Chapala.com Webboard

Dengue fever

Sandrita

yes my friends who live in Merida got it there.. The mosquitoes cannot get you where it is windy but there are plenty of time without wind.. wherever you have lagoons you have mosquitoe.. I was eaten alive in Majahual and Akumal so no escape there .

It is everywhere, yesterday someone in San Cristobal de las Casas  told me there was dengue here too and we are at 7200 feet. It is hard to believe and I wonder if those cases did not start somewere else.. but lots and lost of people are sick right now,,

As a tropical city, Merida has had Dengue outbreaks in past years,  but since last summer  they have not had any serious Dengue outbreaks in 2016.

Aedes aegypti , Dengue-transmitting  mosquitoes, are urban mosquitoes who like clean fresh rain water, and do not like salt marshes at all

The beach areas around Merida have miles of cienagas (salt marshes) just behind them that determine almost all of which kind of mosquitoes that are at the beaches from Chuburna Puerto and Telchac Puerto.   This means that there are many salt marsh mosquitoes there, but those mosquitoes do NOT carry Dengue, so  there have not been Dengue cases along the Yucatan Gulf Coast beach areas since last summer,  partly because almost all the mosquitoes at the beaches are salt-marsh mosquitoes that do not carry Dengue.

http://yucatan.com.mx/merida/bajan-dengue-zika-chikungunya

• 3 weeks later...

Archived