Chapala.com Webboard

Buying new clothes washer

arlenes

We want to replace our front loading machine, have had nothing but problems and expensive repairs. Any recommendations for reliable top loaders. Especially one without a complicated motherboard.

Whirlpool. Have used them for eons (NOB and here in Mx). Always reliable. Many models to choose from so no need to get too tecnically fancy. Good tub capacities too.

Electro-Venta in Riberas (just east of 7-11) on highway is good place to buy new (or used). Excellent service guys.

I think the secret is to buy appliances with no mother board, just dials. The fancy attractive appliances I have bought died because the repair guys always said replacing the computer parts was nearly as much as buying a new one. The simple ones seem to last forever.

I think the secret is to buy appliances with no mother board, just dials. The fancy attractive appliances I have bought died because the repair guys always said replacing the computer parts was nearly as much as buying a new one. The simple ones seem to last forever.

I am in total agreement with this philosophy. Had a Mabe washing machine for nine yeas in SMA and bought another one on the coast that we used for five years. No problems ever. In SMA it was gravity fed from a tinaco and on the coast it was pressurized water. I should have kept the one on the coast but wanted a front loader because it only used 10 gallons of water...I was never totally happy with it...spun the clothes so hard that everything came out a mass of wrinkles and I had to get down on my hands and knees to fish the clothes out.

The other "improvement" on most top loaders that I hate is the locking mechanism on the lid...if the load is unbalanced you can't just flip open the lid (which makes the machine stop) and rebalance the clothes. I can tell you though, that if you FORCE the lid open and break the little switch that your life will be much easier.

Yes, exchanged my fancy-pants GE with electronic pad on the front. Sensors could not adjust to the low water pressure in my place. Got a great used Whirlpool at Electro Venta and an excellent trade-in price.

We had the same problem but bought an inline pump to increase water pressure and it works. Real low price fix

Archived