Chapala.com Webboard

Driving in Lakeside

mlhwarior

Yes, but transito isn't allowed to ask for immigration papers so don't offer them.  Of course, what's legal and what they do are two different things many times.  Federal and I believe State police can ask to see your visa.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elvigia.net%2Fgeneral%2F2016%2F6%2F23%2Frealizan-decomiso-vehiculos-ilegales-240134.html&edit-text=&act=url

Google translation:

"Santo Tomás , BCS checkpoint to detect and seize vehicles "chocolates"

Decentralized Administration Staff Audit of Foreign Trade North Pacific (Adacepn) initiated the seizure of vehicles of foreign origin in an operational review installed up to the village of Santo Tomas in the south of the municipality.

That began operating this week and have already made several vehicle seizures over four days.

Adacepn is part of the Tax Administration Service (SAT) and has the authority to conduct such reviews to verify the legal import, possession or stay in the national territory of cars."

I think if you stay at Lakeside with your car the chances of having it impounded are very, very low. If you do not carry your visa and are illegally asked for it by a transito they will be looking for mordita not the hassle and paperwork of confiscating a car.

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Oh well - 5 down, only another 2,495,000 vehicles to go. The number of foreign plated vehicles driven, and not fully imported by permanent residents -probably less than 1,000 in all of Mexico

Probably almost 1,000 in Puerto Vallarta and area. Probably almost 3,000 in Baja Calfornia and Baja California Sur [property owners in both areas, PV and Baja, have been getting RP visas/cards the last few years.

6 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

That info serves us very little here at lakeside. Not the same environment.

People drive around all over Mexico carefree with illegal foreign plated vehicles from many enviroments; Mainly Mexican citizens.

Point is things are heating up driving a foreign plated vehicle not legally in Mexico lately.

It is not the same as before the SAT crackdown 1 1/2 years ago.

Note only SAT and Federal Police can impound any vehicle they want not state police or local police or transitos according to this article.

Google Translation:

"Published June 7, 2016 - 6:42 pm by Salvador Corvera

Having a vehicle chocolate could turn into a nightmare if confiscated proceeds could be made liable to a minimum fine of 60,000 pesos.

More than 500,000 cars circulating in Baja California are chocolates with American plates, which could be checked by the federal police or the Tax Administration Service [SAT].

When the SAT confiscates a vehicle, offenders will pay fines ranging from 60,000 pesos to 400,000 pesos, not paid the authorities could  make a siezure of the vehicle.

Lawyers said that although the authorities are empowered to exercise an administrative act to remove the vehicles must also meet certain procedure for fines are imposed legally, otherwise they can be overturned by a court.

In social networks circulate where comments indicate that in the coming days will return operating the SAT, with the intention of the federal government to act against drivers and not allow the internment of more illegal vehicles to the country."

http://stmedia.net/noticias/regional/autos-con-placas-extranjeras-pueden-ser-acreedores-a-multas-de-60-mil-a-400-mil#.V3OQC2wUW01

Police can hold / detain your TIP car, waiting until Aduana or  Adacepn officers come to formally seize the vehicle.

As foreigners, we will always be   outsiders,   more prominently noticed by police,  with fewer rights than Mexicans.

People are welcome to bury their heads in the sand.   Those with no dog in the fight will continue to claim that it will all be OK,  and deny that things are changing.

Consider the gringos on Visitors Visas who recently tried to unsuccessfully slip out of Mexico (flying out) while they illegally left their TIP car here.

Regardless of deniers claims:  As the INM database information & Aduana database information becomes used more & more at local levels,   we will continue to see Mexican officers increase enforcement of Mexican law,  

Change does come,  though slowly sometimes.

People who understand the particulars of their situation and use their knowledge of many years living in a certain area are far from burying their heads in the sand. They are calculating their odds, assessing their risk, and making a decision for themselves. What they choose to do is not right for everyone but it is their lives, their cars, and ultimately the decisions are theirs to make. 

Most folks on tourist permits seem blissfully unaware that the FMM does indicate their method of entry into Mexico.  If it indicates that they entered by car, and they try to fly out without the car, it becomes obvious that the car is still in Mexico; illegally.  I suspect that such information is now flagged by computer.  In previous years, it seemed to be ignored.

15 hours ago, Xena said:

People who understand the particulars of their situation and use their knowledge of many years living in a certain area are far from burying their heads in the sand.

You missed the point. Things that were very common many years ago up until the many reform laws and their slow implementation,  for example : INM Immigration law, SAT collection of IVA and income taxes, Telecommunication, Government Transparency,  Government anti-corruption, Education reform, SAT/ADUANA vehicle importation, Justice reform, etc. law changes and enforcement IS not the same as before.  Those who read and watch Mexican news sources actually know what are some of the major changes going on here. One is don´t get pulled over in a TIP US or Canadian plated car while in the country legally with a Residente Permanente visa/card. Not showing your RP card is also not good advise if involved in an accident or at a Federal Police checkpoint, which there are many now, not like years ago when there were almost none except when looking for narcos.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

People who understand the particulars of their situation and use their knowledge of many years living in a certain area are far from burying their heads in the sand. They are calculating their odds, assessing their risk, and making a decision for themselves. What they choose to do is not right for everyone but it is their lives, their cars, and ultimately the decisions are theirs to make. 

True,  but other gringos here  tout  that because there have only been a few seizures,  there must  magically  be no future risks for residente permanentes driving illegal TIP cars.

Is there irony in  people advising that     'It's OK to keep illegally driving that TIP car'  , are the folks with no TIP car ?

Why not follow the law?

Re 'calculating their odds'  and  'assessing their risks':     Is it only a crime, only if you get caught?  
Dick logic  (Cheney   & Nixon ethics) :  Just don't get caught (?)

Do Canadians living here,  also advise immigrants living in Canada to break Canadian laws?

Do Americans living here,  also advise immigrants living in the USA to break United States laws?

Up on the high horse again, are we? A Permanent Resident Driving a TIP imported vehicle is certainly not the priority of the Transitos in Jalisco - as  a matter of fact, the head of Transito for Jalisco told a large group of foreigners at LCS last year, that he had instructed all Transitos not to look at immigration papers and if they threatened or orchestrated a seizure, this was a very serious matter. There are billions of dollars of contraband goods, and drugs passing through the Mexican borders as we speak. Also illegal immigrants bounced from the U.S.A.

You mentioned the roadblocks looking for narcos, guns, drugs, America's Most wanted - or whatever -this is how it should be. Not enforcing a small, outstanding fee owed to customs. I don't believe that any of these articles are credible, once you look into them, they are just examples of wannabe journalism, trying to stir things up. Many of these "chocolates" are worth less than 2,000 U.S. These are the "hoopty" vehicles that drive people to their jobs or farms. Disposable cars for the common, working people.

If I was breaking the law, and brought before a Judge (who, again, has much more important duties to attend to), my defence would be one of necessity, breach of contract, or environmental activism - on any of these platforms my lawyer, would win. The bureaucrats in Mexico City must surely have noticed international political trends in Britain and the U.S.A., that point to many people who have reached their limits with the "nanny" state and a "Dr. No" style bureaucracy (as in nobody ever gets fired for saying no, but can be if mistakenly saying yes.. A fundamental rule of police work is that everybody is guilty of something, and in digging for that, they establish their authority and respect. I believe that is what is going on here with Aduana. I believe they will forever be stuck in 1964 , Mayberry. I know of a good candidate to replace Barney Fife if they need one.

Depends.  If SAT gets you then your old clunker will get you fined 150,000 pesos and you lose the car (happened to client in another state).

If the federal police stop you or transito you will probably just lose the car. 

Risk is low in Chapala area judging from past experience but it is a target rich environment.  Local transitos often give up when gringos say take my car as they know they will never get their clunkers out nor would it make financial sense. 

What about all the gardeners and maids driving US or Canadian plated cars that were given to them 2 years ago as the cars would not make it to the border and not worth it if they could.

Just to clarify, I advised no one to break the law. I merely explained how some people think and reason about their own personal decisions. Some people are so busy admiring the view from atop their high horse they don't hear what the people down there living their own lives as best as they can are saying.

By asking "why break the law" a poster exhibits an inability or unwillingness to comprehend what has been said repeatedly on this topic as well as a failure to recognize reality. 

No problem, as the car was not in your name and was not indicated as such; just that you arrived in a vehicle, by land.  I guess I could have been clearer in my post, but thought that it might be obvious to most.  I guess it wasn‘t.

So: If you arrive in a car and it is imported in your name........

• 2 weeks later...

Another problem that most RP's are not aware of or are ignoring is that a foreign plated vehicle driven by a person with a RP is NOT insured. Don't fool yourselves people. Be very careful driving around here if you are a part of that group.

Residente Permanente (RP) spouses and RP family members of TIP holders are fully allowed to drive TIP vehicles  - with no negative effects on insurance protection.

Some Mexican insurance companies of RPs owning TIP cars  do insure & cover accidents/damage/liabilities of those illegally-in-Mexico TIP vehicles.  It depends on the insurance company & their fine print.

Some other Mexican insurance companies do deny coverage for accidents/damage/liabilites of those illegally-in-Mexico TIP vehicles.  

The insurance sales people often do not know their own fine print,   and it is the insurance company's adjusters / peritos (experts) who know the nitty-gritty of whether having an illegal*status car invalidates the coverage.

2 hours ago, snowyco said:

Residente Permanente (RP) spouses and RP family members of TIP holders are fully allowed to drive TIP vehicles  - with no negative effects on insurance protection.

Some Mexican insurance companies of RPs owning TIP cars  do insure & cover accidents/damage/liabilities of those illegally-in-Mexico TIP vehicles.  It depends on the insurance company & their fine print.

Some other Mexican insurance companies do deny coverage for accidents/damage/liabilites of those illegally-in-Mexico TIP vehicles.  

The insurance sales people often do not know their own fine print,   and it is the insurance company's adjusters / peritos (experts) who know the nitty-gritty of whether having an illegal*status car invalidates the coverage.

Not sure I'd be willing to take the chance. I think we all know what the consequences might be.

Archived