Chapala.com Webboard

A new LCS course: 'The Wine, Beer and Spirits of Mexico'

suegarn

A New Lake Chapala Society Course

The Wine Beer and Spirits of Mexico

A ten-class introductory course by sommeliers Bob Atkinson and Rebeca Martin Casas. Learn all about wine types, regions, grapes, winemaking methods, wine-tasting and food pairing. Also taste and learn about craft beer, tequila and mezcal. The course includes five guided tasting sessions with food and a class tour of a tequila distillery. Classes are 90 minutes long and will be held in the Gazebo at the LCS every Friday at 3PM, starting on Jan.23, 2015.

Course fee is 2,700 pesos ($185 USD) for LCS members and 3,200 pesos ($219 USD) for non-members. Space is limited. You can register at the LCS office between 10AM and 2PM weekdays.

For more information call 333-454-8875 or Email ba0347@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is he Canadian or from Europe? His name does not appear on the Master Sommeliers in the US?

He is a Canadian certified sommelier. Unfortunately, it becomes a moot point, because there wasn't enough people signing up for the course. We may be starting up a private wine group instead. Will post more details as they become available.

Is it possible that the reality at Lakeside is that under $100 peso wines are the wines of choice or necessity and a course in the differences in high priced wines wouldn't be very useful? Those who habitually spend more already know the difference. Taste buds are the ultimate critic.

Is it possible that the reality at Lakeside is that under $100 peso wines are the wines of choice or necessity and a course in the differences in high priced wines wouldn't be very useful? Those who habitually spend more already know the difference. Taste buds are the ultimate critic.

gringal, why did you assume that we were only concentrating on high-priced wines? Nowhere in the course materials did it state that. And yes, taste buds are the ultimate critic, but they can be educated as well. Some people are astounded when they learn what they have been missing out on, because they never knew about the complexities of different grapes, regions and styles of fermentation!

I agree with your comment about many people choosing wines in a certain price bracket due to necessity (been there, done that). There are many excellent wines in the lower price brackets. I have found that some of them would definitely hold their own against some of the pricier wines.....great value!

gringal, why did you assume that we were only concentrating on high-priced wines? Nowhere in the course materials did it state that. And yes, taste buds are the ultimate critic, but they can be educated as well. Some people are astounded when they learn what they have been missing out on, because they never knew about the complexities of different grapes, regions and styles of fermentation!

I agree with your comment about many people choosing wines in a certain price bracket due to necessity (been there, done that). There are many excellent wines in the lower price brackets. I have found that some of them would definitely hold their own against some of the pricier wines.....great va

I'd be glad to admit to making an erroneous assumption, so I have one question: Approximately what percentage of the wines to be discussed are in the under $100 pesos price range? 50%? I'll make a guess: how about 20% or less?

People who can afford the better wines probably don't need the course. People who can't, probably don't feel much like paying for such a course. $2,700 to $3,200 pesos is strictly a luxury expenditure.

Just my opinion as a current member: If LCS is hoping to stay relevant, the activities should appeal to and be affordable by the average retiree or newcomer. Just for starters: membership fees shouldn't be rising faster than inflation.

I'd be glad to admit to making an erroneous assumption, so I have one question: Approximately what percentage of the wines to be discussed are in the under $100 pesos price range? 50%? I'll make a guess: how about 20% or less?

People who can afford the better wines probably don't need the course. People who can't, probably don't feel much like paying for such a course. $2,700 to $3,200 pesos is strictly a luxury expenditure.

Just my opinion as a current member: If LCS is hoping to stay relevant, the activities should appeal to and be affordable by the average retiree or newcomer. Just for starters: membership fees shouldn't be rising faster than inflation.

gringal, I'm not sure what you think is reasonable for 10 classes with two certified sommeliers, 5 of which INCLUDED food and wine, PLUS one of them included a bus tour and tasting at a tequila distillery!

And many people who can afford wine, whether it be under or over 100 pesos, can benefit from a deeper understanding of the wines they choose.

As far as your last comment regarding LCS, that has nothing to do with this course, other than the fact that we were going to hold it there. We have no control over their membership fees or choices of events!

Aren´t wine companies happy to chip in for a bottle or two for wine education? Some of the wine suppliers have free tasting at Paz so why charge so much for a 90 minute class on wine and spirits?

bmh, as I explained to gringal, there were going to be nine 90-minute classes, 5 of which INCLUDED food and wine, plus a class bus tour and tasting at a tequila factory! Also, the wine suppliers at places like La Paz aren't certified trained sommeliers, they are suppliers who are only knowledgeable about their own products!

gringal, I'm not sure what you think is reasonable for 10 classes with two certified sommeliers, 5 of which INCLUDED food and wine, PLUS one of them included a bus tour and tasting at a tequila distillery!

And many people who can afford wine, whether it be under or over 100 pesos, can benefit from a deeper understanding of the wines they choose.

As far as your last comment regarding LCS, that has nothing to do with this course, other than the fact that we were going to hold it there. We have no control over their membership fees or choices of events!

I apologize for implying that you have any personal responsibility for LCS's current policies.

Good luck with your project, but let us not fail to appreciate the free glasses of wine that are often offered by one of Paz's suppliers.

It is an unfair generalization to say wine suppliers have tunnel vision and some of them know more than a certified sommelier when it comes to the product they represent especially if you invite someone knowledgeable from one of the wineries.

Both are interesting to listen to. The sommelier will have more knowledge accross the board but some wine suppliers will also bring very good points and knowledge to the class and will also donate wine which will cut your cost..

Just my 2 cents.

By the way did you approach Paz? Some of their people could benefit from some wine

knowledge and they could pay for your classes with products.

I don't think it is too much, or wrong. Back home, someone offers a course and you either take it or leave it. This sounds like a well-conceived plan for a certain audience. I know many people who are way above my pay station who would not find the price a problem.

This is something that, therefore, needs to be advertised. Those who might be interested generally are not hanging around this board. (They're probably out buying fine wines.) Also, word-of-mouth through the right channels would help. For example, I have a good friend who would probably enjoy this; he is already out on a series of high-end cooking classes here. If I tell him, he will tell others in his circle.

If the OP feels this is no longer do-able, then suggestions for alternatives are great... but not criticism.

I appreciate all of your questions and comments, but as I stated a few days ago, this course was cancelled. We tried to change it to a format where people could sign up for individual classes, or series of classes, but that idea did not generate enough interest either. We advertised this at the LCS, in the current issue of Ojo del Lago, and put up posters all around town.

So we have decided that we're going to start up a wine group instead, that will meet once or twice a month at various restaurants. The group will have access to buying wines that are not usually available here. When the details are all worked out, we will be promoting this in various ways.

Well, in future, just my opinion: posters don't really work except for newbies. The Ojo gets read once a month and the ads completely disappear for most readers. The Guad Reporter provides a weekly reminder, and everyone who reads it looks at any new or changed ad. Meantime, best of luck.

Archived