Chapala.com Webboard

US Voter Registration

LCS Bus Trips

The service desk at the Lake Chapala Society has 2 books detailing how to request an application to vote in the US elections. The applications are dependent upon the state in which one last resided prior to moving to Mexico or elsewhere.

One must submit the request to their last known state residence in order to get "recognized' and for the election office to send a ballot to them. The manner of submitting the request is determined by each state whether it can be faxed, sent electronically or mailed. The same applies for the actual ballot.

You are welcome to view the books at the LCS; service desk hours are 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Please note that LCS is closed on Monday, February 1, for Dia de Constitucion.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the US Consulate and they have plans to help people register to vote as well as can take ballots to mail for you. They said they will be publishing details soon.

I usually get my mailed ballot a couple of weeks after they are due at my state elections office. I have even requested a vote-by-computer ballot and signed an authorization allowing my signature to not be on that ballot and got nothing from my state. Makes it difficult to care about voting.

Go to the Website VoteFromAbroad.org and fill out the forms. The rules for each state are a bit different. Since they do check postmarks, using a fake US address could be a bit problematic. I think it also my be illegal.

https://www.votefromabroad.org/vote/home.htm

Yo, I would call your County Clerk's office. Usually they are pretty helpful. Unfortunately a lot depends on the state you are from and it they want people to vote, or not.

I've been through all that has been suggested except for having my ballot sent to me from my US address. I don't have a forwarding mailbox anymore, but I'm sure someone would let me use their SolYLuna address. I'll try that this year. Thanks

ADD: I just checked and my state sends out absentee ballots 2-3 weeks before the election. Even if everything was timed right, I don't think my ballot would be received in time to be counted. But I will try anyway.

Archived