Chapala.com Webboard

What is digging up my grass?

cedros

Suddenly and for the first time something is digging up great clumps in my lawn. In Canada it would be the work of raccoons looking for worms and grubs. You would rent a live trap and move the culprits somewhere else. Does anyone know what might be digging up my lawn?

No, I don't know BUT it is likely the animal(s) are after grubs. Or perhaps the grubs just make it look like something is digging up the lawn. In any case, I suspect you have a grub problem. We do--worst in the 5 years I've been in this condo. Get rid of the grubs  (better life thru chemicals) and I think you'll solve your problem, as the animals will go elsewhere.

I get visits from Tlacuache once in awhile. The odd thing is my two dogs who sleep outside usually chase off or kill any mammal visitors. Tobacco is a thought.

Our gardener had us purchase a large bag of tobacco from the garden store west of the 7/11 in Riberas.  He spread it on the lawn and in a week the grubs were dead and our grass recovered quickly.  He also takes it and make a "tea" and sprays the tea on the flowers and plants.  Works like a charm.

I found the culprit-one of my dogs. They sleep outside and she does it after it is dark.

I guess tobacco is the solution. Kill the grubs so she won't dig them up to eat.

On August 21, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Yo1 said:

I buy tobacco from the garden shop in Riberas, next to the 7-11 to sprinkle on my lawn this time of year.  It takes a couple of weeks but kills the grubs and doesn't bother the dogs health.

We have done the same thing. Gets rid of the grubs and we don't have to worry about our dogs.

I asked the gal at the Garden Shop and she said tobacco would kill the grubs. She thought it was not a good idea to use it though as my dog is obviously digging up the grubs to eat.

48 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I'm wondering if it's the grubs he's after...or something that's after the grubs?

This little dog is a real hunter. She is always looking for things to eat in the yard-lizards, birds, squirrels, bugs, fruit, etc. I'm sure she is eating the grubs.

Archived