Chapala.com Webboard

Alicante Snakes

CHILLIN

Our housekeeper caught and killled a 12 inch long black snake. I was trying to open the door to get it outside, but she said it was dangerous, so I told her better off smacking it - which she did. She called it a chica Alicante, a type of viper, peligroso she said. The closest I could find on the internet was black garter snake, which are definitely in Chapala. I asked our main gardener, and showed him the carcass - he not only confirmed "Alicante" but told us some rather bizarre stories about this creature.

http://dkeen.tumblr.com/post/514246112/the-alicante-is-a-fictional-mexican-snake-that

The Alicante is a fictional Mexican snake that drinks mother’s milk and impregnates women, or uses the human stomach as a living place.

“Unlike most snakes, Alicantes supposedly don’t drag and crawl upon their entire bodies, but move in a tall and erect fashion, with the majority of their body upright.”
“When women are recovering from the miracle of childbirth, the Alicante has been known to sneak into the new mother’s bedroom under cover of darkness, often while she is in a state of lactation and nursing her newborn child. The viper first hypnotizes the newborn with its rattle tail, eventually pacifying the child and placing the rattle in the kid’s mouth, keeping it entertained and quiet, as the asp sucks the milk out of the nursing mother’s breast. And after falling in love with a woman, it is purported to insert its rattle into a woman’s sleeping mouth, while inserting it’s own mouth into the woman’s nether region.”

This snake also has a loud whistle, sucks milk from the cows, and can travel through long grass using only half its body, with its head above the grass like a submarine conning tower. All round, quite an extraordinary creature I would say!

I often find black garter snakes in the yard. They are not poisonious and you have a superstitious maid. She should not have killed. it.

I did find a monitor lizard a few weeks ago that I moved to the front so the dogs wouldn't kill it. I wish people wouldn't have exotic pets that they let loose or they let their pets get loose.

I often find black garter snakes in the yard. They are not poisonious and you have a superstitious maid. She should not have killed. it.

I did find a monitor lizard a few weeks ago that I moved to the front so the dogs wouldn't kill it. I wish people wouldn't have exotic pets that they let loose or they let their pets get loose.

A monitor lizard ?

How big was it?

Archived