Chapala.com Webboard

Hip replacement options in Texas?

I have given up my fight with the VA to have surgery done here. I do now have the VA Choice card that allows you you to seek outside medical care with an approved provider. I am trying to find the best and easiest solution to avoid multiple trips be able to get back here after the procedure as quickly as possibly. Also since  I am not very mobile and finances are not good so need advise on best airfares and airports with ease in getting in and out. I see that Volaris Airlines now has regular low cost flights to Austin or how about Houston, Dallas or San Antonio?. The biggest challenge is getting back after the surgery. Very daunting,,,any suggestions would be appreciated. Gracias.

Volaris goes direct to Houston. However in Guadalajara you have to walk up the steps to the plane and then down when you get home. For disabled people they get two strong guys to carry you up and down. You can pay a little and reserve a front seat which has lots of leg room. The Houston part is easy. Just be sure you reserve a wheelchair all the way.

And you can do Dallas nonstop as well. The flight is only on Mon, Weds, and Saturday and leaves here late afternoon; it does a turnaround and returns here around 9:30 pm on the same days. Current fare is around $275 US. Yes, upgrade for additional legroom.

I understand that the San Antonio VA Hospital can arrange, or advise you on discounted nearby motel rooms for before, or for a day or two of recovery beyond your hospital stay, if you would like that, or if you need to go back into the hospital for a post-operative check-up.

On the other hand, if you have someone going with you and the vehicle is suitable, you might find a trip to McAllen, TX by land a bit easier than flying.  Your choice to have surgery in McAllen, or to go to San Antonio; perhaps by VA Clinic supplied transportation from McAllen, if you register with that clinic. They could advise you by phone.

Good luck.

Archived