Chapala.com Webboard

Wells Fargo Debit Cards and Lakeside ATM's

losgatos

I hate to tell you this, but Wells Fargo is one of the worst banks in the USA for charging both a foreign transaction fee--usually 3% of your ATM withdrawal--plus a fee to actually withdraw money from a non-Wells Fargo ATM--usually an additional $5.00 USD.  In addition, the ATM you are using may also charge you to use the Wells Fargo debit card.  I stopped using the Wells Fargo debit card years ago for just these reasons.  YMMV but I suspect not.

I haven't found one.

I have an ALLY and a WF account.  I went by CI Banco one morning and hit both cards for 10,000 MXN.  WF gave me .5 MXN less and charged me $5.35 ATM fee.  ALLY gave me .5MXN more on the rate and refunded my 17MX CI ATM fee.

The difference between the two banks was about $20

I set up an ALLY account from down here by using a Vonage bill that bills to my Laredo billing address.

I keep 2 accounts for safety but I only withdraw from ATMs from ALLY.  ALLY transfers money for free and has free bill pay

I gave up on them as they do charge 5 bucks and 3% for debit card use here in Mexico.  I write a check on BOA or First Tech credit union and deposit after a wait into my local bancomer account.  I use a debit card from bancomer to get it out in Peso at any bancomer ATM. I leave my US bank cards for use in the US.  

Suggest you think about changing banks... WF does not have a good reputation. If you can qualify, USAA or Capital One is the way to go... No fees and excellent exchange rates...

9 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Ditto Mainecoons for us. WF has some kind of "wire transfer" service they tout as less expensive to get money here, so you might call your banker if you are in a bind and see what they will do for you. Suerte.

WF has what they call Express Send and one can transfer funds online in real time from your WF account directly to (in our case) our Bancomer account. We then withdraw pesos from our Bancomer account using that debit/ATM card.  Depending on how much $$ you have on deposit with WF, the cost can be nothing to $4 per transaction. However, it does require setting up an Express Send agreement and that must be done at a WF branch in the US.

31 July was 18.53

20 June was 18.3537

16 June was 19.20

You can see the rate you'll get before you complete the transaction, so if you're not happy with it, you can cancel it.

Archived