Chapala.com Webboard

BEST BOTTLED WATER?

Not sure if anyone has ever tested all these brands at the lab, so I'm guessing the best answers you get will simply be subjective. I buy whoever is cheapest, and right now that's a small place in Riberas on the highway. A friend only buys it in glass garafons from Jocotepec Water, and says she can taste the process in some other brands.

A TDS meter only measures one thing-total dissolved solids. Only one factor in many that will affect "purest water........highest quality........best taste".

Agreed - a TDS measurement is no indicator of whether water is safe to drink - not a good indicator of water borne parasites or bacteria that could be present. RO units strip most of the dissolved solids and bacteria but leave the water very tasteless. If you drink water with a TDS reading of 0 it is quite bland. You need some mineral content for better "tasting" water and can be an important source of the minerals your body needs.

My personal opinion is to use bottled water from large companies (such as Santorini, part of PepsiCo) where there is a "hope" they have better quality control procedures than the smaller companies. It would require extensive and expensive testing to determine the real "scientific" results to answer your question.

After 3 years here and tasting different bottled waters, we "feel" that Santorini is the best. Totally subjective, but the best I can do. I don`t know of any objective measuring of the bottled waters here. That would be great to see.

Husband and I both drink lots of water - 2-3 22 liter garrafones a week. We use Katya water. We've met the owner and are convinced the purification process is satisfactory. The delivery guy is a delight. And I tend to be less trusting of large corporations after some of the horror stories from NOB.

Always keep your "inventory" of unopened garafons in a cool dark place until you use them. Sunlight and heat can rapidly accelerate algae "blooms" in water and turn it green. Not necessarily harmful but unpleasant to look at.

Archived