Chapala.com Webboard

dealing with doctors part 2

Okay, now that we have dissed various doctors on the North Shore of the Lake from Chapala to Joco, and not wishing to repeat horror stories I have heard about other doctors--let me say first that those who have suffered have my great sympathy. Thank you for speaking out.

I appreciate those who have had the guts to post their bad experiences here, of which the lady who originally posted will be in my thoughts and I send all my good wishes. I will be thinking of her, and I hope that the knowledge that many of us are thinking of her and wishing her well will comfort her.

I hesitate to imagine what would be reported online about doctors I used (and use) in the US if there were great webboards in Boston or Tucson, but alas there still aren't. We are fortunate to have good online chatboards here. And we have a lot of good doctors who can actually see us in less than 6 weeks, unlike in the US. But doctors everywhere are imperfect!!! The only person I know who has been said to have healed everyone without even a wait for an appointment is Jesus Christ.

On a positive note, if there is one to be found, I am thinking of what we can all do to protect ourselves. I do not have any solutions, but may I just say that reading online is NOT just for doctors. Even 10 years ago when I was living north of Boston, I found it worthwhile to read up before and after going to the doctor, and I always come home here and read about an Rx before I fill it. This is not to say that this helps a lot, but it has been of benefit. My motto is "Trust But Verify." Or to put it another way, "You can trust some of the doctors some of the time, and all of the doctors some of the time, but you can't trust all of the doctors all of the time." Anywhere.

I also want to say that it is tough here when one is single, and it is tough here even when one has a supportive spouse or partner. May I note from experience that when one is single, one needs a network of friends on call, but when one is married, one also needs a network of friends on call. I am on my own now. I have 5 friends (also on their own) that I email every morning; they email me back, and if someone is not in contact, further inquiries ensue. If I get into trouble, health-wise, I fervently hope that at least one of them will be on hand. (Actually, I hope that all of them will accompany me and form a Greek chorus on the sidelines--"You MUST operate--no you SHAN'T operate." SORRY, but I need a little humor.)

So, whoever you are out there, will you promise me that you will find friends here who will go with you to the doctor? If you do not have suitable friends, let's start a new post and connect people. One of the great problems here that LCS has recognized is that there are a fair number of people living alone here who are not in contact with friends every day. I think Chapala Gals is trying to address this also.

What a thoughtful, sweet post.

During the first hour of withdrawal hell, when my doctor's nurse asked, "Is there a friend we can call to come get you?" I felt like such a loser. I was hollering, kicking off my flip flops, wanting to tear off my clothes due to being overheated, looking like a heroin addict in full withdrawal (I was doing that furious arm-rub thing too), and all I could think was I did not know anyone here who I would want to see me in that condition.

Next time, I'll post a new topic! "Pick my sorry a$$ up, please! My doc needs to scoot."

Admin just confirmed that to me. You can report the negative experience, with no personal attack, but you'll have to ask people to PM you for the name of the business, doctor, whatever.

Understand that this is admins call and they do have a legitimate concern as a business themselves about getting in a position of hosting what a court might decide is libel (written slander).

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

I may be all wet, but it seems to me pretty obvious when you take into consideration the user history on this board that what the Moderator was trying to say was that there had been enough public discussions using the names of the doctors in very negative posts. There is a difference in saying no, I do not recommend the doctor you are asking about, PM me if you want additional information .... and saying, no, I don't recommend Dr. So n So because he did this and this and this.

Even though I have had the most extreme kind of negative experiences with the medical profession here at Lakeside, I have also had the opposite .. extreme positive things. It was no different than in the U.S. I nearly died, literally, twice in the U.S. at the hands of 2 different doctors ... one when I was 16 and had appendicitis and my mother was told I was play acting; and once when I was 30 and a doctor punctured my intestines during a colonoscopy. Our family have several other "horror" stories that have occurred in the U.S. I am saying this to say that we can not expect perfection from anyone including doctors. We must question everything and do our research. If we are too sick, then we need to have back up friends, relatives, net-work in order to do it for us or suffer the consequences.

I don't for one minute believe that the Moderator meant that we should not recommend businesses, etc., nor say when we have had a bad meal or service at a certain restaurant. We have a history on this board of naming these kinds of names. However, when we start on a doctor and just keep piling on and on, it soon becomes like a personal vendetta (which I can understand in certain circumstances but then this is probably not the place to carry it out). Maybe, if we could use a little common sense and keep our postings civil and if we want to express the really gory details in a PM there would not be as many problems with the Moderators.

Oops. Oh well, I just read that we can't post negative things about businesses either right after I posted what I did. I guess Shira is correct, this board is no longer relevant. What a shame as it has been such a great place for good and bad references these last 10 years. Will have to see about TOB.

We're a little uncertain as to what is expected in La Cocina. I suggest we continue doing what we've done in the past and the Admin will let us know if that is a problem.

Luke, I think you put your finger on the specific problem with your post #6 above and it was very well written as well. Thank you for such an excellent job of analyzing the situation and suggesting a middle road.

I don't for one minute believe that the Moderator meant that we should not recommend businesses, etc., nor say when we have had a bad meal or service at a certain restaurant. We have a history on this board of naming these kinds of names. However, when we start on a doctor and just keep piling on and on, it soon becomes like a personal vendetta (which I can understand in certain circumstances but then this is probably not the place to carry it out). Maybe, if we could use a little common sense and keep our postings civil and if we want to express the really gory details in a PM there would not be as many problems with the Moderators.

This total doctor topic seems to be like something out of space, or are we "normal " folks dreaming....I am sorry for the serious medical conditions of some people, sorry that they have not gotten proper attention..(in their opinion).... but are still alive to tell their story

If the Administrator is so fearful of slander, they should close down this board and do something that does not strike fear into their heart. The ground rules that are being propounded do in fact make this communication tool irrelevant. Sharing personal experiences (good and bad) with the community is what a board such as this is all about. There is no rational basis for excluding doctors, lawyers, plumbers or whomever.

For us to have to say "I had a bad meal at a restaurant I cannot name, but if you PM me I'll give you the name" is absurd. And if I can speak to a bad experience with a restaurant and name it, then there is no logical basis for not being able to do the same for a doctor, real estate agent or anyone or anything else.

Of course, the Administrator does not have to be logical.

I intend to post according to how I understand the rules. If I am wrong, it is up to the mods and the administrator to delete, lock, warn, suspend or ban as they interpret their rules. If threads become boring and posting no fun there are other boards I can go to. In the meantime, I will just see how this shakes down.

second-opinion-190x155.jpg How a Second Opinion Can Help You With a Difficult Diagnosis 10 questions to ask when you seek another opinion
By News Wire Team | 4/16/15 4:20 p.m.
  • In recent entertainment news, celebrities have talked about the importance of seeking a second medical opinion when you face a serious medical diagnosis. A second opinion allows you to determine if the diagnosis is correct, and it helps you determine if the recommended treatment is optimal for you. If a person is diagnosed with cancer, the treatment plans will differ depending on the specific nature of the cancer cells.

Usually, the opinion that a second physician provides will agree with the diagnosis and treatment identified by your physician. This can offer reassurance as it gives you confidence about the choices you are making about your health.

“In addition to the clinical issues, a second opinion on a pathology reading can also change your diagnosis, and ultimately your treatment plan,” says Jonathan Schaffer, MD, MBA, Orthopaedic Surgeon and Managing Director of MyConsult®.

“The peace of mind that a second opinion can provide is priceless, especially when you or a member of your family is facing a difficult medical journey,” say Dr. Schaffer.

Where should you seek a second opinion?

“I recommend a second opinion from a healthcare institution with significant expertise in the clinical area in which you have a diagnosis,” says Dr. Schaffer.

For cases that involve pathology specimens, the pathologist should also be sub-specialized and have significant expertise as well. “This means that they look at the same types of cells all day, every day, instead of reviewing pathology for many different types of diagnoses,” he says.

When you seek a second opinion, whether in person or online, Dr. Schaffer recommends that you prepare your questions in advance. This will ensure that you obtain all of the knowledge you need to guide you in your treatment decisions.

Here’s a list of questions you may want to ask during your second opinion:

1. Is my diagnosis correct?
  2. Is the treatment plan optimal for my individual situation?
  3. Which treatment plan is the best for me?
  4. Do alternative treatments exist for this diagnosis?
  5. Am I able to safely delay surgery?
  6. Are there other medications available that may benefit me?
  7. How will my other health issues affect the treatment for this diagnosis?
  8. What complications am I at risk for with the proposed treatment plan?
  9. Are there clinical trials available for this diagnosis?
  10. What is my prognosis?

Adds Dr. Schaffer, “As a patient, it is your right to ask for a second opinion. From a physician’s perspective, when your health — and perhaps even your life — is at stake, we want to make sure you are making the most informed healthcare decision.”

Whether or not that is true in Ajijic Hiker's case, IMO, I thank Dr. Santiago for a very helpful list of questions to be asked when you're seeing a second or third or 10th opinion.

It's largely about asking the right questions. He provided a good list.

I'm unclear as to why there would be any question, though, about what he posted: it's a direct link and reproduction of a website called clevelandclinic. And the statement is immediately followed by "“In addition to the clinical issues, a second opinion on a pathology reading can also change your diagnosis, and ultimately your treatment plan..." I think in both cases, that's accurate, at least in my limited experience with "second opinions". Of course, others may have a second opinion.

Since "personal" by definition means particular to a given individual (or business, such as a restaurant), how in the world can one discuss a doctor, driver, waiter, restauranteur or whomever or whatever without getting "personal"? Let me answer my own question . . . you can't . . . it just ain't possible. As such it is not possible to follow the Mods instruction "just don't get personal".

So enough of this foolishness . . . let's opine away folks! What is the reference to TOB . . . this is getting a bit too silly.

Guest bennie2

it is necessary to post experiences w/drs & dentists. we need this. best to PM for the name, as they may take legal action towards the board. (douteful, but who needs a nasty lawyers letter). still not sure if we can mention drs unless its a reccommend? no restaurant reviews? i had a baked potatoe recently (in a so called better dining establishment- called "mr. no name" in an undisclosed location). couldnt even get my fork into it. the cook took them out much too soon. so im not allowed to discuss this? guess i just did. restaurant reviews are on 1000's of sites/forums world wide. very different than a medical review (though that islegal in the US). what about housepainter reviews? ect ect ect. i have been on vacation, im kind of perplexed.

FYI TOB is Inside Lakeside; most posts are in a section called Out on the Mirador. They even have a section where you can post rants. I don't think all posts on TOB are made by sober people. Just sayin! Me, I read and post on both this forum and that one. If you get kicked off this board, the other board gives you an option. Some of us folks like to maintain our options. No telling when some combination of senility and beer might get me thrown off this board.

I don't want to break any rules, but for the benefit of some friends who seem to be spending a lot of money at Dental Express, I'd appreciate some PM's from those who love "em or hate 'em, and why. I have my own favorite dentist who isn't associated with them, so my pup isn't in this.

Guest bennie2

i do better here than there, TOB has given me like 4 lifetime bans, from the thought policing orwellian octogon may i add. which means that its the easiest board to rejoin. i mean thats their thing, what else do they have to do? sometimes there was like 80 comments about an expat they claim they DONT like. (go figure). chapalaweb always let people give bad restaurant/business reviews. im not sure what the status is now. maybe in flux? it could be about attracting advertisers, (?) maybe thats the concern. for this board, the $ is the bottom line. thats why i can relate somewhat. (i may not always agree, but let that go). TOB is about populist agendas. whatever. if anyone wants to know who serves UNcooked potatoes, feel free to PM me.

I don't want to break any rules, but for the benefit of some friends who seem to be spending a lot of money at Dental Express, I'd appreciate some PM's from those who love "em or hate 'em, and why. I have my own favorite dentist who isn't associated with them, so my pup isn't in this.

It's a fair question and you probably should start a new thread.

I went there once for a cleaning, I felt that it was less than thorough and the dentist was quite young. Now I go to Dr. Eloy Barrigan in Mirasol and am very happy with him.

i do better here than there, TOB has given me like 4 lifetime bans, from the thought policing orwellian octogon may i add. which means that its the easiest board to rejoin.

That's a lot of lifetime bans,why do you keep going back?:)

Dent Express. Sprayed water all over me for ten minutes. Wasn't sure which body part the boy was trying to clean. Did not go back. I see dr candy by Moms in Riberas. So far good. Middle price range. I don't pay top $ just to clean teeth every three months....no other issues in yrs.

Archived