construction debris and trash....this was noted as pieces of concrete and wire plus plastic bottles were streaming down Rio Bravo and Calle Ocampo.  We're having some remodelling done on our home, and we asked our Mexican contractor about this situation, and he indicated that there really is no dump for people to take trash to, so they dump it in the arroyos or wherever.  Do the expats have a volunteer system to help clean up Lakeside?  Does anyone know if there is a dump?  Please let me know what you guys who have lived here longer know....and what we can do to make Lakeside clean and beautiful...thanks!

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I think some of us have been here too long to see the trash..The following recent OP from some one recently here hits the nail on the head..Sorry but I think "we" oldies have become too complacent  about the trash and condition of the roads at Lakeside...

We just retired to Ajijic and have been wondering about the trash/litter problem.  We enter the Carreterra at Rio Bravo, and have been astonished by the amount of trash being dumped at the corner.  It seems like whole truckloads including furntiure and construction waste are being abandoned there.  During the last rain storm the arroyo near Rio Bravo was totally clogged by what appeared to be construction debris and trash....this was noted as pieces of concrete and wire plus plastic bottles were streaming down Rio Bravo and Calle Ocampo.  We're having some remodelling done on our home, and we asked our Mexican contractor about this situation, and he indicated that there really is no dump for people to take trash to, so they dump it in the arroyos or wherever.  Do the expats have a volunteer system to help clean up Lakeside?  Does anyone know if there is a dump?  Please let me know what you guys who have lived here longer know....and what we can do to make Lakeside clean and beautiful...thanks!

To the moderators.......this is supposed to be a thread about the Food Lake Container restaurant.  Some people have turned it into a discussion about trash in other parts of town, nowhere close to this restaurant.  Can we please get these off-topic posts removed, or moved somewhere else?

On 10/5/2016 at 9:38 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Being a fan of "quality" sushi, that's something I'd like to find out about. So far around here, the only good stuff I've ever had comes from the ladies at the Monday Market.

Ms Chillin had the super sushi roll there, it was huge, all the condiments too. She said this was the best sushi she has found so far in Mexico.

Archived