Chapala.com Webboard

Another thing Chapala isn't doing.

HarryB

Our Ajijic Delegado Hector has been unable to get Chapala to give him anything for our park. Right now we especially need fertilizer, ant bait, gloves and any kind of garden chemicals. So if you have any odds and ends you'd like to get rid of please drop off at the bodega closest to the pier. If there is anything heavy the park workers will gladly help.

Thanks again for all you do for our community to keep it special.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats wrong with giving kids who don't have the normal stuff our kids would have like computers? I think it was a grant that paid for it. It was on the side of the building but can't remember any specifics. Remember keeping those kids busy keeps them away from the bad guys right? Don't you remember being a young person? Keep em busy any way you can is my opinion. Kids who have access to computers have a better record of staying in school and do a better job in school. You want to help young people buy a young poor high school student a computer and help him/her stay in high school with a little cash weekly for bus and lunch at school. It is very rewarding I assure you and easy to do. Support local soccer programs for the young students also....

End of commercial thanks for reading!

Looking at the topic heading, I get this feeling that we should make it a pinned ongoing discussion since there are so many things Chapala isn't doing we could go on for quite some time.

I hope I'm not the only one who got a good chuckle out of the GDL Reporter article about how our esteemed Presidente is frantically running around trying to line up public events celebrating his many accomplishments before the legally mandated cut off point for such electioneering.

Somehow I suspect we won't be seeing any sort of public celebration of those 30 percent tax increases said Presidente gave us. Too bad because this seems to be the biggest thing his administration has "accomplished" at least here in Ajijic.

:D

Got to get it to use it. They know what to do.

The building at the park is a virtual library from a federal grant. 20 computers/ a printer scanner. There will be a charge for printing. They are setup with access separately for elementary, middle and secondary school students. They can also access from home if they have the equipment. They are going to tour the schools to orient the kids. I don't know the hours, I was busy hounding our Town Councilman Carlos Soto about handicap parking and repairing the playground equipment in front of the old hotel.

A whole bunch of folks got 20-30 percent tax increases this year. lMy taxes are three times what they were 7 years ago for the same house that is worth less than what I paid for it. Seven years ago, they repaired the streets regularly and kept the trash picked up. Now, zero.

After all those tax increases, are the streets getting repaired and kept free of trash? Is the Ajijic plaza being finished? Is anyone enforcing anything like noise ordinances and height restrictions?

Nope.

Do you really think that giving the Chapala government more money would result in better services?

I don't. :D

They applied to the state for a 400,000 peso grant to finish it and got the grant as of last July. I am furious that they are celebrating the completion of the Chapala plaza while the Ajijic Plaza has been languishing for almost three years.

The remodel plan originated with the PAN party and executed by officials with positions in Pres. Huerta's administration. What's left to do

1. One of the quartz sunrays where several people have fallen through and ankles and legs have been broken needs to be installed.

2. Electrical work. There are wires hanging out all over the place. It's a wonder no children have been electrocuted. The sunrays around the kiosk need to be electrified and lighted for night viewing

3. There are 16 feet of tile work missing . Edges and corners need to be rounded.

4. The floor of the kiosk needs to be replaced and the columns finished

BTW the Lake Chapala Garden Club helped with the artistic railing on the kiosk (One third them one third community and one third raised by the delegado from businesses,)

As we come into a new election I suspect the new people will yet again try to change the Ajijic plaza. Unfinished and without funds for 3 years is an argument for tearing it apart and going back to something simple. With Chapala done someone's wife will have a 'vision' and off we will be yet again. It would be what the 4th or 5th remodel. Granted it looks great from the air on the drone videos going around but from the ground its a visual cluttered mess.

Frankly I dislike the new "artsy" plaza and felt the previous new green and cream classic look served the community just fine in aesthetics and functionality. So I am all for no money to finish this one and wait for the new guys to pick something else.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It could be finished in a week, almost all the work involves just finishing wall caps and flooring.

I quite like it and would like it more if it was finished. It is distinctive and helps express what is special about our community.

We live in Ajijic - pretty much in the middle of town one block above the caraterra. We get garbage pickup 6 days a week - and the guys on the truck are very friendly and helpful. If I ask them to help with carrying something out of the garage that always help with a smile.

Went out to run errands and grab some lunch today. As we went up our street some guys were making repairs to the cobblestones on a pretty good sized section at the next intersection. They seemed to be making good progress on it and moved some things around so we could get through. Big smiles and waves all the way around. If they are still working tomorrow I will go by and take them some Cokes.

No complaints at all for the services we receive for the ridiculously low taxes we pay. Like others our taxes have increased quite a bit over the 9 years we have been here on a percentage bases but the total $ amount - and the increase - are a VERY small amount of money. The overall tax base for the municipality of Chapala is so small it is amazing that they can do what they do with what they have to work with, I am impressed - and grateful. Our taxes NOB were easily 30-40 times what we pay here - and they went up every year.

Some people see the glass as half empty - some see it as half full - and some just don't like the glass.

REC, we've lived here almost long as you and have had the same property tax increases. I don't necessarily have a problem with that but over that same period the services have deteriorated substantially as Harry, who is also a Mexican citizen, will confirm. That's my concern--our property taxes have tripled but the services have gone down badly IMO. Yes, they still pick up the trash, but do you remember when many areas weren't getting good trash collection because 4 of the trucks were broken down and Chapala couldn't manage to get them fixed?

Perhaps we all could use a reminder of all the work you and Hector have been doing in an attempt to fill the void left by those declining Chapala services, Harry.

And I don't agree that Chapala is some poor municipality--it has a very rich tax base relative to a lot of places I see when moto riding that seem to do a lot better job on things like streets and plazas.

Some claim that Chapala doesn't get the property tax money but Jalisco takes it. Is this true? If they do get it, how does one account for the obvious deterioration in services and the decrease in the number of city people working in Ajijic as Harry has repeatedly reported (and he is in a position to know)?

If they do get the money their tax collections have gone up far faster than inflation, they should have been able to at least maintain the same level of services we had seven years ago IMO. Where is the money going?

The topic of property taxes and who keeps them has been discussed in some detail with references cited on Mexconnect, in this thread:

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=204821;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

What is most significant is that those who claim the state is taking the property tax are incorrect. The property tax is retained by Chapala. Additional funds, about 46 percent of the budget come from the Feds and possibly the state.

Also, the municipality is not required to increase property taxes up to the full level allowed by the state. But they did. Many municipalities did not, a number are cited in the second source. The Verum report confirms my observation that Chapala has an unusually strong tax base.

A credible local source informs me that Ajijic is sending about 35 million pesos in property taxes to Chapala. That same source suggests that far, far less is being returned in services. Given the low level of services as compared to just a few years ago, it sure feels that way.

According to the source cited on Mexconnect, some sort of fiscal or bond rating agency named Verum, property tax collections by Chapala have gone up nearly 50 percent. The source also confirms that Chapala has a very strong tax base as I have contended.

So, no REC, I don't think we should give Chapala even more money and I also don't think we are getting anywhere near our money's worth.

People who will raise cain if they get shortchanged a few pesos at WalMart while they see nothing wrong with getting shortchanged by government for thousands of pesos never cease to amaze me. Why should we not demand and expect value from our money from government just as we do from any store, contractor or service supplier?

Why should we expect to be and for some, seemingly want to be, ripped off by government when we don't tolerate this from anyone else?

Thank you Harry for continuing to be a vocal critic of the ripoff and a tireless advocate for getting what we are paying for in a rapidly escalating manner.

As I was told:

Ajijic property taxes - 10+ million pesos

Ajijic water bills - 10+ million pesos

Ajijic business licences - 10+ million pesos

Hotel taxes - ?

Returned to the village cut in employees, no subs when employees are out

potholes only filled when the papers are barraged with articles

street lights only replaced if residents pay for parts.

No police patrols when malecon, park and plaza inundated with tapatios

state/federal grant projects only partially completed

plaza left unfinished by same officials for over two years

no tools, materials or repairs at the park and panteon

I'm sure there is plenty I left out, but,

Line up and pay your taxes early to show your appreciation.

I'm surprised the taxes only went up 30%. With such sheep they could have gotten away with a couple of hundred percent.

There seems to have been a lot of attempts over an extended period of time to inform and "build awareness." I am wondering at what point should you conclude people are informed and aware but just do not care as much as you do.

I do not understand your last sentence: "Maybe get a few government loving folks to wake up and not be so eager to throw good money after bad?" I doubt anyone is going to stop paying their property taxes or storm the municipal building in protest. Even you, who seems the most upset about the property tax and how the revenue is spent, have not done these things. If you (with all your passion and information) have not taken action who else do you suppose is going to?

My last sentence referred to some of the cheerleading for still higher taxes on this board. Have you missed those?

Maybe you don't care. Maybe people like Harry and Hector and others that I know do.

There have been demonstrations over Chapala actions by local people both Mexican and expat. Did you miss those too? I went to several. One was about Mr. Huerta permitting Raves in our community. They stopped.

One was about the lack of police protection. That improved.

It seemed pretty clear to me from recent posts here that a number of people weren't so well informed. They continued to insist that the property taxes weren't going to Chapala and that I was some sort of dummy for not knowing this "fact." I hope we've finally cleared that up and we won't see that one again.

They keep trying to equate what services here with what they cost NOB. That was very well addressed by several posters on the Mexconnect thread. I hope you took the time to read it.

Do you have the same criticisms for Harry or is this some personal issue you have with me? Because the both of us have been pretty visible and vocal about this. Usually, I'm posting in threads started by Harry.

We all owe Harry and Hector thanks for not just rolling over for the ripoff of Ajijic by Chapala.

I was just trying to understand where you are coming from on this. I am sorry you read my attempts to understand as criticism of you. I certainly did not mean to upset you by seeking clarification.

As for Harry, I am not sure what he had to do with anything I posted so I can not respond to your bringing him into the discussion.

Since this obviously is a sensitive topic for you I will bow out and leave you to continue talking about it.

Harry started the thread. Harry posted the property tax numbers. Incorrect information about where the property tax goes, and the magnitude of the increases, has been posted here. I went to Mexconnect and with Gringal's help, found sources of correct information and shared them.

Once again, the link to that thread is:

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=204821;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Harry and Hector, both Mexican citizens, are right now trying to get better and more even-handed leadership elected to the Chapala Municipality. I wish I could join them in that but I don't have the required years yet for citizenship. When I do, I will.

I was a civic activist NOB and I will be here within the boundaries of Mexican law. It's a good thing expats are allowed to address civic issues like graffiti or we'd still be awash in it. I suppose you could say that was something Chapala wasn/isn't doing but in fairness they are not alone in this regard in Mexico. They actually did provide some help, as per usual only in Chapala itself.

Thanks for no further posts here from you addressed to and about me instead of the topic. If you want to do yet more of the former, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to respond. That's how we handle personal issues on this board.

BTW Hector has sent HUNDREDS of petitions to Chapala for needed critical items without reply. Delegados of the other villages say they are in the same boat as us.

Archived