Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala INM not releasing Permanent Residence Card

Having received notice that my Permanent Residence application had been approved and that the card was ready for pick up, I arrived as instructed, mid-morning, Friday, June 17th, signed the register and waited for my turn.

Then I handed my passport to the (youngish) woman behind the counter and said I was there to pick up my Permanent Residence card.  She looked over my passport, checked something/some things(?) on her computer, and after a few minutes told me, in a direct, personal manner, "I'm not going to give you your card today" and handed me back my passport.

Surprised by her words, I said, "I was told the card was ready more than a week ago."

Her reply was "I'm not going to give you your card today, unless you're traveling out of the country."

When I asked "why" she gave me no reply, and her body language made it clear that she was done with me.

My next stop was to Spencer's office, where they said they knew this was happening but didn't know why, and, I'd receive an email from them next week, if they learned that the cards would not be given out the following Friday.

The next Thursday I received that email, "no cards will be given out tomorrow Friday (June 24th)" so being only half witted as compared to no wits at all, I used my Friday morning for things that would yield a more desired outcome.

Has anyone else been refused when trying to pick up your Residence cards recently?  If so, are you from the USA, Canada, elsewhere? 

Thanks for posting this! I was about to start on my own, visa process but will wait now and see what is happening, I would be very frustrated to go thru all that

process and pay the fees and not get the visa after all.

Sonia, please come in on this, sounds like Spencers office has not been informed. Which seems strange to me.

Sounds like they possibly wanted you there first thing in the morning, Try going at 9 AM this Friday and see what happens with more than just your US passport. The form with the NUT number [your temporary immigration document] is what I always handed them to look up my file on their computer.

14 hours ago, bournemouth said:

Does that have any bearing on the OP's problem that INM would not give him is Permanente card?

It sure could. They are getting better at inter-agency communication with their new computer systems and that new agency that is actively seeking out vessel and vehicle importation violations....with some fiascos, for sure. 

So, if it is determined that there is a foreign vehicle still in the applicants possession, they just might deny the Residente Permanente, since it prohibits such a vehicle.  Note that they have made getting a Retorno Seguro much more difficult, as a means to solve the problem after the fact.  To me, that might indicate a tightening up of the regulations, simply because they now have the ability.

That makes perfect sense. But if their objective is to actually have the vehicle removed it might be wise to so inform the applicant.

But on second thought, that's not how things are done in Mexico.  Silly me.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Note that they have made getting a Retorno Seguro much more difficult, as a means to solve the problem after the fact.

That may be why we never recd our Retorno Seguro at end of May. We bit the bullet "ouch" & just drove our J car home. No problems in MX or US thank goodness.

maybe they are just short of the cards and awaiting resupply? Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one? They gave you a letter that covers you until the card is available?

I spoke with the head of the Chapala office today and she said the machine that makes the cards has problems and they are trying to get a new one and that by next week all should be back to normal. 

For some reason my temporal is being held up as well,, from what I have been told   "the immigration office and American cunsulate are getting together for a public meeting at LCS"    my response was I'm CDN not Gringo does not seem to matter.....

any thoughts would be appreciated..

Cards are in and my people picked them up today, they are in for people who have done fingerprints up to June 15, 2016.

Archived