Chapala.com Webboard

Shotgun used on cat July 18

Last evening  a Mexican neighbor's cat came home badly injured. The family thought it had been attacked by a dog. This morning he came to request the loan of a carrier so he could take it to the vet. I insisted he go to Ladron's, then called Hector to forewarn him the cat was coming and to ask for a little leniency since this family have scant resources.

Later today Hector called me back. The cat had been SHOT.... with a SHOTGUN!! --- 140 pellets in its body on x-ray! It´s spending the night at the clinic, and Hector says the chance of survival is slim because tissues around each pellet could necrose, but he's done his best and 24 hours should predict the outcome. Family are prepared for the worst while hoping for a miracle.

This cat lives near the corner of San Jose and Ramon Corona, and it only access to "outside" is from their rear patio and then up and over the rooftops. I doubt it has ever set foot on the sidewalk in its life. All the houses in that quadrant of the block are packed back to back, side-to-side, and ALL the cats (and other critters) travel the rooftops to and fro. Since Mexicans rarely own shotguns, does this mean we have a new warped mind in our midst?

Take heed, those who let their cats out, and please warn any Mexicans you know who live close to this neighborhood to take extra precautions.

My online map says 2 blocks south of SuperLake in San Antonio. Hope they find who did this. San Antonio Tlayacapan is about the safest place you can live here, or so I thought. Hope they catch the guy--IMO probably some drunk taking potshots. The guy needs to be caught--who knows what or whom he (I'm making an assumption here, as us ladies generally prefer handguns or wounding words) will shoot next???

Barb you are well aware that this cat would be treated by the Ladrons under Lakeside Friends Of the Animals program for Mexicans of limited means The Ladrons  generously assist us by providing their excellent care for both emergency care as well as Spay and Neutering at a reduced cost for Mexicans of limited means which we pay for.

21 minutes ago, sue said:

Barb you are well aware that this cat would be treated by the Ladrons under Lakeside Friends Of the Animals program for Mexicans of limited means The Ladrons  generously assist us by providing their excellent care for both emergency care as well as Spay and Neutering at a reduced cost for Mexicans of limited means which we pay for.

What is your point here please?  Most Mexicans don't know that they can go to the Ladron clinic to get help at either a reduced rate, or for free in some cases.  Barb steered the man in the right direction and said that Hector at the clinic was looking after the cat to the best of his ability. She credited him and his clinic by name for helping, yet now you sound like you are rebuking her for some reason.   What's up with that?

hopefully the cat will not get an infecion and will survive.The same thing happened to one of my cousin the the south of France , he is full os led, he was shot by a shogun because the man who fired thought he was a squirrel?? DO not ask me what my cousin was doing in that tree either..it is all about setting traps, illegally obviously..But my cousin is alive and well andfull of lead..

55 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

What is your point here please?  Most Mexicans don't know that they can go to the Ladron clinic to get help at either a reduced rate, or for free in some cases.  Barb steered the man in the right direction and said that Hector at the clinic was looking after the cat to the best of his ability. She credited him and his clinic by name for helping, yet now you sound like you are rebuking her for some reason.   What's up with that?

My point was that Barb made it sound like the cat was helped because she called in and asked for a favor when she knows that LFA has an arrangement with the Ladron's to help

to pay for the emergency care of the pets of Mexican nationals  of limited means.  I know more and more Mexicans are aware of the program because I see the monthly bill so I know the numbers asking for help is increasing. The only way to make sure the word gets out to even more Mexicans is to tell them truthfully where the help is coming from not to allow it to be thought it requires a special favor.

I was well aware of LFA help. I called Hector because I knew the Mexican man might hesitate to ask for "charity", I was unable to go with him, and I made it clear to him that he would be cared for under the circumstances so he would not be embarrassed when he arrived. So thank you, Gimpy Chimp, for your support. As usual Sue, you seem to find fault with everything I say or do any more.

As it happens the cat died in the night. I saw the x-rays today -- all 140 pellets in a long, condensed  pattern starching at the rear and spreading towards the middle 1/3 of the spine and all areas in between. Coward obviously shot the cat   from the back as it ran away from him.

Pretty well assured we know the culprit, but because it is another Mexican neighbor close by, owner is afraid of reprisals if he says anything. Apparently loads his own shot, using lead, and shoots squirrels in the hills.......but also has a family member (yet another neighbor) with a hatred of cats, so maybe was doing that person a "favor" and getting some target practice at the same time?

Have taken some steps to talk to a more powerful Mexican on this block who will spread the word about "....people need to be careful of their pets because someone is shooting at them...." and this will filter back to the guy. Hopefully he'll  realize he's being watched and will stop.

Archived