Chapala.com Webboard

Under the hood invaders

roxelle44

Ammonia - pure ammonia, not laundry detergent with ammonia - in a pan with a sponge in it and placed under the engine compartment or IN the engine compartment will keep just about anything out of that engine compartment. Two things, however: you must refill the pan periodically and you may have to remove the pan before driving the car. Walmart and SuperLake usually have ammonia in the laundry section.

Our NOB professional pest control guy agrees with Pogo: ammonia. Squirrels & raccoons often ignore moth balls. The pan of ammonia could work, but with messy consequences if you or some other driver forgets it.

Instead you could soak rags with ammonia, or tennis balls, or other things that are absorbent and easy to handle. or put the pan of ammonia on the ground under the motor? I've used it on rags to keep raccoons and squirrels from returning to our attic and from returning to the eaves of our previous home.

Not all stinky things have the same risks to our health: Note that ammonia vapors are only an irritant, while the advice to use Naphthalene - moth balls - is a mistake - as Naphthalene creates reasonable cancer risks.

I have some little hot peppers that grow wild in my flowers. Little tiny things, hotter than heck.

Wear gloves!!!!

Put some olive oil in a blender with the peppers, grind, strain with cheesecloth and put in a sprayer. They will stop anything.

Watch your eyes when spraying.

Getting the residue out of the blender is a pain. Hot water, dish detergent and run the blender a couple of times.

Archived