Chapala.com Webboard

Cuaresma and restaurants

cedros

I went to that fairly new  restaurant on calle Jose Santana in Jocotepec on Friday. They weren't serving meat as it was Cuaresma (Lent). I've never seen this before. Is this fairly common? Is it just on Fridays in Lent or everyday?

My wife observes it so we usually have chiles rellenos or seafood on Fridays during Lent,I believe chicken is also allowed due to the elevated prices of fish and seafood during Lent.

So it is just Fridays during lent? I have never seen this no meat Cuaresma in Chapala, Ajijic, or Jocotepec before. My Mexican friend knew what was up right away when he saw the sign outside posted Cuaresma.

2 hours ago, cbviajero said:

My wife observes it so we usually have chiles rellenos or seafood on Fridays during Lent,I believe chicken is also allowed due to the elevated prices of fish and seafood during Lent.

Chris, my family observes no meat Fridays as well....usually fish or just vegetarian dishes. No big deal or hardship, just tradition.

I have not gone to church for years and we usually have fish on Friday..When I was a kid the Catholics had fish or not meat on Friday. We did not have chicken either but especially no pork or beef. Now it is no meat during Lent but fish is good for you so we usually obeserve that tradition no matter what.j

Voltaire went to jail for eating lard during a Friday or lent and in the Middle Ages the bourgeois would buy Indulgences from the chutch so they could eat butter during Lent. There is a tower somewhere in France built by the Catholic church that was built with the money people paid to be allowed to eat butter during Lent...

Some years ago we arrived in Mascota on Ash Wednesday and restaurants were serving dishes with no meat. Lots of cheese but no meat.They told us they were dishes for Lent, wether they continued after Ash Wednesday I do not know but I had forgotten it was Ash Wednesday and the night was falling when we arrived. Everyone was walking around with a cross on their forhead. I thought they were tatooes and I wonder to which tribe everyone belonged to, then we realized it was Ash Wednesday, it was on the spooky side at first as I had never seen that custom practiced. In France the priests made crosses with ashes..but no one was stamped...

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Some years ago we arrived in Mascota on Ash Wednesday and restaurants were serving dishes with no meat. Lots of cheese but no meat.They told us they were dishes for Lent, wether they continued after Ash Wednesday I do not know but I had forgotten it was Ash Wednesday and the night was falling when we arrived. Everyone was walking around with a cross on their forhead. I thought they were tatooes and I wonder to which tribe everyone belonged to, then we realized it was Ash Wednesday, it was on the spooky side at first as I had never seen that custom practiced. In France the priests made crosses with ashes..but no one was stamped...

Haha,this Ash Wednesday I rubbed a cross with cigarette ash on my forehead while my wife was at Mass getting hers,she just laughed and said..Que payaso eres.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching some of the local "Mexican" restaurants and this no meat cuaresma continues through out Lent. In some it is just Fridays in others it is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Archived