Chapala.com Webboard

Rental Agent Recommendation

Zeb

We finally made it here and are ready to find a rental. I have a couple of names of agents, however, I would appreciate some recommendations. I find that people are able to get someone fairly easily to show them properties. Making the commission is always what they want (which is great. They should e paid) What I am asking for comments on experiences on "after the fact" if problems are encountered, on being honest, and then getting deposits back.

I think using a rental agent/property manager when you are first living here is an excellent idea--someone who will handle problems like leaky sinks, call CFE and exert influence when the electricity goes out, handle utility bills, explain things to the maid and gardener. Having someone who knows the ropes makes a huge difference in your ability to settle in happily here. The agent I used was Veronica Martinez at Roma Property Management, 766-3163 or 766-5171. She was hired to handle the house we bought, while we went back north, sold our old house, packed, and came down, and she was so helpful we continued to use her. Now that I am renting, she manages the condos where I rent, and does a fine job of that also.

I second Mirna at Ajijic Rentals, not so much for being able to find you a place, but for care once you do rent with them. She has a roster of repair and service people. Of course, you need to check with them all when looking, because they only deal with their own listings.

Continental is now handling all of Laguna Real Estate's rentals in addition to their own. Chapala Realty/Coldwell Banker is good too, though they have mostly houses. Laguna has lots of apartments.

Landlords are no different than any other business people, they put their cost of doing business in the price of the rental and the renter pays it.

The convenience of a property manager doesn't come for free. However, I'd go this route coming in for the first time and then as I learned my way around, I'd shop for rentals like everything else.

Summer is a great time to find them around here and landlords prefer long term as opposed to seasonal rentals.

The rental agency is usually paid one month rent upon finding a tenant acceptable to the owner on a one or more year lease after the lease is signed and becomes a contract. This agreement to pay is usually in writing and often the rental is an "open listing" whereby the owner can list with several rental agencies who can then show the property, although only the one producing the tenant receives the commission. Management fees are an option that the owner may or may not choose if they wish to self manage their property or select another party to do so. It is usually in the range of 10-15% of the monthly rent as has been suggested above.

Remember that the rental agent can only do things that are authorized by the owner. Some owners are going to be more receptive than others in making repairs, painting, decorating, etc. The owner often gives the rental agent some leeway in making those decisions but at the end of the day to owner has to agree to pay for anything.

Somewhat the same thing with deposits. The rental agent is exactly that - the agent of the owner. If the owner refuses to release the money then the agent is not going to pay for anything out of their own pocket.

When we came here to rent we used Roma. Veronica is a property manager for many people who own homes here and rent them full-time or part-time. She has a large inventory of properties to choose from all over lakeside and with a a good range in rental prices. She has been doing this for over 10 years. She is obviously trusted by owners to pay their bills and maintain their properties while they are away. She is very responsive to any problems you may have (because her primary relationship and contract is with the owner she is motivated to keep them happy). She speaks perfect English. This is her only business. This is where she makes her money so she is motivated to find you something to rent. We have other friends who use her and are also happy with how she treats them as tenants.

In my opinion, it's best to go into the rental agent's office to schedule an appointment to go look at what they have available. Don't rely on messages left and/or return calls. This just doesn't seem to be the way many people operate here in Mexico. Face to face is your best bet. They get to meet you and you get to meet them and see if you like each other.

Veronica at Roma - We bought out home in 2009 and didn't move here until 2012. We had the same tenants for three winters, now good friends. They were extremely pleased with Veronica as the tenants living here and we couldn't have been more pleased with her from the landlord's perspective. Very, very responsive to both parties with any problems. She managed some major projects for us while the house was unoccupied, frequently sending us photos to show the progress. Even after we moved here and she handed over the files to me and explained to me how to pay our bills, she still dealt with CFE for several months to get a problem straightened out. Tell her the Leitches sent you.

We had a break-in at our property between the time we bought it and the time we moved here,circa 2005. Veronica at Roma was on top of it. And she helped us with measures to make the property look occupied even tho we were not there. I seem to remember that this involved parking kids' toys in the front yard and installing movement activated outside lights.

Archived