Chapala.com Webboard

Ultralight Rides out of San Juan Cosala?

hkrause

I found a flyer advertising Ultralight rides from a location near the spa in San Juan Cosala. Flyer is postcard size, located at the Hotel Monte Carlo in Chapala. It's in Spanish, and doesn't say much other than claiming to have an expert pilot(s). Anybody know anything about this company? Reliabiility? Safety? Other info? They list a phone number for reservations and price, but no website, or even a company name.

Thanks,

Heather

I thought the ultralights went out of the little air strip east of Chapala. They come from that direction when I see them flying over west Ajijic headed west, and then they return in the opposite direction. (Ditto the helicopter that flies in on Saturdays; I would love to know where that is going and with whom! Or maybe I don't want to know!) I have NOT heard anything about flights out of San Juan Cosala; there is no air strip there so far as I know, unless they take off from the beach? Maybe the organizers are in SJC and they fly out of the airstrip east of Chapala? Let us know what you find out!

I hope this is not going to catch on. I guess I am just a wet blanket but a couple of weekends ago we had a couple of them going back and forth over our house several many times. Not only is it intrusive to have people fly over so low you have no privacy it is also a huge noise disturbance.

JayBear, I don't know details and hope somebody else can shed some light. The ad flyer shows a 2-person yellow ultralight, and the text says:

Vuela hoy sobre el lago de Chapala con pilotos expertos.

Promocion $xxx pesos

Estamos a orillas del lago, Junto al balneria aguas termales de San Juan Cosala

And it gives a phone number for reservations (going to omit that here so it doesn't seem like an "ad" instead of a question). That's it... not much detail. Actually looks like fun, but I'd be nervous getting in one of these with an unknown pilot and company without having input from somebody familiar with them.

Luke, they fly around our house and development now and then also, sometimes low, sometimes higher. Occasionally they will circle a few times then go elsewhere. I'm not too concerned about privacy since I'm sure they can't see inside a house during daylight, and they can't see any more detail of me than I can see of them (which isn't much). They don't fly around our area enough to be that annoying, and I usually run outside when I hear them to catch a glimpse because I like to watch them. But maybe your area is different, and the noise might be worse there. Certainly nothing like the little plane that was flying around advertising the circus awhile back!! :D

Heather

The ones over our house do come close ... it has been rather alarming at times as we have thought maybe they were having trouble they were so close. And, as far as privacy ... I am aware they can not see inside the house but we live a lot in our back garden and terrace. Many times, especially when I am not feeling well I stay in my night clothes ... I just don't like people flying so close I can see them and they can see me ... and no, I don't feel like waving back at them in these circumstances. If they are going to have this business, I do hope they quit coming inland and just take people for sight seeing trips down the lake.

I hope this is not going to catch on. I guess I am just a wet blanket but a couple of weekends ago we had a couple of them going back and forth over our house several many times. Not only is it intrusive to have people fly over so low you have no privacy it is also a huge noise disturbance.

Not a couple of weekends ago for us, last weekend the one before. A red one and a yellow one. Back and forth about 8 times.

What may be worse is the air boat that came by 2 weeks ago. Talk about noise!!!!

The ones over our house do come close ... it has been rather alarming at times as we have thought maybe they were having trouble they were so close. And, as far as privacy ... I am aware they can not see inside the house but we live a lot in our back garden and terrace. Many times, especially when I am not feeling well I stay in my night clothes ... I just don't like people flying so close I can see them and they can see me ... and no, I don't feel like waving back at them in these circumstances. If they are going to have this business, I do hope they quit coming inland and just take people for sight seeing trips down the lake.

Vuela hoy sobre el lago de Chapala con pilotos expertos.

Promocion $xxx pesos

Estamos a orillas del lago, Junto al balneria aguas termales de San Juan Cosala

The last line says they're on the shore of the lake, next to the thermal waters in SJC. "Orilla" means edge or bank/shore. I doubt they're there every day, but show up there when they have a reservation.

Archived