Chapala.com Webboard

Squatter Camp, La Cristina?

Come a little east to LaCanacinta and see the squatter fishing village. They use to stay a few weeks but this time it is several months. It isn't noisy but more a matter of hygiene. The area is full of clutter and I don't what to know what they use for a bano. Environmentally they are placing very wide area nets and capturing little fish that have not had a chance to mature. So soon we will see the lake depleted again.

And this is your business HOW?????  Remember you are not in your "own" country, wherever that might be......

and no Mexican  asked you to come here and tell them how to change what they've be doing for generations, whether you like

it that way or not.

46 minutes ago, Natasha said:

And this is your business HOW?????  Remember you are not in your "own" country, wherever that might be......

and no Mexican  asked you to come here and tell them how to change what they've be doing for generations, whether you like

it that way or not.

Agree, well said. Stand by for criticism!

Um can we complain about it if we are from the U.S. and it happens in the U.S.?  Yes please tell us what is and is not off limits?  YET...I see many Mexicans that come to the U.S. yet are waving Mexican flags asking for change...Hmm...I wonder if you are just as righteous as to tell them the same thing.  Methinks not.

48 minutes ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

Um can we complain about it if we are from the U.S. and it happens in the U.S.?  Yes please tell us what is and is not off limits?  YET...I see many Mexicans that come to the U.S. yet are waving Mexican flags asking for change...Hmm...I wonder if you are just as righteous as to tell them the same thing.  Methinks not.

I haven't heard about too many Mexicans going to the U.S. and asking for change, Hobgoblin238.  And your 'potential' President (god forbid!) wants to build a wall between the countries.......good luck with that idea!

Guest bennie2

mexicans can demostrate (in US) cross country waving mex flags 24/7. @ times can be violent, smashing police cars attacking people. they are protected & have la raza/fed gov/refugee orgs supporting them. they want their land back, & dont like a political candidate. we are no allowed to do anything here, not even 1/10th. equality? i say not. knowing that, its best to mind your biz. talk about it fine. action? no way. seriously, i wouldnt worry about some small fish in the lake. as for cleanliness? have your mex neighbors complain. (not you). bennie has spoken. (edited added info)

5 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

Come a little east to LaCanacinta and see the squatter fishing village. They use to stay a few weeks but this time it is several months. It isn't noisy but more a matter of hygiene. The area is full of clutter and I don't what to know what they use for a bano. Environmentally they are placing very wide area nets and capturing little fish that have not had a chance to mature. So soon we will see the lake depleted again.

Newjersey--the little fish they are catching are probably charale.  Full grown they are only finger length.  Haven't you seen them for sale all fried up on the Chapala malecon?

OK everyone.  I have lived in La Cristina for almost 11 years.  During my time here the family living at the edge of the lake have been here.  In the early years there were horses, cattle and goats that all lived and grazed down there.  Suddenly one day the rich Tapatios living on an occasional weekend enclave decided that they wanted the lake front for themselves. We then were subjected to dump trucks of dirt and rocks being delivered to the lake front 18 hours a day, a truck every 10 minutes.  When we called the police about this disruption to our lives the police chief came out and shut them down and told us what to do to shut the entire operation down. We got together as a neighborhood and filed a denuncio, found out who held the local legal claim (there is a Mexican phrase to describe this but  I forget right now) to the land.  Over many weeks we had to keep calling the police to enforce the claim as the Mexican lakefront neighbors with all their power kept pulling down the police tapes and dumping crap to fill it all in to expand their lakefront land.  Lives were threatened, people hid and finally we were forced to call in the press to help shed some light on it for us. Ultimately our local neighborhood gardener was found to hold claim to the lease, the squatters were there with his blessing, the wall that the Mexican neighbors had begun to build was pulled down and there was much rejoicing by all--especially the locals that took their horses there every day and the fishermen who kept their boats on the land.  Today we still have a free and open, although badly overgown lakefront that all can use.

The system worked for us and we are a proud mixed neighborhood that look out for one another at all times.  It is a great place to call home.

Oh good grief EricandLeslie, are you trying to Troll? This is the second time you started this thread (search it). the first one already answered your question. Posting the same question a  second time in such a short time smacks of wanting to stir up the  crazies. So maybe you guys are bored and finding out that maybe your recent move here is less exciting than you thought it would be? Maybe you could practice being a good neighbor by NOT stirring up trouble for the local hardworking folks. They sure don't deserve to be victims of your boredom. Find another hobby, please.

On 5/14/2016 at 10:05 PM, bennie2 said:

mexicans can demostrate (in US) cross country waving mex flags 24/7. @ times can be violent, smashing police cars attacking people. they are protected & have la raza/fed gov/refugee orgs supporting them. they want their land back, & dont like a political candidate. we are no allowed to do anything here, not even 1/10th. equality? i say not. knowing that, its best to mind your biz. talk about it fine. action? no way. seriously, i wouldnt worry about some small fish in the lake. as for cleanliness? have your mex neighbors complain. (not you). bennie has spoken. (edited added info)

Must be hell being you.    The law is in place in Mexico to keep outsiders from being involved in Mexican government as happened in the past.  Example Maximillan appointed by European powers to run Mexico.  Don't think this situation applies to US other than Poncho Villa invading Arizona.  If you really look we have many more rights here as Mexican residents than USA residents.  Denying us certain Political rights is a small part of our rights in Mexico.  Try reading History of Mexico and the law makes sense.

There are squaters here and there on the shore. Mostly fishermen.. We have walked the area for 15 years and never had a problem with them.They do leave a lot of trash around and could be asked to clean up but otherwise they are nice people just making a living..SOme of them are from Ocotaln and other places..I rather have them that all these walls and fences the rich are building as they are stealing the land from everyone. The take over of the land by the Tapatios has been going on for a long time and it is really offensive as people use the lake to walk to work and now many places are not accessible any longer. The land is being taken over by people who do not use it but prvent others from using it.

There used to be heards of cows and horses grazing there and now you cannot walk it..that is offensive to me not the guys who are fishing.

11 hours ago, Semalu said:

Oh good grief EricandLeslie, are you trying to Troll? This is the second time you started this thread (search it). the first one already answered your question. Posting the same question a  second time in such a short time smacks of wanting to stir up the  crazies. So maybe you guys are bored and finding out that maybe your recent move here is less exciting than you thought it would be? Maybe you could practice being a good neighbor by NOT stirring up trouble for the local hardworking folks. They sure don't deserve to be victims of your boredom. Find another hobby, please.

I don't remember asking this question before (early onset?) and I assure you that I'm not trolling. You presume to know quite a lot about about my life, who I am, and what motivates me. I promise you, you know nothing. Your hostility and arrogance indicates an unhealthy pathology and I'm concerned for you. Their are some really good therapists in the area that could help you feel better, if you PM me I can give you a good recommendation.

Peace, Eric

On 5/14/2016 at 7:12 PM, Natasha said:

it that way or not.

Did I miss a post where someone wants to change something? The OP was asking for a history, never mentioned anything about change, just asked a question. Do people look for something to criticize? 

3 hours ago, lcscats said:

If you really look we have many more rights here as Mexican residents than USA residents.  

In my 17 years here, I have not found these. I would greatly appreciate you listing these rights that I have here that USA residents do not have. TIA !

55 minutes ago, Hud said:

In my 17 years here, I have not found these. I would greatly appreciate you listing these rights that I have here that USA residents do not have. TIA !

You can get away with much more here than in the States because law enforcement is lax.  But that does not equate to more rights.

Archived