Chapala.com Webboard

Payment for Maids

Jeanneboo

Maids are there for 8 or 9 hours per day 6 days a week and get about $900 to $1100 pesos [about on average $20 pesos per hour]  plus meals, IMSS, paid holidays, Christmas bonus and vacations with pay and a healthy severence pay. Cleaning ladies are there anywhere from 5 to 16 hours per week or every other week and get about whatever the going rate is. $50 to $60 per hour I suppose there at Lakeside.

We just gave our cleaning lady a nice raise to $35.00 pesos per hour, 7 to 7 1/2 hours once a week plus a ride in and back and one meal.

I pay my cleaning lady 50 pesos an hour plus pay her bus.  I am raising her to 60 pesos per hour next week. She works hard and has a family to feed and with the devaluation of the mexican pesos - it's hard for them to make ends meet. 

I just can't believe those who say "don't spoil the market" - really?  Amazes me.

1 hour ago, Bontekoe said:

I pay mine 150 pesos flat plus lunch she usually work for 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours.

Do not pay her too much and spoil the market!

Good point. Never, ever pay any employee enough to survive on and send their children to school. It spoils the market for the tightwads who have little concern how anyone besides themselves lives.

i pay the same as i did years ago 40 pesos, but that was too much. to even it out, she hasnt gotton a raise. she gets lunch or snack & bus fare. she is given all my clothes that i no longer need. we dont have a regular day, i call when i need her. she likes that because she can build up her client base, & i get the left over time frames. xmas bonus yes, but no longer vacation pay, to even out some other things. besides cleaning the maid occasionally does errands.

My maid comes 1day/ week for 4h hours, her husband comes 3 days/week for 4 hours/day. They get salary, bus fare, vacation pay, aguinaldo, and their shopping at Soriana when I am in town.They have been with me for 20+ years. I pay them 6000 peso's/month and will raise it again because of the devaluation of the peso per US dollar, as it does not cost me any more in dollars. Good, honest and reliable help is worth every peso I pay them.

4 hours ago, Bontekoe said:

I pay mine 150 pesos flat plus lunch she usually work for 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours.

Do not pay her too much and spoil the market!

What a sad outlook on life...  probably doesn't even give her a little extra at Easter or Christmas .. Or even a "Thank You "  once in awhile..  

We pay a cleaning woman 35p per hour (about 6-7 hours) once a week, plus bus fare and one meal. My Mexican wife made the arrangement and both are happy. She sometimes also gives a few things from around the house that we do not use. I think my Mexican wife is a much better judge of what to pay than I would be. If someone doesn't like what we pay, you are free to "chip in": and make up the difference, so that you will feel better about it. :D

22 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

What a sad outlook on life...  probably doesn't even give her a little extra at Easter or Christmas .. Or even a "Thank You "  once in awhile..  

You are talking with no facts in your hand she gets bonuses, holiday pay,,gifts mostly clothing, NEW when we go NOB, plus good used clothing for her and her family, extra food to take home,etc etc.

How sad of people making wrong assumptions,her regular pay is the going rate ...period

We're talking about hourly rates for maids in Mexico not in the U.S. or Canada. 

In the U.S. I paid my maid US $20.00 per hour. At the present exchange rate that would make it about 380 pesos per hour. 

if 50 pesos per hour is the going rate, then that is what we're expected to pay. I pay my maid for 5 hours. She gets 50 x 5 = 250 pesos plus bus fare.

She, very seldom works the full 5 hours and mostly leaves after working for 4 hours. I see no reason to increase her hourly rate as she's effectively getting 

60 pesos per hour.

20 minutes ago, FlyFree said:

We're talking about hourly rates for maids in Mexico not in the U.S. or Canada. 

In the U.S. I paid my maid US $20.00 per hour. At the present exchange rate that would make it about 380 pesos per hour. 

if 50 pesos per hour is the going rate, then that is what we're expected to pay. I pay my maid for 5 hours. She gets 50 x 5 = 250 pesos plus bus fare.

She, very seldom works the full 5 hours and mostly leaves after working for 4 hours. I see no reason to increase her hourly rate as she's effectively getting 

60 pesos per hour.

I strongly agree

Pay them whatever works for you and her/him. But I am really sick of hearing the phrase "don't spoil the market". I have heard that for 15 years and I have gotten to the point of telling anyone I hear say that to mind their own ******" business.

There have been 3 different types of employees mentioned here: maids, housekeepers, and cleaning women. In my mind, these are all different types of employees and would draw differing wages and methods of payment. I clearly posted that we hire a cleaning woman, not a maid , nor a housekeeper; both of which would (in my mind) draw a higher wage than a cleaning woman. I guess my reply is not what the OP was seeking. Sorry !

Archived