Chapala.com Webboard

Mac computer connection

ballbabe

I'd need to know the kind of Mac and the year that it was made to tell you for sure what you need, but either a usb to ethernet adapter or a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter is probably what you need. Take the computer to Steren to see if they have one that is compatible. If not you may have to go to an Apple authorised store in Guad.

But are you sure you really need that? What is wrong with the wireless connection? If you have a good wireless connection and proper internet speed then you shouldn't have a problem streaming wirelessly. If you are close enough to your internet modem to connect with a cable you should be getting a good wireless connection too. Are you able to stream with other computers? Make sure that it isn't just a problem with the internet or wireless connection first.

There is a chance that the Steren store has the correct cable. More likely, one will be found at one of the Apple-type outlets in Guadalajara, for example at the Plaza Galerias across from the CostCo in Zapopan. Thunderbolt is not a popular connection and is therefore not stocked in many places. Without knowing your exact setup, I'm going to suggest you need a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable.

And OasisCloud is correct, WiFi could probably be used, if your TV has the capability. However, even in my own place where the modem is only 5 metres from the TV, and separated only by two floor-to-ceiling windows, I much prefer a direction hard-wired connection. I actually have an ethernet cable running from my modem to the TV. And your modem is not actually in your room, I don't believe, but is a general-population use modem.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed in terms of availability of conversion or connection cables or devices in the last year since you've been looking.

Apple is to the technology world what Communism is to the political world. Everyone is locked into a system. You do it their way or no way. A bicycle with training wheels you cannot remove.

I should know better than to be bated by such antediluvian thinking, but I almost can't help myself - almost. I am just wondering what amount of experience with Apple products has brought the poster to this incredibly astute observation and conclusion.

My husband has a Mac Computer which does not have a connection for the cable that is necessary to stream movies, etc.

Is there anything that he can purchase that would make this possible?

If the Mac is reasonably new (2010 or after) and up to date, perhaps the cheapest, easiest and most versatile way to stream stuff from it to your television is via the newest version of the Apple TV. Anything that appears on the Mac can be "mirrored" on the television screen that the Apple TV is connected to. No wires are needed for the connection. Very simple and it works! $149 USD in the states. Probably slightly more in Mexico. Available at the IShop in the Gallerias Mall in Guadalajara or online via the Apple Store Mexico and delivered to your door.

Archived