Large portions, consider splitting

Nicely plated, perfect service,  The sauces & condiments delightful

Avocado Club now open

Wed, Thu 9 am to 5 pm

Fri, Sat 9 am to 8 pm

Sun 9 am to 3 pm

ROSE BOWL MALL

89 CARRETERA FOMERLY HOLE IN ONE

6 of us ate there last night.  We were all a little disappointed.  Three had Mac &Cheese, it was very bad, no cheese flavor mostly a flour thickened milk,  one ordered Mac & cheese with fried chicken , the chicken was just a broiled breast not fried chicken.   Maybe they need some time to get the cooks trained.  We will give them some time and hopefully things will improve

I just posted this on the other thread:

Six of us dined Sat night (they close at 8pm). All had different entres and all were good. Fried calamari, liver and onions, short ribs, Indian spiced chicken pot pie, crispy pecan fried fish tacos. Small selection of nice reds at $250/$55. Experienced wait staff. This will be a winner.

On August 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM, windstar said:

Great lunch today

Interesting, different menu,  $$ well worth it

Large portions, consider splitting

Nicely plated, perfect service,  The sauces & condiments delightful

Avocado Club now open

Wed, Thu 9 am to 5 pm

Fri, Sat 9 am to 8 pm

Sun 9 am to 3 pm

ROSE BOWL MALL

89 CARRETERA FOMERLY HOLE IN ONE

I was there today, too, but I thought the portions were very small. We almost ordered more food, but it was close to closing time. What did you order that could have been split?

My husband had the French toast with fresh fruit. He loved it, but the portion was small and he was still hungry. I ordered the breakfast pie with bacon, corn, and cheddar cheese. Also a side of "cheezy" grits. Both were delicious, but, again, small portions. That, along with an orange juice, one mimosa, and cup of coffee came to 277 pesos. Although tasty, not sure it was worth the $$.

Four of us just finished dinner at Avocado Club...kudos, kudos , kudos!!.. the service was impeccable.. the food was above excellent...we started with the calamari appetizers shared by each couple...the calamari were delicate and fried to perfection and taken a step above with the chipotle sauce with dipping...2 of our diners had the beef liver so tender that it could have been cut with a fork and so much also..."para llevar" for part of it.. crisp and tasty grilled vegetables accompanied them and when we asked for hand cut fries instead of the homemade mashed , it was no trouble and they were the best fresh handmade fries in lakeside...two of the other diners had the chicken pot pie and the lamb burger, respectively...both were the best they had tasted ..the owner and also the server returned to check on the meals...exquisite, succulent, cooked to perfection.. none of our group of four can hardly wait to return...a truly gourmand gem!!!..congratulations Avocado Club.

We arrived 7:20 pm, musta been just after canmex87. This is definitely not a dinner place, but some of the dishes will substitute. Ordered the steak sandwich, with cucumber side salad, and falafel, with onion soup on the side.

My first impressions are that everything tastes pretty good, and Ismat is trying to be a little more upscale. Touches like lightly fried spinach with the calamari do make a difference. My second impression is that the majority of the dishes are pricey. For example, the calamari at 89p... pretty small portion of that. Looks great, though, coming from the kitchen, all giant puffiness. The squid itself was not rubbery; marks for that. Interestingly, the massive amounts of fried coating (and I love chicken-fried or batter-fried anything) detracted from the appetizer: very little taste and far too much batter. The spicy aioli was tasty, and absolutely necessary.

The arrachera in my sandwich ($149) was smothered in fried mushrooms and goat or blue cheese; can't recall, on a flat-top toasted decent sandwich bun, open-faced. One of the better pieces of steak I've had around here ever: marinated nicely, cooked to perfection, tender and perfectly medium (although I wasn't asked). The side salad was an odd mix of chopped veg with balsamic or something; a waste.

The falafel consisted of three large ones on a decent Greek wrap, with tzaziki and tahini (although couldn't find both). Tasted okay, but the mastication required suggested that the falafel wasn't evenly mixed before cooking. The side soup was full of onions and average, which is okay, except for one thing: we both began to realize that almost everything in the meal was hot-spiced. I know that at Gossip's, it's all N'awleans and typically hot, but nowhere on the menu was there any suggestion of pico. And we asked first, being assured no, no, nothing was. So keep in mind that an expat's idea of hot is quite different from a local's.

Service was excellent. We were the last to arrive and a table of two and one of 7 or 8 had already placed their orders. The zoomy service suggested they were all eager to finish up for the day. A bonus: the 25p limonadas came in giant tumblers, which is refreshing compared to a lot of local places that fill a highball glass with ice and three gulps of liquid. One thing: there was a sprig of metal from a kitchen scrubber in the soup; they all reviewed it and offered a fresh bowl, but our take was that all the soup came from the same pot anyway, and no damage was done.

I'd say I would bring out of town visitors, because the completely renovated (and super-clean, with lots of greenery) area looks great, and while the food isn't dazzling, I think visitors would enjoy it. I will go back myself when I feel like a have a little extra to spend.

12 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

I have seen that elevator and mentioned this to a friend. She said she knows there is one as her husband used it in the past. Perhaps they are only using it for freight now.

Considering the demographics in this area, maybe it needs to be re-purposed!

Those stairs are daunting to anyone with knee, hip or breathing problems.  Help from the staff wouldn't solve it unless they have a very big guy to carry the patron.

• 1 month later...

Being that I'm a gossips fan, I thought I would try the avocado club after church today. The staff recognized my wife and I write off. Since they only serve brunch on Sunday, it was limited to what we could order for lunch. So we had a breakfast burrito, garbanzo salad and a arachera sandwich. It was all good!!! I wouldn't trade for gossip's. But my wife really liked it so who cares what I think!!!! Prices are reasonable, portions are good and the service is awesome!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

We had dinner there last night and shared the smoked salmon on potato latkes which was wonderful. I had the surf and turf fajitas and hubby had the pecan crusted fish tacos along with some great margaritas and mojitos. Everything was so yummy. Nothing for para llevar for us! Creat bunch of people working there, Anna the chef, Juan the manager along with Rigo the handsome waiter. 

If you haven't tried them yet, please go by and try lunch, dinner or brunch on Sundays! All good. 

Had lunch there today with a friend and it was really tasty. I got some mess in a skillet that included a couple of eggs....can't remember the name of the dish. Indian-ish? Friend had the "Butter Chicken" which I got to taste. I think her choice won me over, but both were delicious. I am so grateful that the owner is serving something diffefent in this area, and especially, that he owns a spice rack.

Spectacularly capable Juan was there, as was Rigo, plus a young woman who I recognized  from other locations but don't know her name (yet). All capable and appropriately attentive. And Ismat was in the corner, keeping an eye on things.

It's off to a great start, firing on all cylinders!

Ditto on all the positive comments. Had dinner there this week and enjoyed every part of the experience. As others have said the food is excellent and the service is exceptional. We are regular Gossip diners and now will also be regular Avocado Club diners. Our two favorite places in town. Since we can't decide which one we like best we will have to keep going to both of them.Tough job bus somebody has to do it. Not the cheapest places in town - thank goodness - but an absolute bargain for such an all around terrific experience. 

Archived