Chapala.com Webboard

Results of today's meeting with presidente Degollado

HarryB

Results of today's meeting with Presidente Degollado

1. he was very angry to hear that a new larger sign has been put up advertising the "off road park" at Tobolandia. Tobolandia will receive a letter ordering the sign removed. They will be fined for putting up a sign without a permit. They will receive a letter assuring no permits will be issued for this activity at this location.
2. The Presidente acknowledges the different type of tourism that Ajijic wants and will work to promote that for us. An agreement has been made with the charros to reject loud, late night events in favor of more traditional events of low volume ending between 9 and 11 p.m. The environmental office is preparing to enforce the national noise law.
3 A mexican committee will be formed to meet with the Ajijic priest and the cojete person to arrive at a reasonable compromise reducing the power and number of said.

I would suggest that none of our communities really wants or benefits from the kind of tourism that disrupts and destroys the local environment and community. The people who come to these grossly over amplified events do not visit local landmarks, shops or restaurants. They drive in for the event, hang in and around the venue late at night, buy junk food there and throw their trash on the ground and go home.

Pueblo Magico if it could be achieved would bring the kind of tourism that we all do want: People who come during the day to see the sights, visit the shops selling local crafts and eat in the restaurants.

There's a reason these things are showing up here and it is twofold: First I suspect you'll find they've been run out of other places for the obvious nuisance they create and second, at least up to now, the promoters have been given permission to do this stuff here.

Let's hope this is the beginning of running them out of here too. If actually followed through with, this might also signal a shift to better local government.

Not sure how the last item is going to help as the random, late night/early morning fireworks may be more about individual parties or partiers than they are about organized stuff.

Now Harry, see if you can get the pot holes fixed. You're on a roll! :)

I would suggest that none of our communities really wants or benefits from the kind of tourism that disrupts and destroys the local environment and community. The people who come to these grossly over amplified events do not visit local landmarks, shops or restaurants. They drive in for the event, hang in and around the venue late at night, buy junk food there and throw their trash on the ground and go home.

Pueblo Magico if it could be achieved would bring the kind of tourism that we all do want: People who come during the day to see the sights, visit the shops selling local crafts and eat in the restaurants.

There's a reason these things are showing up here and it is twofold: First I suspect you'll find they've been run out of other places for the obvious nuisance they create and second, at least up to now, the promoters have been given permission to do this stuff here.

Let's hope this is the beginning of running them out of here too. If actually followed through with, this might also signal a shift to better local government.

Not sure how the last item is going to help as the random, late night/early morning fireworks may be more about individual parties or partiers than they are about organized stuff.

Now Harry, see if you can get the pot holes fixed. You're on a roll! :)

Presidente Degollado actually said in a Facebook comment on their government Facebook page that the carretera is going to get repairs in early 2016. Let's hope that is true. I am on Hidalgo in Chapala and man that street has some serious potholes. They keep filling them every couple of months, but the road really needs resurfacing. Of course, I realize that this will means that resurfacing will likely happen overnight, but I can deal with that noise if it means I don't have to hear big trucks and cars hitting those potholes all day and evening.

I really think he is making good strides at fixing things. Of course everything cant' be fixed at once. But the team he has working seems to be working quickly.

The sky rockets have been unusually large number this year and occurring all during the nights. Very disturbing to everyones sleep whether they work or not starting at 2:30 - 3 a.m..

Also a traffic light at Revolucion is desperately needed. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed at this intersection, especially on Tiangus day. Please try to get a light.

we will not eliminate the cohetes. We will work to reduce their power and quantity. I'm going to see the delegado tomorrow about getting the pothole guys back to work.

My wish list:

UBER or taxi service from at least 5 to 6 taxis that are stationed at the plazas until 2am nightly so that visitors can get around and get home

Fix Hidalgo street from Madero to the Sail / Mural, huge potholes and a very poor image for Chapala

Fix the dangerous highway to Guadalajara with reflectors and painting and widening like they did from Joco to Guad

Place more trash cans on streets a block from main one to keep trash in its place

Yes!!! on late night taxis and a light at Calle Revolucion!!!! The issue isn't the traffic, the issue is that it is nearly impossible for pedestrians and cars from Calle Revolucion to cross or make a left hand turn onto the carretera at that very busy intersection. I support pedestrian safety since I am carless by choice here. And many people of the village are also carless. You feel like you have to run for your life to get across the carretera. I have almost been completely run over by reckless drivers there. That's why all the topes and lights are essential!!

I've devised my own little strategy for walking across the very crowded carretera: I usually have a shopping bag in my hand and then I stiffen both my arms and swing them in a very wide vertical arc to get the attention of oncoming cars. It's like I make myself into a visible traffic signal. Then, some nice oncoming driver will see me and let me cross. It's tricky to get a car from opposite direction to do that at the same time! That's why all the lights are necessary on the carretera.

Also last night driving through SAT noticed that they need to paint limit lines where to stop at stoplights and broad visible crosswalks

Yes!!! on late night taxis and a light at Calle Revolucion!!!! The issue isn't the traffic, the issue is that it is nearly impossible for pedestrians and cars from Calle Revolucion to cross or make a left hand turn onto the carretera at that very busy intersection. I support pedestrian safety since I am carless by choice here. And many people of the village are also carless. You feel like you have to run for your life to get across the carretera. I have almost been completely run over by reckless drivers there. That's why all the topes and lights are essential!!

I've devised my own little strategy for walking across the very crowded carretera: I usually have a shopping bag in my hand and then I stiffen both my arms and swing them in a very wide vertical arc to get the attention of oncoming cars. It's like I make myself into a visible traffic signal. Then, some nice oncoming driver will see me and let me cross. It's tricky to get a car from opposite direction to do that at the same time! That's why all the lights are necessary on the carretera.

But why do you think they would actually stop for a silly light? We all know they are merely suggestions. Then newbie pedestrians, especially those from California, will actually think they are safe stepping into the road and BAM! Possibly better that everyone really uses extreme caution.

I read a story about an extremely dangerous intersection in Sweden where way too many accidents were happening. Many roads came together in one spot and everyone thought they had the right of way. The engineers put up sign after sign so people could be directed to slow down, keep left, etc. etc. The accidents kept rising. Finally, one engineer suggested taking down each and every sign. It worked. Everyone was unsure how they were permitted to proceed so everyone slowed down and the accident rate plummeted. Complaints from motorists went through the roof but accidents stayed low.

Back to the noise issues... the newest offender is the low flying airplane with the LOUD speaker advertising the circus at Tobolandia. Flying too low over the area is dangerous and illegal and the speaker is so loud that it is setting off car alarms in our neighborhood. With our windows and doors closed it is louder than our tv in the same room with us. Loud speakers mounted on car tops also regularly exceed the decibel limits when they are coming towards you. I love Mexico and will take the good with the bad but when something could be better...why not make it better? Mexicans will have to step up and keep Ajijic and Chapala form becoming a cultural dumping ground. That would go a long way towards making these towns Pueblos Magicos. Alan

Traffic level is way way too high on the highway for 4 way stops to work. Can you imagine Sunday afternoon or evening with every car on the highway having to stop at every intersection? Adjustable synced lights is the solution with longer green times on the highway when traffic is high.

Archived