Chapala.com Webboard

A Heartfelt public thanks to AjijicHiker

Few of you probably know that Chapala dot com member AjijicHiker has been the person keeping the Malecon graffiti free for quite some time now. She has been absolutely diligent about it with the result that the taggers have been largely discouraged aside from that skate park which we predicted would turn into a graffiti magnet, and it has.

That's a topic for another day.

Unfortunately, she'll be leaving us to return NOB and we will lose her wonderful work. Aside from the fact the Graffiti Warriors are looking for a replacement, I want to take this opportunity to give her a very heartfelt thanks for the incredible and tireless job she did for all of us.

From all of us, THANK YOU AJIJICHIKER! You made a real difference in this community!!

She also singlehandedly did everything in her power to try and get that long overdue sidewalk from the schools on the libramiento to the carretera started for the safety of our children and other pedestrians.

We are losing a truly quality and caring human being.

People walk here a lot. Since they allowed construction along the Libremiento and are apparently going to continue to do so, it seems reasonable to expect sidewalks so people can access these places and their jobs without getting run over.

OK but I started this thread to give you a big public THANK YOU and let the rest of the folks here know just what a fantastic job you did in keeping the taggers on the run on the Malecon.

You will be sorely missed. And not for just this.

Ajijic_Hiker. I do thank you for the hard work of keeping Ajijic blight-free. I also thank those folks who do a great job in Chapala, too. Just a thought. I take the 8:45 or 9 am bus from Chapala to Ajijic at least twice a week and there are kids who get off across from Walmart and walk up to the school. I don't know if it is to save money or what but they do walk. A lot stand in front of the coffee shop to--I guess--get a bus but I see kids walking up to the school or trying to get a car ride on those mornings. I have to walk up from that road myself and back again to see my doctor. Thanks Ajijic_Hiker for trying to make that a safer place to walk. I still remember when that big truck ended up in the ditch just in front of the traffic signal. Thank God someone is trying to improve the situation. Those with cars just don't seem to get it.

Thanks to Ajijic Hiker and all the other generous people who have done the hard work on the graffiti project.

On the walking risks: It is true that drivers can be careless and terrible things can happen. Those who are on foot also need to be more cautious, as well.

I often see people dashing across the carretera at the risk of their lives (what if they trip?) during busy traffic within a half block of a legal crossing with a stoplight. Sometimes, with kids in tow. Scary as heck for the drivers, too.

I have to walk up and down the Libramento from El Dorado almost every day. Walking downhill is not bad, there is a dirt footpath along the roadside, so it's safe to walk on that side. Walking back uphill loaded down with groceries is another story altogether.....no place to sit and rest along the way to catch your breath. I wish they would have more buses running up the Libramento. There are several housing developments, plus the schools, so having a bus only once an hour going up there is definitely not enough!

Yes, Ajijic_Hiker, thank you for your work on the graffiti patrol! I hope you are not leaving Lakeside forever?

And on the topic of the libramiento, ComputerGuy, I'm not surprised you don't see people walking along that route. It's a very scary experience . You would definitely see ME walking there sometimes if there was an actual continuous path to walk on.

Thank you Ajijic Hiker for everything you contribute to the community here. We appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I support your efforts to get a sidewalk and/or bike path installed up the libramiento. My mode of transport includes my feet or my bicycle and having lived in various places along the libramiento I know for a fact there are many who have no choice but to walk it. People travelling in fast-moving vehicles tend not to notice all of us out there but we are there and we greatly appreciate infrastructure improvements that provide for more environmentally and financially sustainable modes of transportation as well as improved safety for pedestrians and drivers.

And the libramiento is an extremely high speed road for lakeside. Try going the speed limit there and watch them pass you on blind curves and hills while others form a line behind you hoping you will speed up. There is no road in lakeside where the speed of vehicles is consistently that much over the speed limit on hills and curves. Dangerous, indeed.

Archived