Chapala.com Webboard

Good News for Ebay Shoppers in Mexico!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is under $50 usd no duty, that even applies now. I get packages every week and now they are asking for my drivers license and I have to sign for all my packages. But this is the MX mail service.

But since they are going to use Estefeta The program provides the shoppers with a tracking number and does not cover customs and duties fees, which customers pay. So I wonder if they will be charging duty.

So who wants to be the first guinea pig and report back to all of us. Just make sure your first package is under $50 usd to see if they charge you duty and not books.

We would be happy to split the cost of the one year delivery fee and all packages could be shipped to Jocotepec and could be dropped off to Ajijic etc once a week.

PM if you are interested....we can divide the yearly cost by however many folks are interested. I can lay out the IVA and service cost for customs and you can repay us when we deliver.

http://www.internetretailer.com/2014/07/30/ebay-launches-shipping-subscription-program-latin-america

For a $49 annual fee, online shoppers in Colombia, Chile and Mexico can get free shipping for a year on purchases from eBay merchants in the U.S. It’s the latest in a series of moves by eBay to increase its sales in Latin America.

Some Latin American consumers who crave Western brands sold on eBay can now get all they want delivered to their doorsteps for less than $50 a year in shipping fees.

Under a new program launched by the marketplace, consumers in Chile, Mexico and Colombia pay $49 annually to cover shipping fees for all the goods they purchase from eBay sellers in the United States.

The Amazon Prime-like shipping program, called eBay 365, is just one in a string of recent moves eBay has made recently to ramp us business in Latin America, says Marco Ottonello, head of Latin America business operations at eBay. EBay launched the program first in Chile in April, followed by Colombia in May and Mexico in June, he says.

After three months of offering the program in Chile, eBay 365 had already produced twice the sales eBay had projected for the initial six months, Ottonello and Wendy Jones, vice president of geographic expansion and cross-border trade for eBay, tell Internet Retailer in an interview announcing the program.

“In every single case, the early adoptions of this exceeded our expectations,” Jones says.

While the program helps Latin America shoppers purchase hard-to-find or unique U.S. goods for a reasonable annual shipping fee, it also helps U.S. merchants tap the emerging e-commerce markets in those three countries, Ottonello and Jones say.

With eBay 365, U.S. eBay merchants don’t need to worry about international shipping fees because they ship items ordered through the program to a warehouse in the U.S. From there, depending on the final destination, a regional shipping provider takes care of getting it to the shopper. EBay uses Estafeta for deliveries to Mexico, eShopex for Chile and Aeropost for Colombia.

“The beauty of the program is that these guys are in the business of moving big freight,” Ottonello says. “They consolidate all these orders and move them in bulk with other shipments each day.” That process helps keep the shipping costs down. The program provides the shoppers with a tracking number and does not cover customs and duties fees, which customers pay. In Colombia, shoppers can opt to pick up packages at a network of local businesses eBay has contracted with.

The program represent’s eBay’s latest move to increase sales to Latin American shoppers. In May, eBay launched localized sites in Latin America enabling consumers in 18 countries throughout the region to shop eBay’s online and mobile marketplaces in Spanish and Portuguese using local currencies.

The company also in May launched a Portuguese version of its main mobile app; eBay already has a mobile app in Spanish. In September 2013, eBay launched a Portuguese-language fashion mobile app called eBay Moda, but this new site and mobile app enable consumers to access eBay’s entire inventory. EBay’s mobile app now comes in seven languages, including Russian.

At the end of 2013, more than two million Latin American shoppers purchased items off eBay.com in English and using U.S. dollars, the company says. With the new localization efforts, that number has grown 40% to 50% so far for 2014, Jones says. She says the number of items purchased from Mexico is up 30% in the first half of 2014 compared with a year earlier, and 25% of purchases on eBay by a Latin America shopper is made via a mobile device.

EBay also is testing enabling Brazilian shoppers to fund their PayPal accounts with Boleto Bancário, a service that invoices a consumer at checkout and enables a shopper to make a payment at her local bank, post office, ATM or lottery outlet. Currently, eBay shoppers in Latin America can only pay using PayPal, which eBay owns.

Brazil is much more of a cash-based society than the U.S., and some experts estimate that around one-third of online purchases are paid for with Boleto in Brazil. Additionally, many shoppers only have local credit cards in the country, and Brazilian shoppers who wish to fund a PayPal account via credit card for now must use an international card, eBay says. With the Boleto option, consumers could shop on any web site, including eBay, and check out using PayPal without an international credit card, eBay says.

If it is under $50 usd no duty, that even applies now. I get packages every week and now they are asking for my drivers license and I have to sign for all my packages. But this is the MX mail service.

But since they are going to use Estefeta The program provides the shoppers with a tracking number and does not cover customs and duties fees, which customers pay. So I wonder if they will be charging duty.

So who wants to be the first guinea pig and report back to all of us. Just make sure your first package is under $50 usd to see if they charge you duty and not books.

How much are you paying for shipping on your weekly packages? Thanks.

how do you sign up?

I have searched eBay and have found lots of information for the SELLER to enroll (free) in the Global Shipping Program. I am not able to find any information for the BUYER to pay and join. Anyone have a link to the right spot?

I have searched eBay and have found lots of information for the SELLER to enroll (free) in the Global Shipping Program. I am not able to find any information for the BUYER to pay and join. Anyone have a link to the right spot?

I think this is a program for vendors not customers.

http://365dropship.com/faq

365dropship allow you to add high demand products from our extensive catalog to sell at your store, ship the orders directly to customers all over the world, and help increase your profits an excellent solution for people with existing stores anywhere online and those of you looking to break into the eCommerce market. We propose you to download products from the hundreds of bestselling products from a variety of niches with affordable prices to choose from our catalog. We have teamed up with some of the best suppliers worldwide in order to create an attractive line of products, thousands of products ranging from fashion, cosmetics, jewelry, Holy land’s crafts, herbals, software and more are offered for you directly on 365dropship. We at 365dropship believe that you are the key for our successful business so we offer you to earn up to 70% commission on each sale! The profit relates to the recommended retail price as mentioned on 365dropship catalog.
Shipping Worldwide:
Our product catalog contains many different niches and categories supplied worldwide. We generally drop ship worldwide (though there might be exceptions depending on customers shipping address and chosen product). Please note: we have huge product catalog, some products may be subject to limitations placed by the suppliers in terms of customer’s country customs or shipping exceptions - we recommend you to contact us for more details once you selected your products.

Only partly on topic, but I have had numerous items shipped direct to my home by Amazon and have never been charged duty, only IVA. Amazon estimates the IVA and charges that amount. In fact, I have a $200US package in transit from Amazon with shipping free and only IVA charged. Usually, a month or so after I receive a shipment, I receive a small refund to reflect the actual IVA paid.

So I don't think duty should be an issue with the EBay program.

Spencer posted the right site.

There is duty but it depends on the product.

http://www.estafetamembers.com/preguntas-frecuentes

What happens after my purchases arrive in Laredo?
Once your order arrives at the warehouse Estafeta in Laredo, TX are measured and weighed the boxes. Then the contents of each package, to comply with customs regulations and also to verify that the products match the interior detailed in the bill is reviewed. In the event that your package arrives without an invoice from the store will send you an automated email so you can send the invoice or receipt so we can manage the delivery of your purchase to Mexico. After reviewing the order and received the bill, Estafeta will send an email with the detailed amount of taxes you must pay, if applicable, and the number Estafeta guide that you can use to track your purchase. Remember that any product of less than $ 50 value does not pay duties and VAT.

It could be great, but the articles themselves make no mention of what kind of problems buyers have faced with the duties. This is an area open to wild fluctuation. So for me, the guinea pig would be several shipments, to see "generally" what happens.

Right now I'm happy to have Hugh Roberts bring stuff down. He pays a flat 16% IVA at the border, and has it down to a science. He never gets jerked around.

And no, this is a program for "online shoppers"... it just also makes it easier for all vendors to ship stuff to us.

It doesn't say "any"

"Remember that any product of less than $ 50 value does not pay duties and VAT."

I wonder if this means that if it is the listed stuff Electronic, clothes, footwear and other goods. are in the 16% whether they are over or under the $50 mark.

Other goods wow that is pretty broad, so it is up to their discretion.

http://www.internetretailer.com/2014/07/30/ebay-launches-shipping-subscription-program-latin-america

For a $49 annual fee, online shoppers in Colombia, Chile and Mexico can get free shipping for a year on purchases from eBay merchants in the U.S. It’s the latest in a series of moves by eBay to increase its sales in Latin America.

Joco posted, "I think this is a program for vendors not customers."

The article clearly states that this is a paid service for online SHOPPERS. I am unable to find anything on the eBay website regarding sign-up and payment. Does anyone have any information?

Through the Global Shipping Program, your shipping-related Detailed Seller Ratings will be protected and you are not responsible for loss or damage during international transit. This program is great for buyers, too, as they’ll see the complete and total price of their purchase up-front during checkout—so they won’t be surprised by additional taxes or duties when the item arrives. - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/10/attention-sellers-global-shipping-program-will-soon-ship-to-singapore-mexico-new-zealand-israel-and-the-philippines/#sthash.iiUpaFW8.dpuf

So the thing to remember is, when you buy on eBay, you are buying from a vendor. Not eBay. This program, then, makes it easy for those vendors to ship to us here in Mexico, but we are still the ones that go online and order. eBay calculates everything instantly, gives the price to you and the vendor at the same time, and then you order... everything is transparent.

The only problem I have with eBay (I never bid; I only order) is sometimes you have to commit to a purchase before you get to see the shipping price. When that happens, the vendor loses my business before he even gets it.

You can phone the customs clearance person for Estafeta U.S.A. in Laredo and ask if she can clear the items you are wanting to order. I see this as an attempt to compete with Amazon, which has an excellent record in Mexico except they do not like to deliver to residences, often no one home. Use a box service to accept. If there is money to collect, which happens too frequently, they want the cash in hand. The box service, like iShop, has an account with all the courier companies, and will wait for you to repay them when you come in to pickup the item.

Joco posted, "I think this is a program for vendors not customers."

The article clearly states that this is a paid service for online SHOPPERS. I am unable to find anything on the eBay website regarding sign-up and payment. Does anyone have any information?

I posted what I found on Google for 360 shipping, after that Spencer posted the correct link.

I received this from Johanna Hoff with Ebay:

"In Mexico, we partner with Estafeta on the delivery. You can get more information at estafeta.com/ebay and sign up for the program."

It could be great, but the articles themselves make no mention of what kind of problems buyers have faced with the duties. This is an area open to wild fluctuation. So for me, the guinea pig would be several shipments, to see "generally" what happens.

Right now I'm happy to have Hugh Roberts bring stuff down. He pays a flat 16% IVA at the border, and has it down to a science. He never gets jerked around.

And no, this is a program for "online shoppers"... it just also makes it easier for all vendors to ship stuff to us.

Does Hugh Roberts still take packages El Norte? I used to use him but lost track over a year ago. Anyone have his contact #? Thanks

Does Hugh Roberts still take packages El Norte? I used to use him but lost track over a year ago. Anyone have his contact #? Thanks

I got an email from him a few months ago saying he was starting up again and then nothing. I assume he changed his mind.

Archived