Chapala.com Webboard

Hacienda del Lago

artsnob

21 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Closed. Will not reopen. Questionable eviction last week. Law suits by both parties. Tenant and owner of former restaurant explains on Face Book, as well as others with first hand knowledge of situation.

Al, do you happen to know what name to look up on Facebook?  I tried looking up 'Hacienda de Lago' with no luck

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

They have been squatting for over a year, refusing to vacate or pay rent.

Why do people want to screw up their good reputation by doing a dumb thing like that?  It obviously was a classy place, their food was great, and the setting was phenomenal!  Why not just pay your rent, and keep your business going successfully?  

I'm so disappointed.  We've lost some special restaurants lately.....St. Remy du Lac, now Hacienda de Lago, Quattro (4) is going downhill fast.......what next?

Go to Gringos Ajijic and read what the former tenant has to say about this "squatting" -- it is very informative.

Don't give up on good restaurantes here -- I went to GO last Saturday early evening and it was a gourmet experience, with excellent service and resonable enough prices and Pedro working the room like a real pro -- it is a first class experience IMHO.

50 minutes ago, kindred said:

Go to Gringos Ajijic and read what the former tenant has to say about this "squatting" -- it is very informative.

Don't give up on good restaurantes here -- I went to GO last Saturday early evening and it was a gourmet experience, with excellent service and resonable enough prices and Pedro working the room like a real pro -- it is a first class experience IMHO.

A friend just informed me that Gringos Ajijic is a Facebook thing.  I don't belong to the "spy in the sky", so I'll just have to guess at how this all came about.

It is also good to remember that there are two sides to every story, and unless you haven proven facts rather than allegations to go by, it's good to avoid relying on rumor.

Well, I can't help myself.  This is a cut and paste from FB:

Tony Bishop This is the one and only post that I will be writing or responding to, because quite frankly it's a personal matter. The owners, Bob and Elaine Johnson, have been suing me saying that I am not paying rent and have damaged the property, all the while cashing rent checks. As anyone who has been there knows I am always improving and maintaining the property. I in fact have even had to redo the electrical, plumbing and roof with no reimbursement from the owners. The Realtor and his associates have been spreading the lie for almost two years that we are squatters. I even sent copies of cancelled rent checks to one of these realtors spreading this known lie, and of course never had answer back. My signature was also forged on legal documents while I was out of the country. I was called to Guadalajra with my passport to prove I was out of the country when these documetns were forged and in waiting for the officical district court sentence to be served, was ilegally evicted by the Chapala court. Of course there are LOTS more details in this on going legal matter, but this is all that I really feel the need to share with the general public. We have been planning to leave Ajijic for quite some time. We actually closed the restaurant a few weeks ago as the summer is always slower anyway. We will not be reopening. Any future reservation have been notified and the one deposit we had collected has been refunded. All staff has also been paid their severence.

I feel for Bradshoe/Tony Bishop. The worst possible scenario you can have living in Mexico is to be forced to resort to the Mexican legal system in the hopes of a fair (in the legal sense of the word) and just settlement to an argument. It rarely happens. You just have to lick your wounds and move on and I guess that's what this restaurateur decided to do.

Lexy

22 hours ago, Fred C. Dobbs said:

Actually, there are three sides to every story: "mine", "yours" and the truth.

Everyone over on Gringos Ajijic was feeling sorry for Mr. Bishop but yes, there are three sides to every story.  When the lease expired 2 or 3 years ago, the owners had a buyer for the property but Mr. Bishop would allegedly not leave and had been occupying the premises since then without a lease even though the owners had requested him to leave.  He failed to mention this very important point.  The prospective buyer even offered Mr. Bishop  money to leave the premises for which he no longer had a lease.  So you can see why the owners did not compensate him for any repairs.  He allegedly told the owners that if they paid him $50,000, he will vacate the premises, supposedly to cover the cost of the repairs and maintenance.  He subsequently allegedly  upped the request to $100,000.  Remember, the owners had asked him to vacate the premises upon termination of the lease.  The owners have found upon examining the property, that some of their personal furnishings and wall hangings had been removed.

So that is the other side of the story.

Archived