Chapala.com Webboard

Getting Baggage Through GDL

What’s it like trying to get through GDL baggage pick-up, customs and security with a big load of stuff from the US which, in addition to carry-on, would include a good sized roller bag AND duffel bag, and also at least one 18”X18”X24” fifty pound box of personal effects, EACH for two people? Any tips to make it as easy as possible?

Once we get to the public concourse, I figure there will be plenty of offers to help, and Luis Miramontes will be able to give us a hand loading his van to take us to our new home. (Thanks webboard advisors for the Miramontes tip!)

For our year-long—at least—sojourn in Ajijic, my recently retired wife and I are flying into GDL in two weeks with much more checked luggage than we’ve ever brought through customs (always before at PV), and we’re thinking about adding more. Our curbside check-in at Seattle’s airport makes it relatively easy, and Alaska’s additional baggage charges are less than a third what it costs to have our boxes shipped by DHL.

We’re looking for info to help us answer the question, “Is the extra hassle worth the savings?”

All baggage is scanned at the airport when you arrive.If they see anything suspicious you will have to open it..if there is no query then you push "the button" and could get green, pass OK or red go over to customs table for cursory check up. Just fill in your declaration card correctly and you should have no problems

I disagree a little Lakeside7. Luggage is not scanned unless when you hit the button you get red. Then everything is scanned and searched. In the 5 years I've been flying back and forth to the States, one time I've gotten the red light. All they took from me was a package of tomato seeds. I said "Oops! I didn't know"! And just let them take the from me. If you get more scrutiny when you have oodles of baggage, I don't know. On my return here, I usually have one checked bag and two smaller carry ons/personal items. As long as you're within the limits of what the airline allows, I shouldn't think it would be anything different than "push the button and see what happens". Incidentally, I just flew into GDL last evening, so know for sure what I'm saying about not being scanned unless you get the red light is true.

Lakeside is correct. You are to put your luggage on a belt which runs it through a scanner. The red light dictates a hand search. The button has been before the scanner or after it, keeps changing. At least thats whats happened to me every month I go in and out.

I disagree a little Lakeside7. Luggage is not scanned unless when you hit the button you get red. Then everything is scanned and searched. In the 5 years I've been flying back and forth to the States, one time I've gotten the red light. All they took from me was a package of tomato seeds. I said "Oops! I didn't know"! And just let them take the from me. If you get more scrutiny when you have oodles of baggage, I don't know. On my return here, I usually have one checked bag and two smaller carry ons/personal items. As long as you're within the limits of what the airline allows, I shouldn't think it would be anything different than "push the button and see what happens". Incidentally, I just flew into GDL last evening, so know for sure what I'm saying about not being scanned unless you get the red light is true.

Excuse me but you are incorrect.....

I think one of the key questions is at what point one can glom onto a luggage cart to haul all your stuff!

Definitely incorrect Datura. The scanner is first.

Anyway……...

Once you've slogged your carry-on luggage to the baggage claim area, then picked up whatever was checked on the flight and gone through customs, it's time to be alert. You're traveling with a lot of junk and it's easy to get distracted. I would seriously designate one person in the party to be the "go find Luis/help/a porter" person, while the other stood guard over all the junk around you.

Every airport in the world has opportunists working in it, including GDL. And that is the moment you'll be most vulnerable. One person goes to get whatever assistance is necessary, the other keeps an eye on the junk.

Other than that, it's E-Z. And Luis will likely be right there after you've exited customs, etc. Let him know in advance you'll have a lot of stuff and need an assist. He'll take care of you. No worries.

With your amount of luggage you'll fit in quite nicely with other Gringos and Nationals who fly in.... trust me. There will be a 'luggage cart or two' that you can use to help get all the luggage from the carousel up to the red/green light area. BUT you cannot take those carts out through the doors into the public concourse. That part could be a little hairy as no one can come back/through the doors to assist the person(s) left to manage the luggage. It's kinda a no-mans area for about 50 feet or so.

All in all not a real big problem.... but that's in the eyes of the beholder (or the person in charge of the luggage for the last 50').

Luggage is scanned whether you see it or not..

Remember you are only allowed so much in value. Some times restricted totally.

So there is where you may have an issue..the value is low that they allow..like $300. so unless a lot of clothes for yourself which you can say are used..fine otherwise, you take a chance but might be worth it. We have had a few things taken by customs, but not much.

Best wishes..

With your amount of luggage you'll fit in quite nicely with other Gringos and Nationals who fly in.... trust me. There will be a 'luggage cart or two' that you can use to help get all the luggage from the carousel up to the red/green light area. BUT you cannot take those carts out through the doors into the public concourse. That part could be a little hairy as no one can come back/through the doors to assist the person(s) left to manage the luggage. It's kinda a no-mans area for about 50 feet or so.

All in all not a real big problem.... but that's in the eyes of the beholder (or the person in charge of the luggage for the last 50').

You CAN take the luggage cart through the doors to the "public area" where you will immediately be met by a porter who will take your luggage to your car or to a taxi etc. You can't take the luggage cart past where the porters are.

While it may be true that checked baggage is scanned whether you see it scanned or not, on Monday night when I flew in, and every other time I've flown in, the scanner is past the red light/green light, and if you get the green light you walk right past the scanner. Maybe I just get treated differently. It certainly isn't worth an argument.

Luggage scanning is on an outgoing basis, not incoming, except for the random light thing.

Sorry I disagree. As you or the custom person puts your luggage in the scanner. the red/green button unit is adjacent to the scanner machine..yes the customs guy will tell you to push the button, meantime the luggage is being scanned and you could be pulled aside if something suspicious is noticed..that is why sometimes there is a huge backup waiting...maybe a small wager is in order like a 60pesos special lunch at Tango

At PVR airport after clearing INM and claiming your luggage you line up and load it onto a belt where it is scanned. Then you must again remove it and give your document to someone and then push the button. All luggage is screened there after arrival and has nothing to do with what color you push.

What’s it like trying to get through GDL baggage pick-up, customs and security with a big load of stuff from the US which, in addition to carry-on, would include a good sized roller bag AND duffel bag, and also at least one 18”X18”X24” fifty pound box of personal effects, EACH for two people? Any tips to make it as easy as possible?

Once we get to the public concourse, I figure there will be plenty of offers to help, and Luis Miramontes will be able to give us a hand loading his van to take us to our new home. (Thanks webboard advisors for the Miramontes tip!)

For our year-long—at least—sojourn in Ajijic, my recently retired wife and I are flying into GDL in two weeks with much more checked luggage than we’ve ever brought through customs (always before at PV), and we’re thinking about adding more. Our curbside check-in at Seattle’s airport makes it relatively easy, and Alaska’s additional baggage charges are less than a third what it costs to have our boxes shipped by DHL.

We’re looking for info to help us answer the question, “Is the extra hassle worth the savings?”

I guess you know you can't stay in Mexico for a full year on tourist visas, and have your plans in place for longer term residency permits.

Tombo, are you coming down on a tourist visa? If so, with that amount of baggage, they may check it more thoroughly than most. You may want to check the policies for how much you're allowed to bring into the country, value-wise. I know that when my partner and I came last fall, we brought 2 roller bags and one carry-on each, but that was because we were moving here permanently!

In the U.S. all outgoing bags are screened after you check in. A combination of scanning and hand searching by TSA.

At GDL the scan/no scan scenario seems to change all the time. We go back and forth between 5 and 10 times a year and have done so for almost 10 years. Sometimes they are scanning all bags, sometimes only some, sometimes none. Don't count on not being scanned as it may change.

One thing that is consistent is the red light/green light. If you get the red light there will be a hand search. Most of the time it is pretty quick and somewhat cursory but it can be more extensive.

I guess my thought it to expect to have everything scanned and inspected on arrival. And if that doesn't happen you will have a pleasant surprise! Don't "hope" it doesn't happen and then have a problem if it does. No matter what happens it should be pretty smooth as long as you don't have any prohibited items or fail to declare something you should have declared.

You can definitely take the cart from Aduana through the doors but not past the porters - but the porters are there to help.

Good luck with your trip. Shouldn't be any real problem and you are in good hands with the Miramontes family once you get outside the doors at Aduana.

"You can definitely take the cart from Aduana through the doors but not past the porters - but the porters are there to help."

That's good to know.... wasn't that way a couple of years ago when I (inadvertently, not knowing better) rolled my cart through the door. I got an immediate 'no Senor' and had to step back inside the door. But I yield to your experience....

Datura is correct. They have changed the order of things. I went through GDL customs this afternoon (May 6) and they now have you press the button first. If you get the green you leave. If it is red they scan your bag then put it on the table to check through it. My bad.

Suz,

There are many things that cannot be had in Mexico. Many others are 3 times the price or more. I will be herding 4 bags of 49.9 pounds as long as I am able!

Archived