Chapala.com Webboard

Windows 10

artsnob

My well informed techie brother-in-law sent me a long email about a month or so past listing all the things that he and his friends don't like about Windows 10. I'm happy with Windows 7 and will not leave it until I'm driven to it. Yes, that will happen but not for a while. Better the Devil you know. Most of the new features I don't understand and suspect I don't need. I only left XP because the music software I use said I had to. Lord, I am getting old but unrepentant.

The old ways are the good ways. I refuse to be an experimental subject for new software. Perhaps this is because I am getting old, but then, with age I am getting smarter and "new and improved" does not cut it with me any more. Heck, I don't even do Facebook. I like privacy. After almost 10 years here, I meet people and they say, "But I don't even know who you are!" And I say, "That's great; I am so pleased to hear that!" Sorry, I just diverted the thread. Now back to adopting "new and improved" software and being a subject of experimentation! May I say that I do not like being a subject of experimentation, even if I don't have to wear electrodes.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 three or four days ago. Painless procedure -- took a while to download the over 3 gigabite install file, that's all. Kept all my links, favorites, toolbars, pinned files, network settings etc. Touch screen and mouse drivers are working noticeably better. Screen is much crisper. Start menu is OK, I don't use it much. Windows Explorer is a bit"improved", took some getting used to. I use Google Chrome so haven't tried the new Microsoft web browser. Re-start is much quicker and signing in seems to go a bit quicker. There is a Solitaire game provided, pretty basic; no other games.

I started reading "Windows 10 for Dummies" before installing ("RTFM" is a favorite saying of mine, more honored in the abeyance than the actuality) -- here's the 2-star review that I posted on Amazon:

" Very poorly written and edited. Screen shots in this book are too fuzzy to read. Don't waste your money - Microsoft's on-line intro to Windows 10 is far better than this book http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-to-know-windows-10"

I agree wholeheartedly with jaykay, as I also switched from XP, with which I was perfectly satisfied, to 7 only because I was told by those who are supposed to know that I must do that, because XP being no longer supported by Microsoft would make it even less secure than everything on the Internet already is. But I would add that 7 has brought no advantage to me, and that I much prefer XP, particularly for its Outlook Express e-mail that is, to me, much more convenient to use than 7's Windows Live Mail, as is the storage and recall of documents on XP. Also, I have been unable to find out how I can download photos from my camera on 7 and separate them according to where they were taken. Consequently, I am still using XP on my old laptop to download and store my photos. If it is possible to separate photos downloaded on 7 into groups according to where they were taken, I guess I will need to hire someone to do that one day.

Having been faced with the need to do daily backups for 8 computers at my office in Canada I learned many years ago to make my computers do what I wanted them to do and not rely on the convoluted microsoft system of storing files.

Basically I set up a master file with as many sub files as I want. I setup all software to save to this file and it's subfiles and I have a one stop system to backup and to view files like pictures etc. A system that you can add to at any time.

Very straight forward and it works with any version of windows.

With 8 computers I had all of them save to the "server" and backup became a one click issue. I used Carbonite for backup. I should mention that I had in excess of 20,000 files. If the "server" needed repair work out of the office I just removed the "Data" hard drive so that no client information could be compromised.

These days we all have a large amount of personal information on our computers and it has become even more necessary that it is protected at all times.

Archived