Chapala.com Webboard

Driving into the US

I just bought a new car in GDL and now we want to drive to the US in July.  I am a US citizen and live in Mexico full time.  What all do we need to be able to spend around a month in the US touring around?  I have full coverage insurance that covers the car in the US also.  Is there any problems at the boarder?  I have driven down with a old car into Mexico but never driven out of Mexico with a Mexican car.  Thank you for any information that you might have.

Chuck

As far as I can tell from crossing by car hundreds of times, California plated car, into the US from Mexico is that the ICE agents [Immigration  Customs Enforcement] have zero interest in vehicle registration , valid or invalid.  vehicle insurance, current or non current or anything about vehicles except they sometimes ask: "Is his your vehicle?" If yes they ask: "How long have you owned it.?" This I presume is to confirm you own it and if contraband is found you are the only one responsible for it. I feel their policy is to let police in the US deal with you if they see an expired plate or anything else out of order, not them. They seem to be only interested in your legal right to enter the US and check for customs violations [contraband].  

We had a Jalisco car and drove it into the USA and through several states without incident. There is absolutely no border concern and no paperwork at all. You may stay and tour the USA for up to a year, so long as you do not take up residence, with your Mexican car. Insurance is required; but you seem to have that covered. You might encounter an officer with curiosity or a DEA agent with suspicions, but your passport and your Mexican residence card and registration will satisfy them. We ran into one who was simply frustrated that he could not “run our plates“.  Amazing!

The latest trip via Columbia Bridge crossing, the US officer asked if I had a Mexican driver's license (I do). He said that if I didn't have one, I couldn't bring the Mexican plated car into the US. Never heard that on two previous trips, the first of which I didn't have the Mex license! 

crossed north bound at the colombia bridge on the 2 of may, the CBP officer asked if i had had any work done on my car in mexico. i have never been asked that before???? i told i had and what it was and he said go ahead?? also the texas alcohol control guy doesnt seem to be on duty on sundays so didnt have to pay state tax on liquor.

I have driven 4 Mexican plated vehicles across at bridge 2 in Laredo. None of the vehicles were mine. One time asked if it was mine (Mercedes sports car) I said "no it belongs to the company I work for". Never asked for proof.

Never stopped in USA with Mexican plates.

There is no requirement that to drive a Mexican plated vehicle in Texas that requires a Mexican issued drivers license, and that would not be the responsibility of a border agent. That would be a matter of each individual state. I am not aware of any state who's laws regulate a vacation in a vehicle from another state or country requires a drivers license frmn the place of registration of the vehicle. 

I am currently in the U.S. with our car which has a Qualitas policy.  I asked our agent  (Bellon) if my car was covered for collision while in the u.s.  I was advised no.  I had several friends tell me this was wrong.  I was in the insurance industry for many years and know/understand a u.s. Auto policy, the Mexican policy has many similarities. I reviewed the policy using my limited Spanish abilities.  I noted what I believed to  be coverage collision in the u.s.  I went back to the agent and he said yes but repairs had to be made in Mexico so he tells his clients there is no coverage for collision.   As I hope never to have to use my insurance I hope not to give a real life experience.

Please DO NOT take this as gospel.  I am sure each company can have different options so check with your agent and have him/her show you where collision is excluded or not excluded while in the u.s.  

Yes we have the same Qualitas, Andre told us yes we were covered in the states but we would have to pay for the car to be towed to Mexico for repairs.

So, tow it to the border, push it across the border in no-man's land, and then arrange for a Mexican tow once inside. That pretty much qualifies for "no coverage in the US" except for minor fender-bender in my books.

Archived