Chapala.com Webboard

Internet disconnects

Jistme

On 8/8/2016 at 9:12 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Now you are sidestepping the issue with rhetoric. I didn't say all infrastructure had been improved, but that's beside the point. Your comment ("Telmex isn't investing in new equipment to meet the demand since they expect less traffic in the future because the new telecommunications law allows for competition and restricts their market share to less than 50% in the future.") was both speculative and just plain incorrect. The fact, and I repeat myself, is that TelMex has quite obviously done a good deal of upgrading, as many many local users can attest, after having seen their speeds double in the last few months. lscats is just one example of a user on this very board. The upgrade from ADSL to VDSL is a good example. Perhaps I should add that I have seen the laws (two years old now); they are basically antitrust, and do not preclude anyone from having more than 50% share of the market. Maybe you should Google it.

Further, tech support in Mexico City has been trained to give a variety of answers to complaints about service; one in particular is "lack of servers".  This has almost no meaning in the real world of Internet infrastructure.

Well, ComputerGuy, while you may be entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. Here's an article from bloomberg.com that verifies, in plain English, that what I had to say is true and correct. Here's a quote from the article:

America Movil, the Americas’ largest operator with 272 million wireless subscribers, decided to divest some assets to an independent company, reducing its market share in Mexican landlines and mobile phones to below 50 percent to appease regulators, America Movil said yesterday in a filing. Slim’s carrier will also separate its wireless towers from the rest of the business and will renounce its rights to acquire control of satellite-TV provider Dish Mexico. Slim and his family hold 57 percent of America Movil.

There is more information on this in the article. Yes, America Movil (Telmex) is required by law to reduce its market share to less than 50 percent or face some serious restrictions. I think you owe me an apology. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-08/america-movil-to-break-up-mexico-unit-amid-regulatory-pressure

3 hours ago, jaykay said:

Computer Guy, it's not the speed.  When I'm connected, I get 10 mips.  Hey, I could live with 5 mips if I could only stay connected.  If I'm watching a movie online or reading a pdf doc, no problem.  It's more the news programs, and Email.  The second you try to switch to another subject, you are looking at a 2 to three minute wait.  That's when I get the dreaded "can't find server" message.  I did think it was cool that I get different messages with the bad news.  Same bad news, but slightly different.

It's possible that all your Internet settings need "refreshing"... there are about a dozen of these.TCP/IP, Winsock, DNS Resolver cache... and it's also possible that your Ethernet and or WiFi drivers need updating/replacing. And depending on your anti-virus software, too, which can easily choke websites. Have you tried other browsers is something I ask, as well. Does the problem occur on your tablet or cell phone, if you have them? There's a long list of troubleshooting steps.

8 minutes ago, alex45920 said:

Well, ComputerGuy, while you may be entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. Here's an article from bloomberg.com that verifies, in plain English, that what I had to say is true and correct. Here's a quote from the article:

There is more information on this in the article. Yes, America Movil (Telmex) is required by law to reduce its market share to less than 50 percent or face some serious restrictions. I think you owe me an apology. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-08/america-movil-to-break-up-mexico-unit-amid-regulatory-pressure

Well, my apologies, amigo. I read the very long actual law and found nothing like that. Consider me schooled.

On the other hand, demanding an apology certainly doesn't bode well for your status. In the meantime, your contention that TelMex is not investing because of this regulation is completely out to lunch. You do know that you can reduce your holdings and at the same time invest in new areas, right? I mean, apart from the physical proof all around us?

Computer guy, one of the things I did was take my computer to the tech at Bennos.  I automatically assumed that I either had a bug picked up on the net or had set something wrong.  In other words, human error.  The problem with that was when we turned my computer on at Bennos, it ran perfectly.  I called a friend at Apple to see if there was anything else I could do, and he said "Move closer to Telmex's office".  He may have been joking.  He did say that  Telmex may be giving certain areas preferences.  I don't know if that's possible, but nobody has  checked in from the racquet club to report this problem. 

I have a report in April from user of this board, of 8.11 down in the Racquet Club. SJC has historically been slow, but I have no record of speeds there from this year.

TelMex doesn't favour an area, other than with installation of cabling and service boxes for a neighbourhood.

If your Internet was running just fine elsewhere, then we would have to consider the wiring, the DSL filter... something like that. Unfortunately, I'm not that kind of technician. But I do know that it's rare that speed is consistently good and that at the same time it drops off like you are experiencing, unless it's computer-related.

speedof.me is a good site to test, because they use larger and larger files to download and test. The larger the file, the more likely you are to lose the connection if there is a physical problem somewhere. I will go to sites that have huge downloads, like for Windows 10, or Libre office, and watch the download window... see if it hiccups, because with a large enough file, the time-out problem would most likely reveal itself. Short speed tests may not

I guess the good news is that if everything works when you hook up somewhere else, then it's not your PC. But it may still be the modem. The gear TelMex buys is hilariously inconsistent sometimes, even new out of the box.

Brisas and Ch. Haciendas are without a doubt the worst. I don't usually get disconnected calling Mexico City, though. I know when that happens, or when you get an "all operators are busy" right off, that they are being flooded with calls. And Friday afternoons and weekends, fuggedaboudit.

Most people are getting at least 1.2 and up to 1.8, though. Not much, really, but certainly better than .02... perhaps it's a modem or PC issue. I have tools to test for that.

Just had a fellow up on the top of Rio Nazas with the same problem. Swapped his modem; no difference. I did a system reset and a computer Internet "cleanup" with no improvement. He's calling Mexico City (rather than the local TelMex office) to arrange an on-site; something is obviously going on in the 'hood.

Yes. My informal tests show about a 10% better area coverage, while maintaining throughput. (If you have an Android tablet or cellphone, there are several apps that actually show you the signal strength, among other values. I'm sure there are similar apps for iPhones.)

And, if you have one of the new dual-band modems, I recorded another 10% rise in coverage, due to the two external antennas, no doubt. This could be of great value to some who's homes are a lot of rebar and concrete.

Received one of the new modems by courier, unsolicited, earlier this week. After installing it, we have noticed a 5% increase in speed (now getting more than 5mb every test) and significantly better coverage in areas of the house where we previously had some issues. And absolutely no issues with Netflix. And, also, everything over the network (web, printers, etc) is loading faster. All in all a real improvement over theold 2-Way.

Yes, you can do that. In particular when the "modem service desk" is just inside the front door during the rainy... sometimes they ask for your firstborn, sometimes nothing. BUT it will depend on what they have in inventory, of course, because they are still using three other styles of modem that they introduced earlier this year. And (as we all know) it will depend on the mood of the employee when you walk in. The staff that work short-term are much more helpful than the lifers. I'm guessing "banda dual" will get you the one you want.

I had continual disconnects with Telmex and they stated it was my problem.

I eventually found some of their cables sticking out of a hole in my wall, just twisted together and poorly insulated.

Soldered them together and properly sealed them far fewer problems, so they were correct.

Archived