Chapala.com Webboard

OPEN LETTER TO OUR SNOWBIRDS

MtnMama

Glad you could come and hope you'll join us again next year.

One request. If you acquired a dog or cat during your stay, PLEASE take it home with you. If you absolutely cannot take it, find it a good home with one of your friends. If you don't find a forever home, please care enough to have it put to sleep.

We ask you to keep the following things in mind:

• Don't expect to just dump your pet off with one of the local shelters - the shelters are full and bursting at the seams. If one of them is able to take your pet, give a generous donation. I'd suggest at least $100 USD for a small dog or cat, more for a bigger dog.

• Don't tie the pet to the gate at one of the shelters, leave it in a box, or drop it off in front of the shelter. It is more likely to get hit by a car or attacked by a wild animal than get taken in. Does your faithful companion deserve to die that way?

• Domesticated dogs and cats are just that – domesticated. Please don't just shove your pet out the door when you leave and expect it to survive.

• Please do not leave your pet in the empty house for the landlord to deal with. Remember it will likely be found dead or starving.

• Please don't give it to your maid or gardener and expect that someone making $500 dollars a month will be able to afford to care for your pet, no matter how much they like it. At the very least, leave enough money for food and Veterinary care until your return.

• Please don't ask your maid or gardener to come by your house every few days to feed your pets while you are gone. Dogs and cats deserve better care than that and there is too great a risk that the caregiver will come upon a problem too big for them to solve.

If you're one of the many people who are horrified that I would even suggest any of these “solutions”, thank you for your kind heart. Every one of these instances, and more, has resulted in at least one of our Ranch dogs. I am sure Anita's and Lucky Dog volunteers could tell you horror stories as well.

So Bon Voyage and take your pets home with you.

Thanks

Thank you MtnMama! I wish everyone was as thoughtful as you about dogs and cats! I've seen so many abandoned and abused pets, it breaks my heart! I wish there was some way to legally fine or punish people that would do such a thing, but catching them and enforcing the punishments are very difficult.

Maybe one solution would be to have people that want to adopt a pet from a rescue society, volunteer a few hours working at the shelters before they are allowed to adopt. That way, maybe they will think twice about the committment and cost of properly taking care of a creature that can give us unconditional love!

I echo MtnMama's sentiments. Having rescued a few dogs that were abandoned on my block and successfully finding homes for them and currently feeding 5 more who deserve a loving home, please do not leave your pets behind when you return north or move. That is inhumane. I've heard the horror stories of people leaving their rental house with a dog or cat inside with no food or water. I would love to see the names of those people posted and that they be shunned if they ever show their faces at Lakeside again.

To me, it is inconceivable that a human would dump their pet because of their exit from Mexico. I don't think those people who do this read this post. And if they do, they are heartless.

If you know of a person who does this, PLEASE publish their names , address, phone numbers and pictures here and on Facebook!

I promise that I will call and ask them to be more responsible as will I hope others.

I agree that this should not have been moved. Can the moderators please rethink it and move it back to the Ajijic section? People contemplating leaving a pet behind are not going to read this section. I am from a tourist community in Colorado, a ski resort, and this happened every year there too, but it was usually the younger people that had been ski lift operators, wait staff in restaurants, ski rental workers, partying trust fund babies, etc, that left the animals behind. Hard to believe a "more mature" type of people do the same thing.

I can cry when I hear these horror stories. I never had a pet till I moved to Mx almost 20 years ago. Now that I have experienced the love of my rescued dogs, I would never want to not have dogs again. They are sentient beings, they think, they feel emotions, have individual personalities, and truly love unconditionally. How good I feel when I have been out for a couple of hours to see my babies so happy to see me- and I them.

By special request and because this is a big problem at this time of year I've honored a request to have this appear in the most widely read section of this board.

PLEASE! Don't abandon your seasonal pets to a very bad end or dump them on the seriously overburdened volunteer care network here!

Wow....thank you for posting this important and humane message...as if we have to do this to mature adults! Thank you moderators too....

I have rescued a rabbit last year and a beautiful kitten this year..both abandoned on our street...I have luckily found homes for both, but also will share care of the kitten when requested by the new owners.

This is my 10th year here..I see some improvement in animal care...though large horses forever tied and in small quarters still breaks my heart. These large wonderful creatures need to run and play...not be confined! What are they thinking?? I take vegetable scraps, carrots and apples every chance I get...especially to the lovely one on Galeana.

If you would leave an animal...maybe you would also abandon your child/friend or sick spouse? Its all the same inhumanity to me....

And I agree...publish names and locations where this happens....and forbid these people from ever owning an animal here again! Public disgrace may be the answer...........

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 I have 7 dogs, most rescues. I can't possible take more. I work at Operation Amor where we do free spay and neuter for the locals. We had a clinic 2 weeks ago where we did 150 dogs and cats. The one before that we did 179 in 3 days. On the second night of this past clinic I came home tired. One of the two main movers and shakers was even more tired but on the way to her house she found two puppies tied to a pole after 8pm. This was in Chapala Haciendas where there are wild animals and loose dogs. She turned around and came down the block to my house. I kept them overnight. We got them to the clinic and fixed the next day but even with all the dog loving volunteers and patrons, we could not find a home for them. They had to go to Anitas'. These poor babes got tied to a pole after dark, had to stay in a strange place, got operated on, stayed 2 nights at Daniel's and then were shipped off to Anitas'. They did not deserve this traumatic treatment. I am not saying it was a fleeing snowbird but snowbirds, knowing better, do this. Stop and think!!! Would you treat your children or aging parents like this?

We badly need a system here where anyone who adopts a dog or a cat from a shelter fills out a form with personal details and gives a copy of his/her passport. All potential owners should be properly vetted and adopted out animals should be chipped. If the owner then dumps the dog the person can be traced when the poor creature is found. This person should be registered on a Lakeside black list and never be allowed to adopt another animal again.

I believe serious people will have absolutely no problem giving their personal details.

But it would need full cooperation from the shelters.

We badly need a system here where anyone who adopts a dog or a cat from a shelter fills out a form with personal details and gives a copy of his/her passport. All potential owners should be properly vetted and adopted out animals should be chipped. If the owner then dumps the dog the person can be traced when the poor creature is found. This person should be registered on a Lakeside black list and never be allowed to adopt another animal again.

I believe serious people will have absolutely no problem giving their personal details.

e

Excellent suggestion!

Realty check. We run overcrowded, underfunded shelters and don't have the volunteer staff to "vet" potential adopters or the funds to microchip a dog. We already pay for vaccinations and neutering and medical care and food and our resources are already stretched. We go by gut instinct and hope we are right. If we learn of one of our dogs being dumped, we have the information we were given but if someone is going to lie, and give false information, we are sunk. I have never volunteered at a shelter or rescue NOB that had that kind of funding or staffing either. We do have a form that is filled out. We don't ask for passports. And we do keep a Do Not Adopt list.

If you do not volunteer time at local shelters please do not presume to tell those who do just how they should be going about it. Spend time at the shelters, learn the REALITIES of how things work and then offer advice. You will have some hope of offering advice that is realistic and might be helpful.

Archived