Chapala.com Webboard

Dominos pizza in Chapala

cedros

The thread that compares Pizza taste to religion is dead on.  My wife is from NY, and New Yorkers have strong feelings about what a proper pizza is supposed to taste like.  Ditto Chicago.  While still a teen, I worked at a Pizzaria owned by a man from Naples Italy. That is considered by many to be the birthplace of pizza. He told me that in Naples there is a law about what can be sold as "pizza".  Boy, not here.  When I got here 11 years ago, I went on a pizza hunt.  I tried every pizza from Chapala to Jocotepec.  At that time, I counted 14.  I called my wife and told her that I had tried all I could find.  She asked which one was best.  I replied that Dominos was it.  We seriously considered living somewhere else.  A friend sent down a big book called "American Pie."  Very entertaining, and it teaches you how to  make a really good pizza in several regional styles.  If you have a computer savvy friend, he can download it in torrent form for free.  You will have to do some things involving fire bricks in the oven here, but it can be done.  The hardest thing about learning for me was learning not to second guess the book.  You can make a better pizza in your house than you ever will get in a local restaurant.  Once you've learned, you will be very popular, but the main thing is that you get  real pizza.  Hey, it's not the crust  or the toppings, it's both together.  My wife and I had heard about a new restaurant that was making good pizza.  The first thing we saw when we went in was a guy rolling out dough with a rolling pin.  That's such a no no you wouldn't believe it.  It crushes all the air pockets.  We turned around and left.  One last thought.  If someone actually opened a real pizza joint, would we pay what it would cost to make the real thing?

The thread that compares Pizza taste to religion is dead on.  My wife is from NY, and New Yorkers have strong feelings about what a proper pizza is supposed to taste like.  Ditto Chicago.  While still a teen, I worked at a Pizzaria owned by a man from Naples Italy. That is considered by many to be the birthplace of pizza. He told me that in Naples there is a law about what can be sold as "pizza".  Boy, not here.  When I got here 11 years ago, I went on a pizza hunt.  I tried every pizza from Chapala to Jocotepec.  At that time, I counted 14.  I called my wife and told her that I had tried all I could find.  She asked which one was best.  I replied that Dominos was it.  We seriously considered living somewhere else.  A friend sent down a big book called "American Pie."  Very entertaining, and it teaches you how to  make a really good pizza in several regional styles.  If you have a computer savvy friend, he can download it in torrent form for free.  You will have to do some things involving fire bricks in the oven here, but it can be done.  The hardest thing about learning for me was learning not to second guess the book.  You can make a better pizza in your house than you ever will get in a local restaurant.  Once you've learned, you will be very popular, but the main thing is that you get  real pizza.  Hey, it's not the crust  or the toppings, it's both together.  My wife and I had heard about a new restaurant that was making good pizza.  The first thing we saw when we went in was a guy rolling out dough with a rolling pin.  That's such a no no you wouldn't believe it.  It crushes all the air pockets.  We turned around and left.  One last thought.  If someone actually opened a real pizza joint, would we pay what it would cost to make the real thing?

6 minutes ago, jaykay said:

Perry's chef tosses it and there are the small air pockets. It's thin crust but chewy like it's supposed to be like in NY., Chi., Mont., Tor. and Ed. His chef who is Mexican/Italian puts the ingredients on top of the cheese like they are supposed to be.

On 7/26/2016 at 10:53 AM, dichosalocura said:

Yeah, you are right!  We already have a Domino's in the area that serves to Chapala, sounds like we need a Pizza Hut in Chapala! Usually I am all about the small businesses, but in my opinion the small pizzerias here in Chapala are nothing to brag about.   I've had great pizza here in Mexico from family owned pizzerias that was awesome, but not here in Chapala, unfortunately.  If a small pizzeria were to open up in Chapala serving quality ingredients with a delicious original recipe, I would definitely support them. 

What about Pizza Toscana in Riberas? Great pizzas IMO (if it's still open).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived