Chapala.com Webboard

Why do people leave?

una

Wow! I've not arrived in Mexico yet but I'm sensing a little discontentment from a few of folks living in Ajijic with regards to petty theft. Hopefully this thread does not reflect the underlying sentiment of the entire village. No, I'm quite sure it doesn't.

After 30 years of living in England followed by 30 years living in the U.S., my wife and I thought our final adventure could be 30 years living in Mexico. We have made a few exploratory visits and quickly fell in love with the place but after reading some of the comments here we're now wondering, "Is this a place growing more unsafe or not?". Since we're talking adventure here, it's unlikely to dissuade us from living in Mexico, but it might influence buying versus renting. Sorry, I apologize for the off topic drift...

I guess you don´t see too much petty theft in areas where you live now or before. However in many places in Mexico it is important to secure your property enough to discourage break-ins and broken vehicle windows by yourself and not to rely on police vigilance or passerbys doing anything, in general. Police in many places are extremely lazy. Living in solid middle class or upper middle class neighborhoods is a good place to start. Home central alarm system is the best way to keep them out when you are not there. Secured gated guarded up scale "Community" is what we use to keep our house safe. Here they do not fool around and it is secure. Some are more of a joke in security matters. IMO

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would appreciate any of your honest and respectful responses and observations about the reasons why many people leave the area behind.

The important thing to remember is that you are now FREE! Testing your wings, maybe, but get out there and fly. Watch the birds of Chapala, see how they tumble through the air, basking in the sun. Although they may be acting that way because it is mating season, and food is abundant, but they are sending a message. The more "stuff" you bring, or buy while here, will just weigh you down and will make you worry.

There will always be those who will try to crush your freedom and joy. You say you want to sit under a palm tree and sip a margarita - they will tell you there is no shade under a palm, your drink will get warm in minutes, a lot of ants and insects are attracted to the tree, and, besides, didn't you know that all over the world 42 people a year are killed by falling coconuts.

So explore and build your own Mexican memories and mistakes. It is very much a natural way of life here. But then again, don't be surprised if one day you crave (let's say) a freshly made corndog on a stick with that carnival fair mustard!

Wow! I've not arrived in Mexico yet but I'm sensing a little discontentment from a few of folks living in Ajijic with regards to petty theft. Hopefully this thread does not reflect the underlying sentiment of the entire village. No, I'm quite sure it doesn't.

After 30 years of living in England followed by 30 years living in the U.S., my wife and I thought our final adventure could be 30 years living in Mexico. We have made a few exploratory visits and quickly fell in love with the place but after reading some of the comments here we're now wondering, "Is this a place growing more unsafe or not?". Since we're talking adventure here, it's unlikely to dissuade us from living in Mexico, but it might influence buying versus renting. Sorry, I apologize for the off topic drift...

Every place is growing more unsafe. Having said that, this place continues to have very little crime against the person and the exercise of common sense can pretty much eliminate petty theft from you, your home or your vehicle. We've been here 7 years and don't feel the least bit threatened or unsafe.

You should always rent first and really get to know the area and decide if you really want to live here. This latter bit of advice is a "don't do as I do, do as I say" coming from us but it is good advice nevertheless.

Guest bennie2

cincy, adventure is in the eyes of the adventurer. someone elses nightmare is another persons fun. pickpockets are the least of your worries. hold your bag the way you would any other place.

Five or 6 years ago, I was sitting on a bench in the Ajijic plaza when a Canadian couple sat down beside me. We got to talking and I found out that they had signed a six month lease and paid upfront for 6 months rent but were leaving after having been here three months. When I asked them what was the reason that they were leaving, they told me "it's too rustic here."

Judging from the huge escalation of traffic, the excessive install of traffic lights and the tremendous amount of new housing developments in the last 14 years it seems to me very few leave compared to those who come and stay. Of course those who grumble loudest are the most frequent heard.

Judging from the huge escalation of traffic, the excessive install of traffic lights and the tremendous amount of new housing developments in the last 14 years it seems to me very few leave compared to those who come and stay. Of course those who grumble loudest are the most frequent heard.

Exactamente. I´ve lived in 4 retirement communities North and South and it is the same everywhere. The bandwidth is devoured by the negative, whining posters who have nothing but time on their hands since they have have no friends. There are plenty of retirees here and NOB who are too busy having a life to bother with this stuff.

" Life is short, so make the most of it. " Tatoo of Fantasy Island.

cf814b0cf126df0aca50f8ebca9491a4_zpslgap

Five or 6 years ago, I was sitting on a bench in the Ajijic plaza when a Canadian couple sat down beside me. We got to talking and I found out that they had signed a six month lease and paid upfront for 6 months rent but were leaving after having been here three months. When I asked them what was the reason that they were leaving, they told me "it's too rustic here."

Did you know Zach who volunteered at LCS? Zack had some funny stories. One woman complained that all her neighbors spoke Spanish and she knew they must know how to speak English. Another called and told him to come over and run the cows out of her yard. One morning a caller told him to gas up his car because, "tomorrow I want you to take me on a tour of the lake." I don't know why they thought a volunteer at LCS was employed by them.

I think these are examples of the types of people who don't stay.

I think kiko and joco need to bite me and, moderators, please close this before the people who love this place get any grumpier!

I think you should lock up your mouse until you're feeling better. :huh: This is an interesting thread, and I'd like to hear more from the people who are answering the original question: "Why do people leave?" Naturally, we're going to hear from those who love it here and have no intention of leaving. They don't sound grumpy to me, and nobody is saying everything here is perfect. On the other side, if a person's heart feels like iron filings with NOB as a magnet, there's no good reason they shouldn't go without the need for excuses. "I just want to" is reason enough.

Once in a while, after struggling with some of the negative aspects of living here vs. back in the states, I do a fast "cost/benefits" analysis.

"Benefits" wins, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some improvements, like getting rid of those "xvztvxz" potholes that eat tires.

Now, eat some chocolate. That cures everything. :unsure:

I think you should lock up your mouse until you're feeling better. :huh: This is an interesting thread, and I'd like to hear more from the people who are answering the original question: "Why do people leave?" Naturally, we're going to hear from those who love it here and have no intention of leaving. They don't sound grumpy to me, and nobody is saying everything here is perfect. On the other side, if a person's heart feels like iron filings with NOB as a magnet, there's no good reason they shouldn't go without the need for excuses. "I just want to" is reason enough.

Once in a while, after struggling with some of the negative aspects of living here vs. back in the states, I do a fast "cost/benefits" analysis.

"Benefits" wins, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some improvements, like getting rid of those "xvztvxz" potholes that eat tires.

I feel fine. Did you actually READ their comments about people who might want want to live somewhere else. They don't sound like happy people to me. On the other hand, I enjoyed my adventure living here but am over it and want to go north. It makes me happy. And, not a fan of chocolate but I like strawberry ice cream. Plus, have said anything negative about this place. Just some of the people in it. Certainly won't miss them.

I like my version better:

Why do people come here? Because they can (sort of like the chicken crossing the road joke).

Why do people leave here ? Because they can, and they are craving a corn dog, a cob of fresh, sweet corn and a stuffed baked potato, all from the Idaho State Fair.

Okay, El Menudo. Skip the chocolate and have some strawberry ice cream. Of course I read the thread and all the comments. Some need to be taken with a dose of salts; granted.

Sounds like you're one of the people who are ready to end the adventure and go home. Good luck, and may you have many more good adventures down the road.

I like my version better:

Why do people come here? Because they can (sort of like the chicken crossing the road joke).

Why do people leave here ? Because they can, and they are craving a corn dog, a cob of fresh, sweet corn and a stuffed baked potato, all from the Idaho State Fair.

Oh, I agree but, it is the Texas state fair or maybe beef ribs from the Railhead in Fort Worth.

The callous disregard for the welfare of animals at times rankles me. My observation was that Mexicans treat animals as a commodity or utility item "what can you do for me", I'll feed you as long as I have a need for you, rather than the love and family affection we extend to creatures less fortunate than us.

I assume you are a vegan? Not to mean any disrespect to vegans; my daughter is one and I greatly admire her resolve. But I am bothered by the great divide in the USA between the way we treat pets and the way we treat livestock, and the lack of laws to protect livestock from abuse. So I have to assume, gittner68, that you don't view any animal as a commodity and therefore are a vegan.

Okay, El Menudo. Skip the chocolate and have some strawberry ice cream. Of course I read the thread and all the comments. Some need to be taken with a dose of salts; granted.

Sounds like you're one of the people who are ready to end the adventure and go home. Good luck, and may you have many more good adventures down the road.

Thank you. I hope to have a full life. I always say that I don't want the place I live now to be the last place I ever live so I am considering this next move temporary. But, where to go next? Who knows! Enjoy yourself to the fullest.

Interesting story on the petty theft angle.

We were looking for tiles for our roof and we went to a little shop on the carretera, a garage-style place with a great variety of tile samples on display. (By garage style I mean the kind with the roll-up front door so it is totally open when the door is rolled up.) No sign of the owner so we went next door where there was a butcher shop and asked if they might know where she was. They told us she had gone to Guadalajara for a couple hours to pick something up.

And she had left the store open with all the tile samples, a computer (admittedly rather old), a phone, and everything else sitting out, apparently with no fear of theft. Maybe because she trusted her neighbors to keep an eye on things (very common here, where family, friends, and neighbors watch out for each other), but the adjoining businesses had work of their own to do.

It definitely made an impression on me.

I assume you are a vegan? Not to mean any disrespect to vegans; my daughter is one and I greatly admire her resolve. But I am bothered by the great divide in the USA between the way we treat pets and the way we treat livestock, and the lack of laws to protect livestock from abuse. So I have to assume, gittner68, that you don't view any animal as a commodity and therefore are a vegan.

The attitudes toward any animal, IMO, should be "equal opportunity". To favor one species and eat another is a bit inconsistent, to say the least.

But "live and let live" works for me.

Also, farm families have the attitude that animals should be useful rather than "part of the family", so it's not surprising that this notion is still alive and well in Mexico (as well as the rural areas elsewhere). Cats were to keep down the vermin; dogs to herd sheep or guard the property. Children were not allowed to treat the farm animals as pets since they might be Chistmas dinner (the animals, not the kids.)

I remember the first morning I woke up here after coming in after dark. I looked around and thought "This is the dumbest thing you have ever done"

It took me about a year for me to figure out how things worked here and "go with the flow".

Occasionally, I get a wild hair and think about going back to Atlanta for a visit. I get on the internet, listen to Atlanta radio for a few minutes and get over it.

I plan to go back NOB eventually by either FedEX or UPS in a cardboard box.

Lived in lovely La Floresta neighborhood for six years. Just Got to the end of the adventure. Enjoyed most days. Siblings aging, kids and grands aging, did not want to miss any more of it. Fed up with crime. Never felt safe, each year got worse. From students murdered to civilians murdered, to police ambushed, just wanted out. I am happy to be back in USA where I can call the police for help and count on getting it! I feel safer crossing the border into TX, safe driving alone through each State across our glorious country! I plan to travel and camp in National Forests each winter to escape cold climate. Feel safe doing it, but did not dare risk it in MX. Tho I have no regrets about the experience, sure Never plan to return to MX.

To ask the question why do people leave invites many of the responses here from people fed up with one thing or another perhaps looking for validation of their reasons to return north. A better question and one that would certainly invoke more positive responses would be why do people stay?

One post mentioned inconsistencies of service or some other aspect of life in Mexico. To me that's what makes this adventure in Mexico so interesting day after day. In the US every outcome is predictable. You come to a stop light at an intersection and on one corner there's sure to be a Walgreen or CVS. In Mexico the culture is a lot different. There's a desired outcome but it's not necessarily predictable or even easy to achieve.

There are lots of people living here who have no exit strategy. We love the climate, the people, the sense of adventure and the ability to spend time outdoors actually doing something physical. I am not the only one living here that has traveled throughout Mexico in barrios that shout near death to the outsider. I'll take my chances here over Chicago or in Detroit where I grew up.

In the next 2 weeks we'll have 6 out of 14 grandkids visiting with 2 staying until August. By then I'm sure we will have had our fill of family fun and will be ready to return to our own lives.

You may of never personally witnessed mass murder but you can read about it almost weekly on the news happening in random small towns or large cities across the USA. Anyways, how many murders in any given local constitute mass murder? 3 or 4? 10 perhaps?

I take it that the drug cartel went on vacation? We have more more killings in Mexico than in the States, 3 times as many.

. http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Mexico/United-States/Crime

To ask the question why do people leave invites many of the responses here from people fed up with one thing or another perhaps looking for validation of their reasons to return north. A better question and one that would certainly invoke more positive responses would be why do people stay?

One post mentioned inconsistencies of service or some other aspect of life in Mexico. To me that's what makes this adventure in Mexico so interesting day after day. In the US every outcome is predictable. You come to a stop light at an intersection and on one corner there's sure to be a Walgreen or CVS. In Mexico the culture is a lot different. There's a desired outcome but it's not necessarily predictable or even easy to achieve.

There are lots of people living here who have no exit strategy. We love the climate, the people, the sense of adventure and the ability to spend time outdoors actually doing something physical. I am not the only one living here that has traveled throughout Mexico in barrios that shout near death to the outsider. I'll take my chances here over Chicago or in Detroit where I grew up.

In the next 2 weeks we'll have 6 out of 14 grandkids visiting with 2 staying until August. By then I'm sure we will have had our fill of family fun and will be ready to return to our own lives.

Stay, enjoy. I'll be at Walgreen's using Applepay. It's just around the corner ya know. Can't wait to get back.

Archived