Chapala.com Webboard

need new glasses

bezerk

Pinto took less than 15 minutes for 300 pesos. I felt no relationship with him at all. Felt like he just wanted my money. So, I went to check his script at LCS free. Got an hour exam and a different script. Got glasses with her at LCS. The next time, Took the free script to Costco instead for reasonably priced glasses, about half the price. Yes, it does mean two trips to Guad. But they Worked out OK. Time to redo. Thinking I will try Costco in the States this time. I have progressives. Good luck.

Lost my satisfactory glasses from Costco, went to Dr. Pinto for a replacement. These glasses keep slipping off my nose, I did return for an adjustment,

but ended up winding elastic bands on them to keep them in place. Very poor visibility through the lens, they were supposed to be progressive lens. $2,000 pesos,

and the assistant didn't even supply a case with them. Will now wait until my next trip to Canada for new "featherweight" glasses.

• 3 months later...

Have had 6 pair of glasses made here, including Costco. I wear progressives and they were never good...they just don't have the right equipment to make them in Mexico. I now get them made at LensCrafters in about an hour when I go to the states. Always perfect. They use my Rx that I get here. You would have think I would have learned my lesson after about 3 pairs here;)

I am evidently hard on lenses because they get scratched if they are plastic. No one in Mexico makes progressive lenses in glass that I need. I buy my frames here and send them to Prism Optical in Miami for featherweight, ultra-thin, progressive with Transition in glass. Expensive but I trust them to make the lenses correctly. They have a guarantee.

I have had two bad experiences with glasses via Dr. Pinto and both my husband and I had bad ones with Dr. Vargas about 14 years ago.

Recently went to Dr. Rios for unrelated eye problem and was very impressed. And from what I hear, people are happy with their glasses (done off site) -- but can not attest as have no personal experience. However, when I'm ready for new ones, it will be there.

Guest bennie2

pinto&wife FOS. very aggravating. i want to replace these lenses from 6 years back. maybe rios can do that? one eye is wrong. wish they could do it while i wait. im very UNtrusting. only kaufmanns in guad was decent for my sunlasses.

Jim Bowie, that price sounds too good to be true. Were they progressive lenses? How long did they take to get made? Would certainly be worth a trip or two if the quality is good. Can you give more info please and perhaps any contact info you have for the place. I was just in Canada and just couldn't bite the bullet for $650 dollars for lenses only.

I've seen Pinto twice. Both times I left feeling annoyed at his manner and ripped off for his fast glance at my eyes. I will never again go to him. Christina who used to work across from El Torito was excellent for service. Did she move to Dr. Rios?

Archived