Chapala.com Webboard

La Sima del Copal

ichbinsaege

This restaurant is up on the mountain in San Juan Cosala, at the west end of the Piedra Barrenada.

It has a very beautiful view of the lake, and the restaurant itself is very clean. The food and drinks are excellent and the service was excellent, and the waiters were very nice. A little on the slow side, but since it's nice to just enjoy the view and company, it's okay.

Today we had a really strange experience at the end of our meal. We (five of us, including my 16 and 18 year old and my parents) went for a nice family holiday meal together. We had appetizers, meals, drinks, and coffee at the end of our meal. All of that was excellent. I can't complain about the food or service.

But, things got strange when we asked for the bills. There was the cash register receipt and then a hand written piece of paper with the total PLUS an amount written down for us to tip. My mom tipped $30 pesos BEYOND that written amount.

My mom told him to keep the change. However, I did think it was weird that he brought back an empty leather money holder and placed it on our table and said thank you. We got up and left and we were at our car when he came out after us. I thought maybe we had left an item behind. He asked us in Spanish for his propina. I conversed back with him in Spanish and he was trying to tell me that we also needed to leave a tip for the kitchen and the bartender. ??? I explained to him that we tipped over the amount that he had written down for us to tip. I told him this in Spanish. He then said "no hablo ingles". And I am thinking "dude, I'm speaking to you in Spanish!!" Finally he gave up and walked away.

I have lived here 5 years, my parents almost 8. I have never experienced anything like this. I am semi fluent in Spanish, but I definitely know what he was saying and I know that what I was saying was correctly said. But he kept pretending he didn't understand me.

Has anyone else had this experience there? I have never heard of needing to tip the waiter and then tip extra to tip the kitchen and bartender. ??

That experience has kind of soured me on wanting to go back there.

I agree with gringal...never heard of the place. I usually go to La Vida Bella gerrards place great view up the way from Monte Coaxla (sp?) in the Racquet Club. Where is this place? Not that I want to go there....just curious.

On the right after Iguana restaurant in the row of restaurants towards San Juan Cosala

I agree with gringal...never heard of the place. I usually go to La Vida Bella gerrards place great view up the way from Monte Coaxla (sp?) in the Racquet Club. Where is this place? Not that I want to go there....just curious.

Below and to the east of La Vita Bella.

I was there in November and there was no such problem as the OP reported.

I went there maybe 10 times when it was El Risco and likewise never had any problem.

The menu and staff are different from El Risco but it still has a spectacular setting. Worth a visit.

Archived