Chapala.com Webboard

Birria

Stymie

My friend, an Ajijic native took me for the "best" birria in the area. El Saucito is on the carreterra, lakeside, just 1/2 block east of Plaza Montana. This place has been there for 30 years, serving birria from 9 til 1pm. My friend says that birria is often the food of choice at local celebrations. We had bowls of the soup, broth was delicious, the generous serving of beef was as fall-apart tender. They were also serving the grilled tacos with the birria filling like are sold at the Wednesday tiangis. Not totally sure about the name of the place.

I have never had birria that was made with anything but goat. Are you sure they are using beef?

Birria de res/beef is very common,so is birria de pollo,my wife makes them all the time,I prefer the birria de chivo/goat.

And like stymie said it's one of the more popular dishes served at celebrations.

was told that his place doesn't serve goat too often. this was beef. they sometimes do a mix of beef and chicken.

That's because goat is less available and more expensive,the best birria I've had was in Mazamitla.

The best birria--IMHO--is birria de chivo at El Chololo, just south of the airport on the airport side of the Chapala/GDL highway. They breed, raise, and sacrifice their own goats, then prepare the birria. It's all they serve, other than frijoles refritos and a quesadilla or two if you want those. Sunday is the day to go; the place seats 1000 (not a typo) people and they turn the tables 4-5 times! Constant party, with live mariachi. Don't miss it; El Chololo truly is the gold standard.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2008/07/mexico-cooks-and-el-mural-at-birrier%C3%ADa-el-chololo.html

Definitely! Most use the highway to Guadalajara and know where it is located. If you have never stopped, you are missing a treat. If you go with a group, it can be a lot of fun. Do take a designated driver, as you can have a bottle or two of tequila and mixes brought to your table to share while chomping down on birria and listening to the mariachis. Best time is Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

El Chololo's birria is very good.

I like the birria in Mazamitla because we get it to go and reheat it on a camp stove in the nearby Sierra del Tigre forest.

I LOVE Birria, but only beef. Luckily, here in Ajijic, celebrations with birria are almost always with beef. I have also heard of fish Birria but have never seen it.

When I went to Chololo years ago with More Liana and a group of friends, I just had quesadillas and beans. The gamy taste of certain animals is a turn-off for me.

Archived