Chapala.com Webboard

How to renew US Passport while in Mexico

nycitye

There's so many X-pats here, someone must know what I can do - I hope someone does, I am worried now about taking the right steps.

I need to renew my US Passport while in Mexico -

I no longer have an address in the USA..so how/what do I do for filling in the permanent address and be able to have renewed Passport FedX'd to Mexico??

On the forms it asks for permanant address. Should I use a PO in Mexico or friend's address in Mexico? I am here on Visitor's Visa. I need it renewed from here in order to travel out of Mexico. Can anyone help with this info?

time is of the essence, I would appreciate any help with this.

thanks

The US consulate office comes to Chapala and then to the LCS once a month. You take them your old passport, photographs, the completed application form, and a check (that you get in US dollars from the little bank next to Army Wings).

They bring back your new passport the following month. They are very helpful and are used to people who make mistakes. Their website makes it sound difficult but it's really not hard.

Alternatively, you can make an appointment to go to their office in Guadalajara.

You can go to the Legion or the LCS on October 15 and get your new passport on November 12.

You can use your Mexican address.

Here's a link to their site:

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/pptrenewals2.html

and their link to Lake Chapala services:

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/service/reference-lists2.html

There's so many X-pats here, someone must know what I can do - I hope someone does, I am worried now about taking the right steps.

I need to renew my US Passport while in Mexico -

I no longer have an address in the USA..so how/what do I do for filling in the permanent address and be able to have renewed Passport FedX'd to Mexico??

On the forms it asks for permanant address. Should I use a PO in Mexico or friend's address in Mexico? I am here on Visitor's Visa. I need it renewed from here in order to travel out of Mexico. Can anyone help with this info?

time is of the essence, I would appreciate any help with this.

thanks

As far as I know if you leave Mexico with an expired US passport when you go through US immigration they cannot refuse you admitance into the US.

Renewing here can be done at the US consulate in Guadalajara. You recieve the new passport there by picking it up when it is ready. I have read it takes a couple of weeks and you need to make an appointment to start the process.

If you live in Mexico, you use your Mexican address. Simple. Especially if you have no other address and are renewing in Mexico.

If you tried to renew in the USA without an address there.........??????

I seriously doubt that you can have it sent to you in Mexico. You must go to a US consulate in Mexico.

The US Consulate will be at LCS next Wed 15 Oct at approximately 10:00 a.m., (after they go to the American Legion in Chapala). You can submit your completed passport renewal form there, with your photos and a check for the renewal fee that you obtain at CI Banco which is in the Laguna mall by the Movie Space cinema. They will bring your new passport back to LCS the following month.

More info here from the LCS website. Note the date of October 8 is incorrect; this month it was changed to October 15.

http://www.lakechapalasociety.com/website/ConsulateNews/uscg.php

That's terrific! I will be there...The requirements for photos are on the application form.

(copied from the gov site)

I am unclear about the renewal fees 'check' and why it needs to be obtained at Ci Banco?

Is there a standard process that that Bank provides? Is that the mall by Black Coffee, across from WalMart??Thank's so much for your help. The passport expires the end of November! yikes....

I renewed through the US Consulate in Guad. Made an appointment, filled out and printed the forms on line, went and took a ticket on my appointed date and time (like Baskin-Robbins) went up to the window, paid the fee and paid for delivery to my house in San Antonio Tlay. Wait time approximately 45 minutes. They sent me regular emails on the progress of the passport and in about 10 days, maybe eight, the delivery service they use brought my passport to my house. I believe the delivery charge was 95 pesos. Alternatively, they will deliver to LCS or VFW on their next monthly visit.

That's terrific! I will be there...The requirements for photos are on the application form.

(copied from the gov site)

I am unclear about the renewal fees 'check' and why it needs to be obtained at Ci Banco?

Is there a standard process that that Bank provides? Is that the mall by Black Coffee, across from WalMart??Thank's so much for your help. The passport expires the end of November! yikes....

It has to be in US dollars and CI Bank does it all the time. You can pay them in Pesos. I think it is $110US. They will know. Just see the lady at reception. She speaks English and will take care of everything.

The US Consulate will be at LCS next Wed 15 Oct at approximately 10:00 a.m., (after they go to the American Legion in Chapala). You can submit your completed passport renewal form there, with your photos and a check for the renewal fee that you obtain at CI Banco which is in the Laguna mall by the Movie Space cinema. They will bring your new passport back to LCS the following month.

More info here from the LCS website. Note the date of October 8 is incorrect; this month it was changed to October 15.

http://www.lakechapalasociety.com/website/ConsulateNews/uscg.php

Note that the sign up sheet is available at 10am. The consulate can and does arrive between 10:20 and 10:45?

There is a photographer at LCS while you are waiting who can take and print your photos. If you cannot or do not want to

print and or complete your application on line, the LCS office has copies for 8 pesos.

Archived