Chapala.com Webboard

New membership structure?

Mainecoons

I am told LCS will no longer have a household membership category and each individual will have to get their own membership. I'm also told that memberships will expire on birth date rather than at the end of the year.

Is any/all of this correct? If so we might use this thread to provide a little feedback. It seems to me the first item will result in people just getting one membership for a couple, I've already heard someone say they plan on doing this. If enough people react the same way, it could be costly to LCS.

As for the first item, this is just inconvenient and a further deterrent IMO. As it stands now, once per year in December one of us goes to LCS and renews our couples membership, very easy and very quick and very easy to remember.

How about it LCS?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no reason for couples to get a break on membership fees while single people (most often with less income) pay more.

While everyone descending on LCS in December to renew may seem easier for some members, it has to be a nightmare for volunteer office staff. It comes at the height of winter high season when so much else is going on. Members can mark their calendars as a reminder and give themselves an LCS membership as a birthday gift.

If true, I applaud the changes.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be a one-year term from sign-up in the first place. That would certainly ease the stress on volunteers as there would be no massive rush. It is also 100% fair to members, who will never be short-changed because of their birthday or their arrival.

I'm thinking that the suggested process is only a consideration for the annual budget drive.

(NOTE: I have no idea how this came to be, so I am not commenting on how the LCS might operate... just the concept being discussed.)

I agree that there needs to be more "what if" consideration before locking in changes.

Granted, that there is no logical reason to give couples a break, but on the other hand, many couples will be inclined to drop one of the memberships if they don't.

P.S. I've been a member since 2008, if that matters.

I think it would be very beneficial for a poster that addresses this issue to tell us if they are a current menber of LCS, or not. To me, this is only an issue for current members. So far, only MC has stated that they are current members, no one else. Outside comments seem to cloud the issue, as if you are not a current member while living at Lakeside, chances are really good you will not become one in the future. So. let us hear from members.

I think it would be very beneficial for a poster that addresses this issue to tell us if they are a current menber of LCS, or not. To me, this is only an issue for current members. So far, only MC has stated that they are current members, no one else. Outside comments seem to cloud the issue, as if you are not a current member while living at Lakeside, chances are really good you will not become one in the future. So. let us hear from members.

It is also possible that some people have not signed up as members because of the cost of membership or other objections.

There is no reason their input would have no value in this discussion.

We could ask the question: "If you are not a member, why not?" Might get some unexpected answers.

Note: I'm a member.

Actually, chances are even better that former members (just like me), who quit because of the politics, infighting, ludicrous budgets, slack offerings and sordid lobbying during at least one recent round of elections, might become affiliates again when they hear that offerings make sense. We are all entitled to our opinion on anything in which we are interested or might have a stake in. So your judgment call on the rest of us is unwarranted.

Try being a non member and offering a suggestion to a board member or the Executive Director about how you think LCS should operate, rather than here on an anonymous web board, and you will witness first hand the true meaning of an unwarranted suggestion,

Just because one poster disagrees with another's suggestion, does not warrant that suggestion being labelled as "a judgment call on the rest of us," In fact, that comment is a judgment call by the accuser on the opinion of another person and completely unnecessary.

Back to the OP, the information is correct.

The proposed changes were in the Guad Reporter earlier this year

as well as the LCS Newsletter, etc. The membership approved

the changes at the Annual General Meeting last spring.

The information has also been in the Reporter fairly recently.

All single memberships - special rates for students and those over 79 years of age.

Current memberships expire Dec 31, 2015 and can be renewed now.

All renewals will be issued a new individual card with the printed expiration date.

For several years there has been an option to renew by PayPal on the LCS website.

http://lakechapalasociety.com/weebly/membership.php

Sorry, it won't link but there is more complete info on the membership page.

When you are back Lakeside, stop by the office for a new photo and card. Easy.

Example - if your birthday is January 2016 you just renew for a year.

If your birthday is in March, you could renew for three months until March 2016

OR renew until March 2017. Etc, etc.

People already have "shared" memberships....it's not new.

If two people who had a family membership have 2 individual memberships,

the cost is about 6 dollars a year more.

Hopefully, most folks lakeside will see the value offered by additional and

new programs, expanded facilities, etc.

Yes, I'm a member and a volunteer and am posting as an individual and not officially.

I see no reason for couples to get a break on membership fees while single people (most often with less income) pay more.

While everyone descending on LCS in December to renew may seem easier for some members, it has to be a nightmare for volunteer office staff. It comes at the height of winter high season when so much else is going on. Members can mark their calendars as a reminder and give themselves an LCS membership as a birthday gift.

If true, I applaud the changes.

Well first off, one can go anytime during an entire month. In the past when we've renewed there have been no crowds.

Secondly you miss the point. Eliminating couples membership could very well decrease membership and renewals. Several people we know have already said they are going to do this.

Thirdly I explained why having to renew on birthdays is less convenient and could also result in fewer members.

Sounds like it is moot at this point anyway. We'll just have to see what results.

Jim, when you set up and pay for your own web board then you can make a rule that only LCS members may comment on threads about LCS. Here, everyone gets to express their opinions whether you approve or not.

That's correct. However as far as the organization goes you should not expect your opinions to carry the same weight as those of the paying and voting membership.

Most people here are commenting and offering opinions to each other. I doubt anyone is naive enough to expect that LCS officials read and respond to anonymous postings on a web board. I certainly don't.

I am a former LCS member who is again considering membership because of these changes. So what remains to be seen is if the net result is an increase or decrease in membership.

Archived