Chapala.com Webboard

Columbia Bridge crossing

tomgates

In the mornings be sure to watch your speed exactally as there are numerous speed changes for no apperant reason, and maybe the N. Laredo cops will leave you alone. If stopped and you were not speeding just request folio repeatedly. They will tell you that you'll have to follow them back to N. Laredo and pay the fine, say fine, and stick to your position. They will eventually give up as they want cash and do not want to give up their luccrative road spot to go back to town with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Geezer,

We were stopped in January 2015 in Nuevo Laredo, told we were speeding, and that we owed 1300 pesos. We asked for a ticket, he wouldn't give us one, we asked to ge taken to the station, he wouldn't take us. What is a person to do at this point? He has a gun. Even if he says he wil take you to the station, how do you know that's where he's taking you?

You say they will eventually give up and let you go. How do you know they won't yell halt when you drive off and start shooting?

I have been driving the highways in Mexico for many years. I have been stopped by traffic police, state police, and federal police. Usually it is in a "speed trap" and yes I am usually guilty. I have been stopped in both foreign plated and Mexican plated vehicles. Everything from a Mercedes sports car to a 10 year old Mitsubishi.

Since 1967 I have never paid mordida or received a ticket. Worst offence 120 in a 65 zone.

First thing is to smile!! Be polite and respectful. Second is to apologize for your violation. Third is to say you will pay for your violation. Fourth ask for the ticket.

I have been threatened with confiscation of license (San Luis Potosi state police) need to go pay ticket (Nuevo Laredo traffic police). I always say if that is necessary I will do as they say, because I am sorry and wish to pay my fine.

NEVER NEVER pay mordida. It is a crime for you as well as the police. Plus it only encourages them to do it to the next person.

Although they carry big rifles, and sometimes look menacing, they are just looking to supplement their low pay (sometimes less than your maid earns) Let them get the money from some other person. They are not going to shoot you over a traffic issue! They will always let you leave and wait for the next sucker.

Take out cell phone and know the short code to send photos to federales

Yes. The person without a gun is always in a one down position. This is why they place all these restrictions on gun ownership, but of course, that is another topic.

What did you ultimately do?

So with a permit to carry, you would have a shoot out with traffic police over a ticket or are you just saying that if they see or know you are carrying they will let you go?

So with a permit to carry, you would have a shoot out with traffic police over a ticket or are you just saying that if they see or know you are carrying they will let you go?

How did you manage to turn what he posted into this? He said nothing about carrying himself, he merely pointed out the guy with the gun has the upper hand over the guy without one.

He did not refer to himself in any manner in this post:

Yes. The person without a gun is always in a one down position. This is why they place all these restrictions on gun ownership, but of course, that is another topic.

The bold part is third person singular, not first person. There are no "I" references from Sr. Galt in this rather obviously factual statement. Maybe if like in the movies one is a lightning fast Kung Fu killer they might be able to disarm and subdue the guy with a gun.

For us old folks, nope.

What Galt posted is just common sense. Particularly given how corrupt and crime ridden the cops are here.

Bottom line is that if they won't give you the ticket and they demand money, you are best off giving it to them like you should when confronted by any other armed thief. There is nothing you own worth getting shot over IMO.

The numerous reports of these shakedowns on this route is exactly why we avoid it.

We go through Pharr.

That doesn't avoid the crooked cop shakedown on the south San Luis Potosi bypass cuota but we've been missing that one as well by just driving straight through San Luis Potosi. Requires some more driver effort but actually saves a little time and a fair amount of distance.

No. I would not. I am saying the score would be even and they would drop the matter, just as you did when you were intimidated by the weapons. It works both ways. Most are not $%&/()s and won't get into a shoot out over a ticket. Weapons are deterrents against that type of intimidation. Pretend you are robber. You have a choice between a house that you know has no defenses versus one that does. Which one will you break into?

I say again....It is not a problem, unless you make it a problem. Never pay mordida. It is a crime equal to north of the border. Be nice! Smile! Say you are sorry! Ask for the ticket! NOTHING WILL HAPPEN! You don't need to avoid speed traps. Just act as I suggest. The police will not waste their time with you ,but will wait for a sucker.

We spent over an hour with the officer asking for a ticket, which he declined to give us. We told him we didn't have that much money with us. He would not back down, would not let us go, just demanded payment. When we make the drive again we will take the advice given today.

I always felt uneasy with mordidas till I read the history of the colonization of Mexico. It's a cultural thing here. I just reach for my wallet and happily tell them I'm glad to help out.

Archived