Chapala.com Webboard

Guad-Chapala Caraterra delay Thursday 25/02

geeser

Just got back from airport and there was a delay as I came south on Guad/Chapala Careterra at the Soriana & Farmicia Guadalajara south of airport but north of the Tlaljocomulco cut off. There was some sort of protest with people standing blocking the street. There were cops on the scene but doing nothing much like watching looters in US towns and doing nothing. The protestors completely blocked the south bound and were starting to flow into the north  bound lanes. A single lane opened temporarly south bound and I squeezed through but they beat and kicked my car as the cops watched.

These protesters were not looting. Residents of Fracc. Los Agaves are demonstrating for their rights to access running water. Due to the lack of water, the local school has also been cancelling classes and parents are concerned about the education (and lack thereof) that their children are receiving. 

For future reference, I recommend checking the Trafico ZMG facebook page https://www.facebook.com/traficozmg/?fref=ts and downloading the "Waze" app on your phone https://www.waze.com/ for updates on traffic conditions.

As the name suggests, "Trafico ZMG" is limited to the greater metropolitan zone of Guadalajara but Waze can be used throughout Mexico. :)

No, I didn't say they were looting. I said the cops were just standing around watching law breakers just as they have in the states for the last 18 months instead of doing their jobs. I only thing I saw was illegally blocking traffic and beating on people's cars. The people the protestors affected had nothing to do with their water problem and they certainly didn't garner any sympathy from those who were delayed.

I saw it and posted it to Twitter of Trafico ZMG and from ther eothers copied it, traffic was backed up a bit and it started before 11am.

2 hours ago, geeser said:

No, I didn't say they were looting. I said the cops were just standing around watching law breakers just as they have in the states for the last 18 months instead of doing their jobs. I only thing I saw was illegally blocking traffic and beating on people's cars. The people the protestors affected had nothing to do with their water problem and they certainly didn't garner any sympathy from those who were delayed.

That's not hard to figure out......

It probably wasn't intended to garner any sympathy, so they don't care, but only to attract attention to their cause or grievance.

Traffic was backed-up more then 'a bit.'   I just got home at 3 pm.  It was backed up from well before the airport to almost the Ocotlan

cutoff.  All I saw was lots and lots of State Police trucks racing towards GDL.  There was never a sign of what the cause for back-up.

Now I know.

(not sure why this is double spacing)

Made the same drive... saw them blocking the roads at 10:30 this morning on the way into Guadalajara. Upon our return, traffic was still backed up for probably 10 clicks. By this time they had obviously opened at least a lane, and traffic kept "moving". Took about an hour and a half. By just before 2, we hit the actual protest spot. They had just broken up. Seven black cop trucks were pulling a u-ee (how do you spell that, anyway?), and a bit down the road at a gas station there were at least 15 more trucks and a lot of uniforms getting coffee and Cokes.

Waze is great for finding these things out, but only if you have Internet on your cell phone while driving. However, we called a friend who was at his computer and could tell us.

Archived