Chapala.com Webboard

Major Problems in Next State

lakeside7

Again, you are reading things into my comments that just are not there. My friends do not condone the violence of either side in this dispute. However, they place a higher value on human life than the value of property. They believe the government forces have overreacted by beating and killing teachers. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Perhaps I should have said that my friends sympathize with the teachers. Would that be more clear to you?

I'm still at a loss, Alex. I just do not understand how one can sympathize with those "teachers", if indeed they are as you describe them(buying positions, refusing to get better educated and not wanting to improve themselves to become competent, etc.). Sure, loss of life is important anywhere, but sympathizing with them is wrong (IMHO). Gives the impression that those sympathizers support the type of education these "teachers" provide. Sad, no?

The reports I saw and our friends in Oaxaca have heard the same is that the shooting started with some of the thugs hanging out with the "teachers" at their criminal road block.  The cops shot back and they were better at it.

You can't change the fact this tactic of making war on the peoples' property and livelihood as a means of fighting with the government is criminal and unexcusable.

3 hours ago, Hud said:

I'm still at a loss, Alex. I just do not understand how one can sympathize with those "teachers", if indeed they are as you describe them(buying positions, refusing to get better educated and not wanting to improve themselves to become competent, etc.). Sure, loss of life is important anywhere, but sympathizing with them is wrong (IMHO). Gives the impression that those sympathizers support the type of education these "teachers" provide. Sad, no?

My friends would definitely like to see more and better education for the children of Mexico. However, their judgment may be clouded by an intense dislike of all things having to do with the PRI and EPN. Once again, they see the government opening fire on the citizenry. They will oppose that every time it happens. Personally, I'm a long-time pacifist and do not believe in violence. With that said, I still find it hard to sympathize with the teachers. 

42 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

The reports I saw and our friends in Oaxaca have heard the same is that the shooting started with some of the thugs hanging out with the "teachers" at their criminal road block.  The cops shot back and they were better at it.

You can't change the fact this tactic of making war on the peoples' property and livelihood as a means of fighting with the government is criminal and unexcusable.

I really haven't been following this story, except for what my friends have posted on Facebook. What's the latest body count? Seems I remember it was 12-0 in favor of the government. Sounds a little lopsided. I did see video of the protesters throwing rocks and bottles and returning teargas canisters. Rumors of the protesters firing first seems rather convenient for those making a case to justify the government's actions. Have you got a link to these reports of the protesters firing first? I'm trying to keep an open mind and would certainly take a look. Meanwhile, the chatter on my Facebook page has subsided. Perhaps the teachers are losing the pr war.

15 minutes ago, alex45920 said:

I really haven't been following this story, except for what my friends have posted on Facebook. What's the latest body count? Seems I remember it was 12-0 in favor of the government. Sounds a little lopsided. I did see video of the protesters throwing rocks and bottles and returning teargas canisters. Rumors of the protesters firing first seems rather convenient for those making a case to justify the government's actions. Have you got a link to these reports of the protesters firing first? I'm trying to keep an open mind and would certainly take a look. Meanwhile, the chatter on my Facebook page has subsided. Perhaps the teachers are losing the pr war.

Mexico forces (police, military, etc,) are the best "shots" in the world. It has become rare for them to take prisoners, thus preventing the needless parade in front of judges and imminent  release of those prisoners, not even mentioning how that helps with overcrowded jails/prisons. MANY things are pretty much back to normal like those first 71 years, no? I think the "teachers" are losing the "PRI" war. just like everyone else that gets in their way. :(

Archived