Chapala.com Webboard

Device to catch crooked gas stations?

Mainecoons

Interesting, but pretty pricey for any app, especially one to save you money from ripoffs. I recall going to a website someone here posted, which lists ripoff gas stations. Of course it is almost impossible to test amounts of gas using a car; a 10 litre or 20 litre jug would be the ideal thing.

I have heard of this, for sure. but I have traveled all over MX by car and never noticed ripoffs. I am very observant, and always a shoestring budget, so I am observant. Do other people have experiences with being ripped off around lakeside?

23 hours ago, virgogirl said:

I have heard of this, for sure. but I have traveled all over MX by car and never noticed ripoffs. I am very observant, and always a shoestring budget, so I am observant. Do other people have experiences with being ripped off around lakeside?

How would you know if you are being shorted on gas? There are LOTS of gas stations in Mexico who have their pumps set to register liters that are in fact not full liters. And what I heard is that they are set to pump the first 5 liters at full liters, so if you fill a small gas can, it looks fine. Profeco puts out a "lista negro" of stations that short you-google it.. By state, city, and station # (every Pemex has a #- it is on the big sign.

A cab driver told me to always order 10 , 20 or 30 liters as Profeco calibrates those measurements.. if you need 15 l order 20 and pay what the pum says as the pump will have been set for 20l and it is less likely that the attendeant will be able to cheat you.

i had an interesting experience last week in San cristobal. i stopped at a station I  know cheats but I did not have a choice. I do not know how they do it but if you tell them to fill the tank they always stop at 100 pesos and then start again when you tell them you wanted them to fill up. They always make sure to show you the zero on the pump when they start.

I have been trying to figure it out and just do not know how they do it..Last week I got out, was very clear I wanted them to fill up and again they stopped at 100 pesos.. I lost it! gave them hell . Told them to stop gave them one hundred ..They returned the 100 and told me thay had not put any gas, the pump was showing one 100 pesos and it showed zero when they started..

Anyone knows how they do it? I am ging to report them to PROFECO but I am really curious.

Archived