Chapala.com Webboard

Poopsie Update #4

Poopsie Update #4

I went by today (Sept. 24)  to talk to Dr. Pepe Magana to see if there was a plan to have Poopsie spayed. He said his problem was being able to catch Poopsie.  I can see the problem. She’s tamer than she was—I pet her each time I feed her—but she’ll dart away at the slightest quick move. I told this to Dr. Pepe. I hoped he’d have helpers for this kind of situation, but it’s a lot to expect of him, for sure.

Some of us feeding her worried that she was pregnant. Dr. Pepe says he doesn’t think so. To me, up close, although she’s put on weight now that she’s getting fed everyday, she doesn’t look pregnant.

I’ve heard how kind Dr. Pepe is and often treats the pets of people who can’t afford to pay him. In Poopsie’s case, I wanted to assure him that I’m able to pay his bill, or contribute to it, whatever is needed, should Poopsie ever make it into his clinic for the treatment she needs. (As I mentioned in a previous posting, a Mexican neighbor who first called Pepe paid him and I contributed. I’m assuming he was paid for his second visit, but I don’t have the details. Although Poopsie is our common cause, communication with each other isn’t great.) So money isn’t the problem. Wrestling Poopsie in for the treatment she needs is.

I didn’t expect Poopsie’s story to get quite this complicated. I optimistically thought first we fatten her up, get her healthy enough for surgery, and then tell the world (or maybe just Lakeside) that she’s ready to be adopted, por favor. I thought getting her adopted would be the hard part. But I can see we’re barely beyond square one and to move forward Poopsie will need to learn that we’re on her side and accept us as friends. Meanwhile she will continue to be looked after by our small group. She has food and shelter and our best intentions. Hope she catches on soon that her future is in her own hands (paws) and we’re at the ready to help.

Lexy

To read the earliest posting about Poopsie, you must scroll to Starving Dog Needs Help, probably far down the listings by now.

If you can get close enough to pet her, you should be able to slip a leash in a loop around her neck.  Watch the videos online from Hope for Paws to see how to do this while feeding. Eldad Hagar is one of the best rescuers out there, and the people feeding the dogs can easily capture them once they get to know them a little by feeding them.

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

I agree, tranquilizing her will help. But what I meant was that I don't want to go ahead on my own, when another of the dog's "caretakers" has already called in Pepe, who's been here twice. Trying not to go out on my own here, but love the suggestion.

Archived