Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Friendly Hotel Needed!

Has anyone found a pet friendly hotel in San Luis Potosi? I have been looking on line and thought I had found one, then it verifying the info today, it says no pets.

We will be traveling with two cats.

Over a two-day period last summer, I phoned every hotel I could identify online, through the dog-friendly websites (most of which are terribly out of date) and other posts and recommendations. Even if they say dog-friendly, when I called hotels on the Mexico side between Laredo and the lake indicated that they no longer permit pets (or certainly not 30 kg dogs), and that included every place I could locate in SLP, including chain hotels that accept dogs NOB. I could only find the Midway Inn in Matehuala which isn't much help on the the northbound trek. (Note: I did not try the no-tell motels.) Please post if you find anything and do actually stay.

Thank you for replying. We are heading south, so I don't know if that would make it any easier as it will be our first drive. We have directions which do not include going into Matehuala.

I don't know where you plan to cross, but the Las Palmas Midway Inn in Matehuala is a great overnight that leaves you about 6 hours to Lakeside. Nice old-style hotel, lovely restaurant and a pool...really a nice place on the highway. Another time, perhaps!

I don't know where you plan to cross, but the Midway Inn in Matehuala is a great overnight that leaves you about 6 hours to Lakeside. Nice old-style hotel, lovely restaurant and a pool...really a nice place on the highway. Another time, perhaps!

JRod. Thanks for that endorsement. I am keeping it on my list, just in case....What is their parking set up?

There's a carport for each room and the room door opens onto it; 2 rooms share 2 (lighted) carports. It's a 50s-style Motel with a restaurant in the front. Some grassy areas for walking the dogs as well.

Well, it looks like we may have to go the Matehuala route if we don't think we can do the 11 hour all at once after staying in Pharr. I appreciate the hotel recommendations. Probably, we'll decide once we reach Pharr whether we want to go on or stop.

In that case, we will need to be prepared with directions from Pharr to Matehuala, then onto Chapala. My spouse actually came up with the idea that we would do the long ride from Houston to Matahuala all at once by leaving at about 2 am. We're not worried about night driving in Texas.

I have the Guija Roja map, but it is hard to figure out as the route numbers don't always make sense. I am used to using a Key Map and get find anything using it, however, this one isn't quite that easy.

I remember reading here that there's a NoTell on the north side these guys might use to overnight.

Alan, can you help here?

I have some hotel names that will take pets. Haven't made any reservations. I am thinking we won't have a problem getting a room.

Go to Mapquest or Google Maps...you can pull up good driving directions online.

I swear by my GPS, both NOB and the small MX one I purchased. Gets me right along accurately.

I have stayed in Matehuala many times. There is a large circle walking path made in the desert to walk dogs.

Good luck!

https://es-la.facebook.com/pages/MOTEL-REAL-VILLAS/207573945944363

This "no tell" motel is at the north end of Matehuala, which means you can easily get back onto the highway the next morning and continue onto SLP & Chapala without going through Matehuala.

Good setup, clean & reasonable, & each room has enclosed garage parking.

I strongly suggest you up get a GPS which includes Mexico. We have a Garmin with lifetime updates and use it all the time, including driving around Guadalajara. Occasionally it will send you on the wrong road or on a one way the wrong way, but not often. Just keep it updated. At least if you get lost....and you will it will get you back on track. I wouldn't worry about bringing cats into any motel. It's not like anyone will see you out walking them on a leash like a dog.

Las Palmas Hotel in Matahuala allows animals and is safe and secure with a restaurant on site. Safe travels

Archived