Chapala.com Webboard

Personal alert security device

jrod

An older friend has been experiencing falls lately, today being the most recent. Was on the floor almost 3 hours.

Is anyone familiar with any 'Medic Alert'-type personal safety systems here? One recommendation seems to no longer have personal systems (like those one wears around the neck or as a wristwatch), only home alarms.

Any contact information for such providers is much appreciated.

Use just a basic TelCel phone with pre-programmed friend, neighbor, doctor and Cruz Roja numbers. It probably isn't hard to figure a way to hang it around your neck.

Bryan of Vida Alarms is still trying to make a go of it with a rebranded business called Vida Assistance (bryan.vidaassistance@gmail.com, 331 157 5561).

He no longer has full home security systems but he still offers a pager sized device you can carry with you that, when you hold a button down, calls him directly and then acts as a mobile phone so you can speak to him. He will then call an ambulance or make any other arrangements you need. I have a feeling he would come get you himself if he needed to, he's that nice a guy. Speaks great Spanish so can communicate with emergency services and facilitate medical arrangements, too. He can also call the police for you. The device even has a GPS so if you're on the road and have a problem (and can get a cell phone signal) he can call the Green Angels and tell them where you are.

I can't tell you how much this will cost if you want to sign up now since I'm still on a "grandfathered" plan from when the company was still Vida Alarms. Also, it's just him right now since he's trying to build it back up. Don't know if this would work but it's worth contacting him. I'd love to see him succeed. I've never seen anyone put so much effort into keeping a business going.

Archived