Chapala.com Webboard

looking at buying a used motorcyle, in different states and locally. any taxes for bringing a bike into Jalisco? what about proof of ownership, will bill of sale suffice? any special issues concerning bikes not originally bought in mexico? need list of all things to look for in buying legally. would appreciate any help.

Out of state vehicles can be very problematic and it can be a hassle to get Jalisco plates

What type of moto are you looking for?

Dual Sport

Roadster

Cruiser

Sport bike

There are a ton of motos in and around GDL. I strongly suggest you buy locally.

There are a lot of local riders. Post what you are looking for and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

It could be really trouble if not properly imported/nationalized/all paperwork in order since new from dealership, etc., etc.

I agree with the “buy local“ advice and suggest going to the recaudadora office with the seller before handing over the cash. If the seller balks at that, walk away.

looking at buying a used motorcyle, in different states and locally. any taxes for bringing a bike into Jalisco? what about proof of ownership, will bill of sale suffice? any special issues concerning bikes not originally bought in mexico? need list of all things to look for in buying legally. would appreciate any help.

Actually not a big deal hacienda will ask for the last few referendos "depending on age of the bike" or renewals, otherwise you would have to take it on to verification in Guad to register it here.

I have purchased a couple of used bikes from different states, me personally I avoid anything from Mexico City.

As a side note if you can get the plate number from the seller " usually not an issue" you can verify title by phone from hacienda.

Good advise so far. What are you looking for? Tight bike community here and easy to put you on track once we know whatbyou want. Where do you live, what ride do you think would work best? Lot of KLR 650 riders here, good BMW contact and a couple or three Harley riders. Good guys all. Forget about out of state as said.

I want something with drive shaft: Honda shadow, spirit, Yamaha V-Star, Venture, Virago. Kawa Vulcan, also KLR 650 - chain drive as well. Expect a bike with some miles and years on it because of money limits (about 55,000 pesos). BMW is great is It's not too much dough.

It would be helpful to know a mechanic I could take it to for thorough inspection for which I would expect to pay.

I live in Ajijic, and do have a sharp attorney to watch over the deal.

thanks for you experience.

cglane2007@yahoo.com

Buy in state of Jalisco or make sure plates were returned to the sate from where motorcycle is registered now. This law came into effect a year ago.

saludos

Sonia

There are a lot of bikes for sale at the Iron Horse Saloon, the cleanest Biker Bar I have ever seen -- on the mountain side, right across from Maskaras clinic in Riberas. A couple for sale inside the bar, too. If nothing else, lots of great bikers with lots of experience buying bikes here.

Iron Horse Saloon & Garage Riberas del Pilar Chapala ...

There are a lot of bikes for sale at the Iron Horse Saloon, the cleanest Biker Bar I have ever seen -- on the mountain side, right across from Maskaras clinic in Riberas. A couple for sale inside the bar, too. If nothing else, lots of great bikers with lots of experience buying bikes here.

Iron Horse Saloon & Garage Riberas del Pilar Chapala ...

There are not a lot of motos for sale at this bar, but every Sunday there are a lot of bikers that you can ask. I would suggest that you seek out the Mexican bikers there for the best results.Goore or Cassie who work there can translate for you if necessary. Front Bobber of Guerreros MC is there once in a while and he builds choppers/bobbers in Guadalajara. Mr P of mc Los Ocultos is usually there and is in touch with about 1000 bikers all over Mexico.

Archived