Chapala.com Webboard

Adelita's new requirement to get Tuesday rib special

sm1mex

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In order to get the discount for ribs on Tuesday, you are now required to purchase a drink. A server told us this today.

IMO, that's as tacky as the restaurant that tried charging for a plain old glass of water. They finally stopped.

It would make for a more amenable attitude if they reduced the amount of the discount and let the customer decide if he/she wanted to order a drink.

That's ridiculous, I cannot believe that is so. What if you do not drink alcohol or "junk (sugar/caffeine/soda).

I cannot believe this is a rule. Maybe you misheard. What a turn off, that a restaurant would demand you drink?

Have you confirmed this by phoning the restaurant?

Perhaps it would be best if no specials were offered at all. Seems that people cannot accept that some discounts come with special terms,

this has been common in the hospitality industry for years. If you are too cheap to buy a drink then offer to pay full price for the special.

Don't expect that you are so special you should be exempt. What a bunch of snowflakes.

No it's like saying purchase a drink and get a discount on your meal.
Don't like it feel free to pay full price.

"Strong armed?" You must be joking.

Too many entitled folks here.

And if I could get $10 off by paying $5, I'm in.

People here want something for nothing, always.

Try it up north.

You want the special prices without conditions?

Fine, let us put more hard working people out

of business.

If this is what is necessary to offer a special while

staying solvent then I see no problem. The choice

is to simply not offer specials at all and were I in

the restaurant business here I would not as nothing

seems to satisfy the cheap, cheap, cheap folks here.

My what a horrible thing to say. "If you purchase a drink

you can get a special price on the ribs." Horrid people

to make such outrageous demands. How dare they?

Businesses can put terms and conditions on their specials. It is their business. As Canuck said, if you do not want to meet the conditions don't buy the specials.

i would calculate the cost of the special plus a charge for a beverage I would not otherwise order (and may not even drink) against the regular price of the food. If it was still a good deal for me I would do it. Otherwise, it is not a special for me and I would pass. I see no reason to be angry or insulted by the requirement.

No it's like saying purchase a drink and get a discount on your meal.

Don't like it feel free to pay full price.

"Strong armed?" You must be joking.

Too many entitled folks here.

My what a horrible thing to say. "If you purchase a drink

you can get a special price on the ribs." Horrid people

to make such outrageous demands. How dare they?

Man, you're just making a mountain out of a molehill. Turning the discussion into an altruistic yetat the same time moralistic treatise on the human condition and your presumption that we are all flawed for having an opinion is just so much twisted logic, and way over the top for me.

As Gringal said, it's just a tacky ploy. And the bottom line is this: if you feel like you're being conned, then... you're being conned.

if you think you are being conned then you should avoid eating the bargain ribs. But, it does not mean other people need to agree with your flawed assessment. You choose to be miffed about being offered a lower price on ribs if you order a drink. We choose to be happy to purchase a beverage and get a bargain price on a plate of delicious ribs.

BTW, I do not believe you are flawed for having an opinion. I just think the reasoning upon which you base your opinion is flawed.

1/2 rack ribs were 95, with special the price was 89 pesos, but you had to buy a drink for 20 or more pesos, so with the 6 pesos discount rib special, you had to buy a 20 pesos drink or more to get the 6 pesos off.

It can be any drink, sugar, caffeine, or alcohol. Wine is 45 pesos.

if you think you are being conned then you should avoid eating the bargain ribs. But, it does not mean other people need to agree with your flawed assessment. You choose to be miffed about being offered a lower price on ribs if you order a drink. We choose to be happy to purchase a beverage and get a bargain price on a plate of delicious ribs.

BTW, I do not believe you are flawed for having an opinion. I just think the reasoning upon which you base your opinion is flawed.

To me, this thread is not about the price, but about what I feel is a come-on. If you disagree, then let's disagree. But making sweeping statements about anyone's ability to make a call on this as being "cheap", "wanting something for nothing", "snowflakes"... because I don't like it? Seriously?

And I never asked or told anyone to agree with me, by golly.

I've personally be amazed that with the beautiful and I'm sure very expensive remodel they did that they haven't been forced to raise their prices significantly. With the business they do on their "special" nights, they'll continue to fill the place whether they require people to buy a drink or not. Not a problem for me. We can all vote with our feet. My feet will continue to go to Adelita's.

The last time I had ribs at Adelita's was on a Monday. The price of the full rack of ribs on the specials menu was 20 pesos more than the price of a half rack on the regular menu. I ate my usual portion of ribs and took the other half home for a second meal. It was a great deal and would have still been so had I been "forced" to purchase a soft drink or iced tea with it.

Everybody knows, or should know, that restaurants make their money on beverages. It's the same reason they don't do take-out on their specials.

Good point. If you consider the cost of making iced tea and the usual 20 - 25 pesos being charged for a glass......that's probably more profitable than beer.

A glass of wine at 50 pesos; 6 glasses per bottle is you-know-what, and the local eateries aren't serving Chateau-la-Fancy as their house wine.

They gotta make a living, and beverages are way more profitable than food. The main thing is that the prices on drinks be fair in general.

A couple of older guys are walking along the street in Tucson.
They pass by a bar with a sign that says, “SENIORS BAR - ALL DRINKS 10 CENTS.”

Figuring this is a joke, they go inside. There’s a big, beautiful mahogany bar with a cheerful old guy behind it.

He says, “Welcome, gentlemen! What will it be? All drinks are a dime.”

They look at each other, decide there must be a catch, and say, “We’ll have two Jack and sodas.”

The bartender serves them up and says, “Here you go, fellas. That’ll be 20 cents.”
They put two dimes on the bar and drink up. The drinks are good, so they order two more. Once again they put two dimes on the counter.

Finally one of the old guys says, “Okay, what’s the catch? How come these drinks are only a dime?”

The bartender gives them a big smile and says, “Ah, I get that question a lot. It’s simple. I won a ton of money in Vegas. Way more than I could ever hope to spend. I always wanted a bar, so I figured this would be a fun way to do it.”

They guys look at each other, get two more drinks, and toast the bartender.

Then one of them notices two women and two men at the other end of the bar. None of them is drinking.

“So what’s up with those folks?” he asks. “Why don’t they have any drinks?”

The bartender says, “Oh, they’re from Minnesota. They’re waiting for happy hour when drinks are half price. Plus they have coupons.”

A couple of older guys are walking along the street in Tucson.

They pass by a bar with a sign that says, “SENIORS BAR - ALL DRINKS 10 CENTS.”

Figuring this is a joke, they go inside. There’s a big, beautiful mahogany bar with a cheerful old guy behind it.

He says, “Welcome, gentlemen! What will it be? All drinks are a dime.”

They look at each other, decide there must be a catch, and say, “We’ll have two Jack and sodas.”

The bartender serves them up and says, “Here you go, fellas. That’ll be 20 cents.”

They put two dimes on the bar and drink up. The drinks are good, so they order two more. Once again they put two dimes on the counter.

Finally one of the old guys says, “Okay, what’s the catch? How come these drinks are only a dime?”

The bartender gives them a big smile and says, “Ah, I get that question a lot. It’s simple. I won a ton of money in Vegas. Way more than I could ever hope to spend. I always wanted a bar, so I figured this would be a fun way to do it.”

They guys look at each other, get two more drinks, and toast the bartender.

Then one of them notices two women and two men at the other end of the bar. None of them is drinking.

“So what’s up with those folks?” he asks. “Why don’t they have any drinks?”

The bartender says, “Oh, they’re from Minnesota. They’re waiting for happy hour when drinks are half price. Plus they have coupons.”

Heard this one years ago but it was in Detroit, owner won the Michigan lottery and the guys waiting for happy hour were Canadian. Oh, and the drinks were only 5 cents.

Archived